Rats! Rats! Millions of them!

Not millions. But it sounded like it.

I have a detached garage connected to my house by a breezeway. This last winter I clearly had a family of rats living in the “attic” of my garage who also commuted to the main house attic through the breezeway. I assume. The access to the house attic could be closed to them. I have no way to know. I know EXACTLY where they enter and exit the breezeway roof.

No signs of rats in the accessible areas of the attic in the house. No urine or feces smell anywhere.

Will these rats move outside during the summer so I can whack their access to that breezeway? I don’t want to trap live rats in my attic. The attic is at least 130 degrees during the day, both garage and home.

God…I fought with my rats forever:

I am now a bit of a lay expert.

-1) They couldn’t care less about the heat, especially if it is a choice between safe, free hotel accommodations and being eaten by something else.

-2) Once they are in, especially in force, there is rarely a time they are not inside, although they go out every night.

-3) Best way to get a handle on their behavior and activity is with motion sensitive cameras. Here’s one of my guys tap dancing around all of the traps I’d set, not a care in the world:

-4) You have to block off ALL access, then trap, not poison them. You only know you have blocked off all access when you are actively trapping them and finally cameras stop detecting activity after several days.

-5) Once cameras are set, try an notice were they tend to come from/go to in evening and a.m. They will usually nest right near their ingress/egress points, but will scout all over the attic before they go out for the night and then when the come back.

-6) Rats are neophobic, so put traps out unset for several nights, maybe while you are getting camera placement tuned, and then add bait but not set for a few nights. Then, when you seal the holes, bait and set the traps. You will start trapping almost immediately…good idea to have gloves, masks, grocery store (aka body) bags, and new bait. I used peanut butter and attractant and some cheetos.

-7) Really good idea to replace ALL trim and siding where it touches the roof line with cement fiber (aka Hardie) board. In my case, I seal up holes, and in their desperation to get out they just moved down a few feet and chewed a new one out of the regular siding.

-8) I have some supplies (traps, attractant, I think), some wire mesh if you want/need.

-9) Once you’ve taken care of all entry points and confirmed no more activity in attic, i.e. they are no longer getting in, you can start poison baiting around the house exterior. I prefer the yellow kind (“just one bite”). Don’t buy in bulk…as it is an organic compound, it has relatively short shelf life.

-10) While you are using cameras to figure out their activity and movement patterns, you can usually figure out where on the outside they are getting up to and into your house. In my case it was along my fence rails (rat droppings were obvious once I knew where to look). That was where I put bait pieces so they would have to walk right over them. You’ll need to put out plenty 2 nights running once a month on an ongoing basis, I bet. But, in practice, put bait out each night until it stop disappearing, wait a month or two, repeat.

-11) But, again, this is a slog if the problem is as significant as you’ve described.

5 Likes

I’m dealing with the furry tailed version. Ie squirrel. Tried to chase it out once only for it to hide in the soffit. When I went to close the soffit out, it ran back in. Little bastard tore my sheet metal transition in the soffit off. Granted I didn’t put it up so when I do, it won’t be getting it off again.

1 Like

No! No! No! Do not use any poison for rats. If you are not there when the rat dies to pick it up and dispose of it properly, other predators are likely to eat them. They might also be eaten before the poison kills them. You will end up killing other predators like hawks, owls, and bobcats.

Plus, you might inadvertently kill a dog or cat who also either gets the rat or finds the poison bait. Someone in my local corgi group just had this exact thing happen to her corgi while on a walk. The dog found some bait the neighbor had set out and ate it before their owner could stop them. Thankfully, they lived after $1000’s of dollars of emergency vet bills. They were VERY lucky! Not every dog or cat makes it. :cry:

Do not use poison! I repeat…do not use poison! :skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

This was a great way to start the morning. Big laughs. When the three of ya’ll are getting bested by rats and squirrels, all is right in the world. Sounds like a making of a very popular series of classes. How to hunt rodents without the leaving the comfort of your home. Safari in the attic, why does the rat always seem to slip away?

Which rat breed do you hunt?

Big ones or little ones?

1 Like

Well…at least you didn’t say “Think of the Children!!”

Approaching this discussion from a less obviously emotional (i.e. a more logical) perspective: Using rat poison is fine when done responsibly; in fact I think there are regulations surrounding how/where to use it, incl that it is not allowed to just set the bait out but must use an enclosed whatever.

Homes are multi-$100K investments, and most homeowners spend thousands every year in their upkeep. I spent thousands finally fixing this rat issue, including Hardie board siding and trim replacement and painting, and replacing all of the attic insulation that had been ruined. Bait stations (I use/recommend these Dropbox - 2022-05-05 07.54.24.jpg - Simplify your life) and rat poison use is inexpensive, easy/non-messy, highly effective, and therefore ubiquitous and will continue to be; ranting and railing against them is tantamount to pissing in the wind or sky-screaming.

Other’s might not have, but I also went to the effort to knock on door of the weird couple + rando house-mate renting the house next-door to let them know I had bait stations set out and they may want to keep their weird cat from coming into my fully enclosed yard (where the bait stations are along inside of my fence) and also, stop using my garden as its litter box (the cat, not the rando house-mate).

“If you are not there when the rat dies” Rat’s do not drop dead instantly when eating this bait so one will never be there…one of its effects is that it creates significant thirst and drives them out to water sources like creeks and sewers…places where domesticated dogs and cats are not typically found. No one is trying to impact other wildlife, but other wildlife is just that…wild. And therefore subject to all sorts of survival threats, which I am sure they will figure out how to muddle through as they have for the last bazillion years. I bet you live in a home or apartment building that displaced and probably killed some wildlife while being built…oh, heavens to Murgatroyd…think of the poor wildlife you had a (secondary, arm’s length, easy/non-messy) hand in killing!!

It’s weird that your friend is discussing her dog’s medical bills and amounts with anyone, but if true it sounds like (s)he is either embellishing for more emotion/empathy’s sake, or is going to the wrong, i.e. way too expensive, veterinarian (although I totally get veterinary medicine is a sickening racket, at this point). But I wonder, though…I am guessing the “poison” you are talking third-hand about that your friend’s dog encountered wasn’t just sitting there on the sidewalk in reach of the length of the leash. Did you ask how the dog managed to get that close to the poison in the first place? If not, why not? Does your friend just let the dog do whatever it wants or eat whatever it wants? If so, why? Pet-owner are expected to have/keep their pets under control, and if not are responsible for the consequences, whether it is someone getting bit by their pet, their pet getting hit by a car if it runs into traffic, or it eating something that it shouldn’t e.g. some plants are both attractive and poisonous to some animals.

Anyway, to people with rat/rodent problems, don’t let the emotional finger-waggers in the world browbeat or bully you. Rat poison/bait stations are legal to buy and use (and for good reason), so do your research, weigh the costs & benefits for yourself (including secondary impacts on nature), make your own decision based on that, and if you decide to use bait/stations, do so legally and responsibly.

There…Mischief Managed! You are all welcome.

1 Like

“Honey, I think I hear something in the attic…”

3 Likes

There are a couple types of poison. One is an anticoagulant and makes them bleed to death internally. It’s pretty nasty stuff and can have downstream effects on animals that feed on a poisoned rat. If that included my next door neighbor’s near-feral cat, I’d be okay with that. It kills the rabbits that live in my yard.

Another natural poison interrupts the signaling in their digestive tract that tells them they’re thirsty. They die of dehydration without ever getting thirsty at all. This one is harmless to other animals.

1 Like

There are safe poisons you can use. RatX is a good example, because it is based on the rat biology and will not kill predators. You can also use the kind that seal up and have poison, so basically a live trap with a suicide option. Either way will protect predators/scavengers. Poison is still not the most humane way to kill a rat, a quick kill trap is best. Rats are also crafty, and they will learn pretty quick not to eat poisons. As someone else said, they are neophobic so many will only nibble a new food and not take a lethal dose. RatX doesn’t have this issue because it causes no painful symptoms until they eat a whole lot of it, then it prevents their thirst response so they don’t drink water and die of dehydration.

Yup that’s the stuff you want. RatX is a brand name for it, they also sell it in mouse form though not sure what the difference is. Harmless to larger animals which is great.

If anyone hasn’t come across this channel already.

1 Like

I recommend electrocution traps for the rats that we either cant or wont use a livetrap for over posion. I have too much wildlife with my pond and owls to ever be able to use chemicals.

Marshall i would very much like to borrow some of your gear, the pitter patter in my attic is growing…

“No, babies. Those are bad boys. Don’t talk to them.”

2 Likes

I tried an electrocution style trap. They just went around it.

I bought a super expensive live trap and put it in my garage (but not in the attic of the garage) and never got any activity on it despite huge piles of peanut butter, nuts, seeds, etc.

I did catch a couple with snap traps but after that their buddies got smart and I never caught another.

I haven’t heard any scurrying for a while. I’ll have to buy a WiFi camera and point it at the on-ramp to the breezeway roof.

My strong preference would be to avoid killing them and instead release them far, far away. Maybe near @dougemes house.

4 Likes

I don’t have any where I live (too crowded with peopl and grackles), but for some reason I assumed that owls were the natural control for rats? i.e. Folks shouldn’t have owls around and rats around?

Per comments above and my own reasers, my understanding is these just don’t work well, especially over time, including not quite killing the rat if too large. I suspect if we made some here at DMS they’d work just fine, even if maybe were also a bit of a fire hazard :wink:

You bet…I’ll PM you, although by virtue of my offering to Matt 1st, he has right of first refusal on some.

I’ll look into this.

I’d love a bit of wire mesh/hardware cloth if you can spare about a square foot of it. That’s all it will take to cover up their entrance.

Did you put peanut butter in the electrocution style trap? I’ve got 100’s of them this way… You just put a little at the end where they need to walk through the trap to get it. Maybe a little on the outside for them to taste to see if they like it.

Some rats don’t like peanut butter, so you may need to try several baits, but jiffy peanut butter has worked for me.

1 Like

i’ll second this, peanut butter coated with dry sunflower kernels

I have some 1/4 inch hardware clothe in my storage unit if you want it

1 Like

Shape it in a funnel… make it so they can get out but not back in. You also need to remove the way they are getting to the opening. Trim back tree branches 6’ away from the roof, etc…