REMINDER: Do NOT use the knob to adjust the Z height on the PolyPrinter 3D Printers

We continue to have a lot of issues with members adjusting the Z height.

Under normal circumstances, the Z height should not need to be adjusted.

Please remember: ONLY PolyPrinter staff and 3D Fab Chairperson(s) are allowed to adjust the Z height using the hardware knob as a result.

The aluminum beds have been damaged at least twice as a result.

See below for the latest damage where the path for the first layer is now engraved into the bed. :frowning:

NOTE: This is ONLY regarding adjusting the Z height via the knob (or via gcode commands in the console - which you should also NOT do on the PolyPrinter 3D printers…). It is still OK to use the up and down arrows in the Control Panel on OctoPrint to raise the Z a couple centimeters in order to extrude filament.

If the Z height seems to be wrong on the printer itself (hardware), please open a ticket and describe the issue in detail. Pictures can be attached to the ticket. The ticket system can be accessed through this link: https://dallasmakerspace.org/helpdesk

NOTE: You will use the same login information that you use for the billing system. If you haven’t logged into the billing system to create an Active Directory login, you can follow the instructions on the following thread: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/our-jump-server-is-up/4348?u=lisaselk

Thanks!
Lisa
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m a little surprised that the hotend engraved like that without tripping the Z-Alarm; was the bed circuit disconnected? Or was it able to engrave without cutting through the tape?

-the purring dork

I think the ground wire was disconnected for some reason. I’m not sure how it was able to cut that far into the tape to mark the aluminum. Luckily it didn’t ruin the flatness of that part of the bed.

Pardon my ignorance, but adjusting the Z height is using the manual up/down in Octoprint or some other setting?

Pretty sure they mean the actual physical adjustment knob on the printer itself.

1 Like

Exactly. They are currently asking that only polyprinter staff and the committee chair make adjustments to the Z axis knob.

this is ok. just be sure the unit isnt set to 100 as youll just send it through the roof and it cant do that

I get paranoid when it travels up/down for more than about 2 seconds continuously, so no worries about doing that.

me too. i wish we could remove the 100unit button from the octoprint UI

Thanks for all the input and helpful questions! I have edited the original post to reflect that this post is referring to adjusting the Z height via the knob (hardware). I also added that no-one - except PolyPrinter employees - should be modifying the Z height by sending gcode commands via the console (or any other settings that could affect the firmware, etc…).

To be clear:

• It is still OK to use the up and down arrows on the Control panel in
    the software (OctoPrint) in order to move the extruder up a couple of
    centimeters to extrude filament.
  • It is NOT ok to adjust the Z height using the knob on the actual printer.
  • It is NOT ok to make any adjustments to the Z height by sending gcode via the console panel.

Pearce, I will look into removing the 100 unit button from OctoPrint’s UI. Going forward, please open a ticket for any change requests, as it will help me remember, and help us track changes, etc… Thanks!

Thanks again to all y’all for your input and all!
:slight_smile:

ps: Matt… Yes… the wire was disconnected… Yet another reason no-one other than PolyPrinter and 3D Fab Chair(s) are allowed to perform maintenance, etc…

Thats just a darn shame right there.

Maybe for public maker space use, Polyprinter can just remove that knob :wink: make it a removable tool that turns an otherwise Really Hard to Access Screw.

We tried removing the knobs and someone still took the knob out of the cabinet and adjusted the Z.

Maybe we should put up a sign since I’ve received an error message while printing that specifically told me to adjust the knob.

Fortunately Mitch came in soon after and kept me from breaking anything.

1 Like

I will be placing new signs (stickers) on each of the printers, after we receive the new caps for the knobs from PolyPrinter.

That being said, the issue with members incorrectly adjusting the Z height has been an ongoing issue for some time. As a result, members teaching classes (and members approved to give one-on-one training) should be stressing the importance of NOT adjusting the Z height manually with the knob.

Regarding the error, that you referred to: If it recurs, please capture a screen shot (or copy/paste) the error to include with the ticket you’ll open on our ticket system: https://dallasmakerspace.org/helpdesk. Thanks!

2 Likes