Request: if you see a trash can this full, empty it, don't add anything to it

At about 8pm last night there were several bags full of sawdust placed IN FRONT of the dumpster, blocking access for the dumpster pickup. @TBJK later moved them to the side of the trailer so that the dumpster could be emptied today.

This is not acceptable, and if it continues, I will be posting pictures of the members who insist on placing trash on top of, and in front of the dumpster.

Youā€™re reprimanding someone for cleaning up. This was done by people with no ill will and easily remedied.

It can be solved by a simple PM/post to please do not place bags in front of the dumpster, the garbage person might not pick it up if there are bags in front of the dumpster.

Please try and see the good in people every now and then.

5 Likes

Time for a trash compactor??

Iā€™m reprimanding people for not thinking about what they are doing.

I applaud the cleaning up the woodshop, but then going and dumping that trash in an inappropriate area is not excellent.

Dumping the bags in front of the dumpster is slightly better than leaving them in the middle of automotive.

2 Likes

Is the dumpster DMS property? Can we spraypaint a message on it? I also (unfortunately) would have assumed trash that is next to the garbage would also be picked up.

1 Like

Nopeā€¦

Probably shouldnā€™t Nopeā€¦

ā€¦and, Nope.

They won't pick up anything that's not inside of the closed dumpster, and won't pick up the dumpster if it's overflowing...

Iā€™ve been thinking about this since I left the Space today. I know Iā€™ve seen dumpsters with signs saying not to block them. Iā€™m always wary of the effectiveness of signs though, seems like folks are so numb to them (myself included).

I also wonder what the potential problem of having trash bags spread around the back or sides of the dumpster could be to a PR/Neighbor relations aspect. It seems like we missed the trash collection on Monday due to trash bags on the lid which really just created a larger problem.

@LisaSelk beat me and had the better answers.

Yeah the garbage truck driver saw me start putting in the other trash and he was gone in a jiffyā€¦well after taking a picture, or at least thatā€™s what it looked like. Probably snapchatting his day away

Priorities, yā€™knowā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

They do not like to get out of the truck, thatā€™s for sure. Itā€™s almost like they conspire to mess enclosures up so they donā€™t have to open & close them every time.

LOL

Weā€™ve had signs on the dumpster to not block the dumpster with cars, but often missed pickup because people kept blocking it anywayā€¦ thatā€™s why it is where it is now. (it used to be very conveniently located near the back steps where even a shorty like me could easily dump bags of trash in it from the top. I really miss the convenience of having it thereā€¦ :cry:)

The landlord would be quick to remind us to remove the garbage, Iā€™m sure. Not to mention there definitely are four legged critters in the area already - we donā€™t need to have them spreading our trash all over the placeā€¦ :scream:

Ya know, Iā€™ve written 3 replies to this passive aggressive nonsense and deleted them. So letā€™s just get this out in the open.

Last night, I was teaching a woodshop basics class to brand new members. 7 of them. And we went inside the shop and got started and when we got to the second step, to the jointer, I noticed that the dust collector wasnā€™t working. So, in troubleshooting, we figured out that the siren system was down, and it was completely overloadedā€¦ barrel full, cyclone full, filter full, backed up into the ducting.

So, we stopped class and cleaned the whole thing up. I knew the dumpster was full, so rather than carting the barrel out there and dumping it, we put all the chips into trashbags.

And this is where I failed your high expectations.

Rather than supervising them taking the bags outside, 3 students just did it. Mind you, up until that moment they didnā€™t even know where the dumpster was. But rather than showing them, I told them.

So, to the guys in my class last night who carried the stuff outside, you did exactly right, and you have my apologies. Please donā€™t let this other member sour you on the space. His snide insults aside, you guys stepped up and did exactly what we ask of you, and I (and the rest of @Team_Woodshop) appreciate it.

And Stan, if you want to insult them in person instead of making oblique personal attacks on the internet, please let me know. Iā€™ll happily provide them with your contact info.

And in the future, how about you take a half a step back and think before posting?

This:

Isnā€™t excellent. Itā€™s rude, itā€™s condescending, and itā€™s totally unnecessary. And itā€™s a terrible way to treat new members.

Many, many years ago I lived in apartments, and we had dumpsters just like the 8 yarder we have at the space. And we were told that if it was full, we were just to leave the bags next to the dumpster. The fact that our waste removal service wonā€™t do that isnā€™t documented anywhere that a brand new member would know to look.

And this kind of post is exactly why I tell my students, almost all of whom are brand new to the space, that they should view talk as an issue reporting system and not a place to hang out.

4 Likes

I apologize to the new members for my snide remarks, and I applaud them cleaning up the woodshop.

I do, however, have to take exception with them putting the trash DIRECTLY IN FRONT of a dumpster that is obviously picked up by a truck. Did they honestly think that the truck driver is going to get out of the truck, move the bags, and then empty the dumpster? Does that make any sense at all?

4 Likes

In keeping with the original topic of the thread and the fact that this seems to be a frequent problem. Where are we to pile trash bags full of trash while we wait for our trash service to catch up with our trash demands? I have taken it upon myself to spend a few minutes every visit to the space to look for trash that needs to be excellently moved from a full can as demanded by the OP. However, if we have no where to put it, what are we to do? :Leave it full and then result in another thread popping up demanding people to empty trash when it is full?

6 Likes

While youā€™re on the topic of rude and condescending, you forgot to call out the member who described whomever dumped the trash in front of the dumpster, ā€œlearning disabled.ā€

2 Likes

Youā€™re right. I missed that entirely.

Not cool dude. Not excellent, not good stewardship, and frankly, offensive to many people.

3 Likes

Do we need to split this thread to create a new thread on whatā€™s worse - being rude or being rude digging up people being rude? Iā€™d really rather not. Letā€™s please get back on topic now. Thanks!

3 Likes

There has been at least one instance where we missed at least two pick-ups in a row, and as you can imagine every trash receptacle was overflowing, etcā€¦ I remember at least once we ended up having to stack bags of trash on or near the dock (on the inside of the workshop - NOT outside). We have since then moved the dumpster in an effort to ensure it doesnā€™t get blocked, and we have increased pick-up days from 2x per week up to 3x per week which has helped a lot! However, we obviously still have occasional issues when things happen that cause us to miss pick-up on any given scheduled pick-up day. Since garbage is under @Team_Logistics domain, it would be nice to have an official procedure documented for members to know how to properly handle these scenarios ~ especially where we should temporarily store waste until there is room to put it in the dumpster.

5 Likes

Based on your views of how inferior the space is - I am surprised that you didnā€™t cover in great detail what to do with woodshop debris/trash / the bags in the event the dumpster was full.
The overloading and or blocking of the dumpster is not a new topic.

1 Like

Yeah, actually, Iā€™m sure they did. At almost EVERY apartment complex that has these types of bins, if its full, the trash bags are stacked up inside the enclosure in front of the bins so that they are easier to get to. If people put them behind or beside the bins, they would be less likely to be picked up at all because they are very difficult to access

Maybe we should expect more from the trash company that we are paying for instead of always lambasting our own members.

3 Likes