Resignation of Woodshop Chairman

I resign as the Woodshop Committee Chairman effective today February 20, 2020.

Last evening, I was informed by a Dallas Maker Space Officer that I was an “ineffective money waster”. This statement, among others, creates the impression that my leadership in the woodshop is neither appreciated or desired.

I am very disappointed. And after reflecting on my efforts over the past 16 months of membership, it is clear that my vision, efforts, and volunteering for the Woodshop are inconsistent with DMS’s direction.

1 Like

thank you for your time and effort as chairperson.

12 Likes

I assure you this is not true.

Me too.

Thank you for your hard work.

9 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear this, Mike, though I can understand why you feel the way you do about it. I once had an abusive boss and I’m sure the feeling is similar.

Please know that those on the ground in the woodshop appreciate your efforts.

8 Likes

Perhaps we should look into removing that officer from any position of authority at DMS.
That was an uncalled for remark and inappropriate for the officers of this organization.

15 Likes

What a crushing loss to the Space. Your generous spirit anchors our most popular committee. You have helped so many access and grow in this popular craft.

Thank you for all have done. The vast majority of the MakerSpace appreciates it.

14 Likes

Which officer? Surely this should be public knowledge since they’re representing the space?

6 Likes

This has gone far enough. Maybe you should ask those of us who know the true value of what you bring to the woodshop to speak on your behalf.

You have every right to resign if you want to, but the treatment you received is completely inappropriate.

I personally believe in you and your leadership, Mike.

Verbal abuse of our most “giving” volunteers by people in authority positions is unacceptable.

I don’t know who said this, but I’d love to see how he or she would perform as woodshop chair. I doubt that person could hold a candle to @shoottx.

7 Likes

Probably this conversation right here

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/new-pay-to-play-model/68319/34?u=lordrook

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Your volunteer efforts and time as the woodshop chair are appreciated.

3 Likes

The comment, if made, was demeaning and abusive. I don’t know who made it but I can only assume it is the same person who has harassed and physically intimidated member(s), has been insulting and demeaning to at least one disabled member on Talk and engaged in other unexcellent behavior - all in violation of several rules.

1 Like

That was directed at Mark, not Mike. I don’t think that was it.

Mark is another great contributor.

4 Likes

I know. I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. There was speculation (above) that this thing with Mike was about a linked conversation that Mark had here on Talk. I was just saying I don’t think that’s what it’s about.

2 Likes

Thank you for your time and effort
You really spent all day every day working hard to make woodshop & DMS a better place and it showed.
Enjoy your extra project making time

7 Likes

Mike, you are an amazing leader. Thank you very much for all of your hard work and dedication to the woodshop committee. We have learned a lot under your leadership. This entire situation is unfortunate. It’s a shame to see any of our volunteers efforts taken for granted.

8 Likes

Thank you for all you have done for the space I hope who ever made that comment sees how much we appreciate you as chair and will miss your leadership

6 Likes

Sorry to hear it Mike. We were beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel now that all of the big power tools are finally back up and running (for now). Is is VERY disappointing that you were not given any more support from the board. Losing you will be a huge setback for the Woodshop.

8 Likes

Dooot. You. Can’t. Nope nopes :neutral_face:

6 Likes

First I have to say that Mike and Mark have done alot for woodshop. The countless hours put in and volunteering has greatly impacted the woodshop positively. They are both great guys doing the best they can in the most trafficked area of makerspace.

I started membership after my wife found the space 3 to 4 years ago. I was too busy with work to do much with it but she took alot of classes. She told me Mark’s woodshop basics courses were hands down one of the top quality classes taught by anyone. She is a teacher (as a profession) and took alot of classes at makerspace so this is saying something.

I remember how active the space was and how many classes there were. The space from my view was great, but I didn’t have the necessary time to get into the woodshop.

Around the time the expansion starting going money for the space seemed to become a problem. The leadership who seemed to promote a fairly great environment for the space honestly to me seemed ill prepared for the financial issues a expansion requires. I am not trying to knock the board as I know volunteer positions like this for no pay that require this many hours are hard. To expect a volunteer that is into craftmaking to run an expansion that would truly need an experienced business person to deal with is expecting to much. Most people I know who have never had experience with large contracting projects get screwed over by the contractors in some way or the other the first time.

With the space financially in crisis and being too busy with life me and my wife let the membership go a while.

I started finding time for my hobby of ukulele building a few months later and was in need of larger tools to process lumber down. I had all the smaller tools but nothing large. I started membership back up in August last year and found the space very different.

The new board had taken over in a time of crisis and did the best they could with what they were given. With the class system newly changed I was worried I wouldn’t get the woodshop basics course in quick, but managed some how.

The breadboard class was taught by Mike that I took and was about 5 hours + I think in total. I learned alot even with a decent amount of experience with wood working. To expect a new wood worker to be able to do a project on their own without help would be crazy, but this is not a knock against Mike and Mark. They volunteer countless hours and new people really should find one of the many other experienced members to help them with tasks.

Wood working is a very popular hobby. It makes sense why it is so heavily trafficked by new and existing members. The machines are big, expensive, and dangerous. We don’t have the current amount of volunteers needed to properly police it as needed.

The new board to me comes off overly hostile to the woodshop leadership. I ended up finding some of the last essential tools needed for my ukulele building on craigslist very recently and decided since the woodshop was being so heavily stifled from the new board to not renew my membership in March.

I understand that money is tight, but Mark and Mike are volunteers. The board is treating them like paid employees that should somehow manage a task too big for them alone. The needed volunteers will not step up knowing they will get the same horrible treatment. Therefore the task will stay too big and then inevitably what leadership there is will burn out. I saw a resignation from the woodshop leadership a mile away.

I applaud Mike for all his time and effort. He was greatly under appreciated. Mark is also immensely under appreciated. If we lose Mark too I think woodshop is going to be a storage room of mostly broken tools and a waste of space for many months until the board figures stuff out.

Money is tight yes. The expansion taxed the space and it will probably take years to recover. I really hope things work themselves out and Dallas makerspace has more glory days in the future.

The new board faces alot of problems, but please be patient with volunteers doing their best. A few months ago I wanted to start being more involved with woodshop beyond my own making, but after seeing more and more hostility from the board I decided I wasn’t going to volunteer just to put myself through a bad time.

9 Likes