Request: if you see a trash can this full, empty it, don't add anything to it

Please.

11 Likes

Full? Them ain’t full! :smiley:

Where is the dumpster to which these should be taken? And where are the bags to replace with?

2 Likes

That’s frustrating.
I honestly think areas would be good to post monthly and daily “jobs/tasks/chores” of the specific area - to be checked off when done. I tried…can’t say it was successful…but at least we tried. So many things to do and I don’t believe members are purposefully not doing them. I just don’t think they know what to do.
Cleaning Schedule .pdf (280.0 KB)

Dumpster is in the back - exit out the warehouse ramp or door located at the end of the ramp.
New trash bags are in the kitchen on the bottom shelf. I try to put an extra bag under the open bag so someone doesn’t need to go get an extra one.

6 Likes

Nichole’s right about wherecto get bags, but I wouldn’t do the “extra bag in the bottom” trick for the workshop cans: they are usually lifted and dumped into the dumpster rather than having the bag pulled out. The spare would likely end up in the dumpster as well.

2 Likes

When they are this full, whomever ends up taking the trash out has to pull the top several inches of trash off by hand and throw into the dumpster bit by bit, which can vary from frustrating to disgusting depending on the squishiness of the contents.

I often “commit a neatness” near the end of my visits to DMS by carrying out some trash. Just takes a couple of mins and helps keep the place neater. I often do the woodshop bins because they are heavy (easier for me perhaps than for others). If everyone did likewise (dumping trash, putting tools away, perhaps running a broom around the woodshop tools/floor) the place would look cleaner and stay cleaner, as people tend to be tidier in a tidy work environment (and vice versa).

The “tragedy of the Commons” is a real issue in a shared work environment, and everyone should be extra aware of the potential for abuse.

(Stepping off soapbox now).

10 Likes

yes, i saw you doing that in the galley last night - though you might be feeding your own Mr. Fusion with some squishy stuff…

p.s. it was good meeting you for the axle delivery!

Those trash cans get so full so fast, we should probably build some dollies for them.

Off topic - speaking of building things, did you use any particular plan for the stitching ponies or just wing it?

The workshop cans near automotive and the hand tools have had dollies for months. The Kitchen cans recently got dollies as well, though the bags there are usually pretty light.

There is one large white can in the woodshop without wheels: it’d be nice to replace that to two other cans with wheels, IMHO. There may be other cans w/out wheels around DMS as well.

2 Likes
1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Stitching ponies

And I’ll bet that at least one of those cans has a sign on it that says (something to the effect of) Chips and Dust only no larger than 2".

You have a valid point about the spare bag being tossed out when the can is emptied. Maybe Woodshop should keep a box of spare bags back there someplace. It’s a small thing, but everything that makes it less inconvenient to empty is less discouraging to someone who might otherwise help.

2 Likes

Whoops. Edited to say the thread refreshed after I posted and a saw that all of below had been covered.

Nevermind. I’ll try to remember to double tap to refresh when on my phone.

Bags are on the steel shelf left of the sink in the (what do we call the market/eating/personal storage room again?)

I’ve started leaving two or three at the bottom of the can when I take the trash out in CA. Makes it easier.

Here’s my complaint: vehicles parked closely to the dumpster. Now that there’s a forging trailer it can be a hike around it all. I can see why the cleaning service uses the big door and ramp.

There is a key fob reader at the bottom of the ramp should someone close the big door while one is emptying trash into the dumpster.

Even if you’ve got the :muscle: to lift a full can over your head it sure is pain in the ass, even for two people. Dust and crap goes everywhere. The lids are annoying to flip. Folks lose the entire can into the dumpster on occasion… [These are not* excuses for today’s trash cans.]

With that in mind, would it make sense to move the dumpster about half way closer to the building from where it currently sits? With it right next to the ramp, we’d be able to dump the cans from about waste high. Someone would need to check with the garbage company to see how much clearance the truck needs…

Awesome idea or horrible??

1 Like

Except for the set up the company who empties it might require, I like it.

It occupied a choice spot next to the stairs prior to the Great Dumpster Fire of 2016 (or was it '15?).
That was much nicer.
I think yours is a lovely idea.
I don’t think the servicer cares, as long as they can get a truck to it.

They only use garbage trucks with front lifts/forks around here, right? None of those fancy side lift ones…

Also, that shiny white box trailer seems to be preemptively protesting the dumpster relocation. It’s even chained itself to the handrail. Who knew a trailer could be so passionate about trash?!?

I can move everything around if we’d like to make a trial run. I just need to know who’s in charge of the trailer so that it can be unlocked.

1 Like