Run Hours Meter?

So…
I’ve found myself wondering lately if some equipment is seeing more use than SWIM thinks it does.
I know we WANT to do the RFID thing, but…well…it’s been a while, and not here yet, so…

What about some good old-fashioned hour meters on our major equipment/outlets?
https://www.amazon.com/AC100-250V-Electromechanical-Hour-Meter-Counter/dp/B008MM0CV0
I was thinking mostly for Metal Shop ( @dallasmagna @TBJK) e.g. sandblast cabinet seems always to be in bad repair; does it see more use than we think? and PlasmaCAM because some folks seem to think it doesn’t ever get used, but I think it does…
@ $9.00/unit maybe we should have a few.
Thoughts?

1 Like

Tanners has quite a few versions of those, in stock.

1 Like

What is the “RFID thing”? Scan your chip to send power to the equipment for use, and it logs it?

1 Like

You got it. Except for the logging part. I don’t know if that happens. But it seems like it COULD.
Only the HAAS is currently working, as far as I know, though I think the MutliCAM is, once did, or will soon use a similar set up…

Really not a bad idea at all. We can tie it into the vacuum circuit and establish how often the filter needs to be cleaned on the sandblaster.

2 Likes

I’m trying to remember what I was told, but I don’t think the door even logs entries - just allows them. It’s an interesting concept. Being able to tie when equipment breaks to an RFID, for example…

1 Like

The RFID concept is that a tool that requires Training to be be completed prior to use, would have an RFID reader that won’t allow the tool to be powered up unless the person badges the the tool which then verifies the operator is qualified to use it.

It also provides a history of tool use and who was the last to use it and time - so when someone breaks something or it goes down and is NOT reported, then we know where to look. For the most part DMS is pretty forgiving about mishaps, what we aren’t forgiving about is when something breaks and the person doesn’t report it. This prevents a repair action from being taken quickly getting it back into service and when another member comes in to use it and discovers it, and they report it.

1 Like

Thanks to the work of @zmetzing

4 Likes