Request: if you see a trash can this full, empty it, don't add anything to it

It’s storage for Blacksmithing so either their chair or a Board member maybe?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a garbage truck that has handling equipment for a dumpster our size that operates on the side… they’d have to ballast the other side like crazy to keep it from tipping over, and then you have 10K lbs on the other side you have to drive around with…

The side operation trucks are all mainly for the 100 gallon bins, as far as I know. I think I’ve seen a side raised truck that’ll do a 2 or 3 yard dumpster, but I’m pretty sure ours is an 8.

1 Like

I like your idea of getting rid of the large can(s) and replacing with smaller cans. This accomplishes several things:

(1) Since less stuff fits in there, more people get accustomed to emptying the trash instead of waiting for the mythical trash elves to do it.
(2) It’s easier for more people to lift into the dumpster alone
(3) If it’s not as much of an ordeal to empty it, more people might be inclined to do so (OK, I had wine with lunch - this one is probably a fantasy)
(4) Anything that’s too big to fit in there probably merits a special trip to the dumpster anyway.

1 Like

Smaller cans would work especially well in woodshop, since chunks of 2x4 are much denser than mostly empty bags from Taco Bruno, et al.

1 Like

I think this thread needs the new name, “trash talk.”

It always surprises me how very useful collaboration comes from the strangest prompts.

The main reason the dumpster was moved to it’s present location is because the dumpster will not be emptied if a car is blocking access to the dumpster. This happened often and this was the best solution.
Moving the dumpster closer to the building might work if no one blocks access to it. I’m not sure what the chances are for it to not be blocked.

2 Likes

Spike strips come to mind

4 Likes

An open contract for anyone with a truck big enough to just drag violators vehicles out of the spot when they see it??

3 Likes

I’d say crush any vehicles blocking the dumpster - or let the metal shop have it and do something like this…

4 Likes

I have an F250 4x4 that should work fine for that. :slight_smile:

I’ll simply put it in 4 wheel Low.

For god sakes people, don’t stack trash bags in front of the dumpster either. They will NOT empty the dumpster if that stuff is in the way. It’s not like at home where you can put a few bags out & they take them.

5 Likes

I found it like that when I went to the space around noon today. Garbage service emptied the dumpster so Thomas (don’t know his username) and I put the rest of the garbage in the empty dumpster.

Does anyone know if we missed the garbage collection on Monday?

Thanks for doing that!

Yes, the pickup was missed on Monday, likely because trash was stacked on top of the open lids of the dumpster… not cool.

I left after midnight last night and the dumpster was OBVIOUSLY full but there was nothing in front of it on the ground…behind it next to the trailer was a different story. The bags of sawdust were obvious in clear bags, There were other boxes other misc bags of trash as well.

I’m not a fan of leaving trash outside and not in the dumpster. Much of the DMS trash includes food items which can attract 4 legged rodents and other pests.

1 Like

Yeah that’s where I moved the ones in front. They felt like they were from the workshop but I’m sure people put food or empty beverage containers there. Thomas and I got all the remaining bags and stuff that blew out of them, at least that we could find, and put them in the dumpster.

That makes a lot of sense and totally not cool.

1 Like

Yeah I moved about 6-8 bags beside the trailer from where they were in front of the dumpster. It was kinda late & there already were about 4 bags beside the trailer. Otherwise I may have taken them back inside

1 Like

If the tow truck removing the car can be seen - can we see the learning disabled folks over filling the dumpster?

2 Likes

I’ve got shots of three of the woodshop brain trust leaving bags of sawdust in front of the dumpster at about 8pm on 4/18/17.

2 Likes

And we have a thread over here where the bags are talked about…

1 Like

There would also be additional people putting black bags from the workshop in front of the dumpster after @TBJK moved those and before noon today.