[REMINDER] Friday, MAY 11, 7PM - MONTHLY MEMBER MEETING

@Committee_Chairs are expected to attend per the Rules and give a report.
If you want to Win Friends and Influence People, type your report as a reply on this thread for our reading pleasure.
Then you can use your floor time to get input from your fellow chairs and the Board on the issue of your choice.
Or ask those pointed questions of the Board you’ve always wanted to ask.
And we know what you want to ask about. Hello, E.X.P.A.N.S.I.O.N.

This is the part where someone says something about putting items on the agenda. But we don’t reach quorum to vote on anything. The real value is in sharing info face-to-face and Kris does a good job of facilitating that.

I’m going to bring some hot food to share.
Anybody care to bring something?
It’s Friday night. You’re coming in from work. It’s dinner time. Apparently, meetings go better with food. Some people (ahem, @Scott_Blevins) resort to bespoke brisket. Must be nice.

10 Likes

This will be my first member meeting as a chair.

Are there any specific points I need to hit in my report, or is it just a general status report?

2 Likes

You are updating the membership and board, on what your committee has been up to and what you plan on doing.

Share some group projects you have been doing, plans to teach classes on new stuff, plans to upgrade tools, etc.

You can check previous membership/board meetings for examples of what previous committee reports look like on the wiki. I recommend finding a laser committee report

3 Likes

Excellent, I already have a lil something like that drafted up. Thanks for the info.

Tagging my @Team_Laser. Expansion news.

Bullet points for Digital Media

• Update Adobe licenses.
  • Install RFID locks with logs so that equipment can be checked out.
  • Create streaming procedure for recording board meetings
  • None of the equipment in DM is “required training” but we still need to hold classes to make the gear more accessible.
  • We need more batteries for the Sony RX10. I’d like to start teaching classes on photography basics and product photography.
  • Inventory has been done, and I need to update the wiki.

To balance access with security in the digital media room we need some sort of automated log for checking out equipment.

I found a padlock called “quicklock” and I think it might work with our existing RFID system. Would like to hear if anyone else knows of an easier solution.

3 Likes

I’m in a fried chicken mood so I’ll bring some Friday. Also chairs!! I’m making a bulletin board with your photo and your email on it so I will want your photo Friday. And the preferred email for your contact. If you have a preferred photo please send it to me in a pm. Many thanks!

3 Likes

I can’t decide which picture of me is the least embarrassing, but I’ll get you one by Friday. :smile:
I guess I should also change my Talk avatar to a picture of me instead of the good doctor.

2 Likes

Added it to the wiki: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Regular_Member_Meeting_20180511

2 Likes

I have to say that (not being familiar with Dr. Who), when I met you I was a little surprised that you didn’t look at all like your avatar.

Of course, neither do I …

5 Likes

hahaha, I was told that it’s possible to change your forum name after the fact, but you lose all of your posts.

I considered it, then I thought “If John Marlow didn’t bother to do it…”

3 Likes

Fired Arts Committee Report

Upcoming Events:

05/11-05/19 Accepting submissions for a Six Month Plan to cover operational and developmental efforts for the next term

05/13 Deadline for Alternate Clay Bodies: Mica, we will be doing a special cone 010 firing, @JasonM314 for details

5/19 Picking up a large slipcasting mold and tool donation, @Julie-Harris for details

05/20 Organizational meeting to create Six Month Plan

5/20 Deadline for Alternate Clay Bodies: Grolleg Porcelain, we will be doing a special cone 10 firing, @JasonM314 for details

05/23 Monthly Committee Meeting (+Six Month Plan voting, +Committee Clean-Up, +Pizza!)

Ongoing Activities:

Lampworking had a successful first experimental class and we are moving forward with a Lampworking Basics class that will qualify users to use the Committee tools. Classes include MAP gas and glass rods as part of the class fee. Members working on their personal projects will need to provide their own gas but there is some donated ‘scrap’ glass rod available. Time to make some groovy creations! @ladysandry

Slipcasting is rolling forward at Dallas Makerspace with our first (in a while) class producing some awesome pieces. We have a few new tools to make the mold making and casting process run a little smoother. This is a great way to dip your toes into the pottery world. Literally. You could mold your feet and have the best white elephant gift ready for the holidays. @toussaintpeg

Handbuilding and Throwing continue, formal and one on one. There are several people that can give you a helping, muddy hand! Let us know what you are looking for and we can put you together with a volunteer or direct you to an upcoming class. @cmcooper0 and @dryad2b

We will be discussing the separation of Glassworking as its own Committee from the current Fired Arts-Ceramics&Glass Committee during the monthly FA meeting on May 23rd and welcome anyone to join us! @meanbaby

1 Like

:+1: I submitted the class this morning. Noon on 5/21

1 Like

I’m always in a fried chicken mood.

2 Likes

Our meeting minutes will serve as this month’s report:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/may-2018-laser-committee-meeting-minutes/36092

4 Likes

Blacksmithing Committee Meeting 20180501
Blacksmithing Committee Meeting 5/1/2018

Contents
1 Time, Place
2 Chair Election
3 Minutes
4 IN ATTENDANCE
Time, Place
5/1/2018 19:00 Conference Room

Chair Election
Ethan Western ran unopposed and was elected unanimously

Minutes
Called to order 19:01

Ethan Western was nominated to run for chair by Brad Sims

Vote For election was proposed and seconded Ethan was Elected by the Quorum

Discussion Items:

Lack of funds to purchase cage for propane storage
Ethan Western will be auditing the Blacksmithing Committee QBO and seeing were missing class funds are located.
Discussed knife making classes and the creation of a Knife making SIG.
IN ATTENDANCE
Ethan Western
Brad Sims
Mike Churchhill
Chuck Graf
John Kuhlenschmidt
Cairenn Day
Jeremy

1 Like

Minutes are up:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Regular_Member_Meeting_20180511

5 Likes