Ruby on Rails Development canceled? Any idea why

Any ideas on why the Ruby on rails development class was canceled for tomorrow?

It was mentioned that the class was full and Kirk was rescheduling. A few hours later I got canceled altogether.

Kirk is so kind for doing these classes. Hopefully get started again.

Brooks

2 Likes

I have no conclusive answer yet but Iā€™m thinking itā€™s just a matter of trying to schedule resources vs attendees.

I plan on showing up of sunday to gather attendee info in case folks werenā€™t fully in the loop. Ie the meetups etc.

3 Likes

I just happened to see this. I signed up and was really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I accidentally hit ā€œcancelā€ last week while I was looking at the class information. I emailed Kirk about reinstating my registration. But, I never heard anything back from him.

For future reference, is there any way to re-register for a class if you have cancelled it?

James

1 Like

No, you canā€™t. I believe this is by design to discourage casual signups with high dropouts.

Hello,

Has anyone heard if these classes will be rescheduled? I was really looking forward to taking these classes, and I even went out and bought a refurbed MacBook Pro. If not does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can take classes similar to what was going to be taught?

Thanks.

Matthew

Hey Matthew, I took this class 2 years ago, and the instructor advises which resources to take to get up to speed. I also purchased a refurbished MacBook Air and it did everything I needed. Do you have a Dallas library card so you can access Lynda.com for free?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll call Kirk and ask him. Iā€™ll report back here as he answers. I know what an awesome teacher he is and highly sought to share his teaching skills.

3 Likes

You can learn a good bit about software development on sites like Udemy. They run sales constantly where all the courses are around $10, and some of the courses are nearly as good as in person training in my opinion. I donā€™t know what your experience level is, but Iā€™d be happy to help find a few that might be right for you.

Another really good resource is freeCodeCamp. Theyā€™re a nonprofit that have a really well designed curriculum (and yes itā€™s really free). Itā€™s a slightly different set of technologies from what this class was going to cover, but theyā€™re not any less relevant. If youā€™re starting as a total beginner itā€™s probably the best thing you can do - the community there is awesome and they have meetups everywhere.

2 Likes

Thank you! I found a lot of sites that had great information for learning Ruby, at least as far as the syntax and programming piece goes. What I was really looking forward to, as far as this course is concerned, were all of the other pieces that were going to be put together, for example, Github, actually making an app, publishing that app, deploying the backend on AWS, etc. I could be wrong, but to a noob like me, Itā€™s one thing to learn the syntax for a language and how to develop using that language, itā€™s a whole different ball game to learn all of the other pieces involved in applying that language to actually create something, and this is really what I was looking forward to in taking this class.

I really hope this gets rescheduled. Iā€™d even be willing to pay.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I want to learn Ruby on Rails too, so I am interested in this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah I get you, putting those pieces together is difficult to get your head around even once you understand the code well. The company I work for, Linux Academy, does online courses for infrastructure, Git, and those sorts of technologies if youā€™re interested in learning it. Thereā€™s not a whole lot of direct tie-in to RoR specifically but I think itā€™s interesting and a good way to complement your coding skills. I donā€™t want to be spammy or hijack the thread but feel free to shoot me a message if youā€™re interested and I can give you more info.

If you want a resource that I donā€™t have a vested interest in, Learn AWS by Doing is really good and AWS has some official recommendations that Iā€™ve used and found helpful.

In the meantime until the classes are rescheduled, I would recommend starting with Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training. The reason to start with Rails 4 is two-fold: 1) existing apps youā€™ll see in the workplace are still predominantly on Rails 4 (they havenā€™t upgraded yet), and 2) youā€™ll gain a deeper understanding of the how Rails has evolved when you do eventually pick up Rails 5.

You can use Git to commit your changes chapter by chapter and push that to your GitHub repo. I did this for Rails 5 and used atomic commits to track my progress through the course. While youā€™re going thru the course, you can also blog about what youā€™re learning to help yourself solidify understanding and have something to show employers your enthusiasm.

Finally, on the subject of AWS, I wouldnā€™t worry too much about that at this point. At my first gig we used Heroku, and where Iā€™m at now we deploy on-premise. You can pick it up as needed.

1 Like

- ? -

Atomic means that every Git commit is only related to one single task or feature. Figuring out when/what to commit is almost a skill of its own, and atomic commits are one way people try to organize their code so itā€™s easy to roll back and follow the progression of how a project was developed.

Ah, a misnomer. Got it. ā€œDiscreteā€ is probably a better word choice.

I wouldnā€™t call it a misnomer, just a domain-specific term. ā€œAtomicityā€ is pretty well defined in the software world and I assume they (whoever decides these things) chose it because ā€œdiscreteā€ has a different meaning in math, which overlaps computer science in a few areas.

The term is frequently used in database and transaction discussions. It probably makes sense for the most part here.

Itā€™s the ā€œAā€ in ACID:

1 Like

Naw. Iā€™ve already thought of another much better term (not ā€œdiscreteā€).

But, it is what is. Itā€™s not the first time software developers have arrogantly twisted the English language. And, it certainly wonā€™t be the last.

And ā€¦ I suspect you will appreciate this ā€¦ industrial control systems. But, in that realm, you may cross paths with the two-phase commits dangerous cousin: the three-phase commit.

- ? -

(I hate to be a nag but Iā€™m actually concerned about Kirk. In the first meeting he was seriously fired up to run this class. My imagination is running wild, in a bad way, with reasons he would cancel so abruptly.)