PSA: Cold Snap This/Next Week

For non-weather watchers, be aware that there is a cold snap hitting North Texas over duration of next week or so, i.e. overall temps below freezing for the week and overnight temps down into the teens this coming Fr, Sa, Su, & Mo. So protect your outdoor spigots, plants, etc., and walk/drive carefully (yes…snow, maybe ice, in the forecast) when you go out.

7 Likes

Lol, which means I’ll likely be holed up. There is a reason I live in Texas. I hate the cold, I’m doing what I can not to work outside but I’m kinda loosing that battle.

2 Likes

Finally, it’s going to get mildly chilly in Texas…

1 Like

This is mildly chilly for Chicago. For non-panhandle-Texas this is cold. “Really cold” in Texas is like when my sister graduated from ETSU in Commerce (long may it wave) in December 1989 when it was like 4 degrees that morning and the motel coffee machine froze up.

1 Like

NOAA says it’s going to be a “fun” weekend… Frostbite temps and winds… Cover up outdoors and watch for ice on the roads.

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. North northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday

A slight chance of snow and sleet before noon. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 30. North wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night

Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Sunday

Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 25.

Sunday Night

A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17.

Washington’s Birthday

A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 27.

Lol!
Well, I am originally from the Chicago area so to me, texas is warm, hot and surface of the sun.

A couple years ago it got to -46° in Chicago and there were videos of BNSF guys dipping strips of burlap in kerosene and burning on the tracks.

That’s real cold, lol!

lol…me too. I delivered the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times (and 2 WSJs to the two village weirdos) at the crack of dawn to ~100 houses six days a week, rain or shine (or blizzard…one time my eyes/eyelashes actually froze shut) from 7th grade to my last day in town before I left for college after 12th grade!!

So this here is what I affectionately refer to as “sunbathing weather” :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Training weather to build up to the polar club, lol!

I took my drivers test in an '88 iroc camaro in 2ft of snow, right as a lake effect blizzard was starting, lol!

1 Like

Chicago winter. Where the rental cars have extension cords plugged into the wall to keep the engine from freezing over. I spent 6 months in Champaign, Il during the winter when I was in the USAF. Nothing like it in Texasm, but at least I didn’t have the lake effect like Chicago. Brr. For a native Texan this weekend will be cold my friend.

1 Like

I’ve had the (mis?) fortune of doing physical pentests of targets in the midwest, canada, and scandanavia during the winter. Doing Recon at night during those was always a nuisance.

but some funny things happened. One night we stole and armoured car and hid it in a snow bank since it was piled up several feet.

4 Likes

I spent a winter at Fort Riley, Kansas while in the Army. Our personnel unit was required to go to the field once every year even though my job was pretty much impossible to do in a tent. Our company commander thought that because we were part of an Infantry division (Big Red One, yo) we should do our field time (split between two weeks) in the dead of winter. We all almost died of CO poisoning because the tent heater stove pipe sooted up overnight. Upside was they let us go back to town after 4 nights in the minus-twenties since apparently it takes a few days to recover and freezing-hiney cold isn’t the best way to do it.

The guys who went out the week before my group got to see one of our NCOs bite the head off a live chicken during “winter survival class.” Or at least that’s the story they all decided on.

2 Likes

I take all this yankee posturing with a grain of salt.
I am Texas born/bred. (Albeit the daughter of a couple of yankees.)

Several years ago, I went to a big Photoshop conference in Boston. The coworker I was accompanying had a list of places she wanted to visit while we were there. We walked to the Boston Common. Me dressed in jeans, a jeans jacket, and wearing a wool sweater under the jacket, accessorized by gloves and a hat. It was snowing. Doormen at businesses we passed apologized for the weather. I was fine. Happy, even. I (heart) snow! The next day, we took the subway to the area near the Old North Church. The natives were wearing heavy overcoats, scarves wrapped around their necks and over their faces, hats, gloves, yadda-yadda. I was still in my wool sweater/jeans jacket/hat/gloves attire. In other words THEY were dressed like they were really cold. I decided that you yankees are just “posers” when you come to Texas and wear shorts and t-shirts when it’s 40 degrees, declaring that “this is beach weather!”

Fake news! Fake news!

4 Likes

Oh yeah…it’s totally talking through my hat. I am wearing some long johns (not the trapdoor kind!) right now, in fact. That said, I know I am more cold-tolerant than most and have no issue with being out in 40-ish temp weather in shirtsleeves (I don’t wear shorts anymore as a matter of courtesy for others). If I had a nickel for every time some shivering TX native looked at me and said “aren’t you cold!!”, I could retire. Whether it’s a matter of inherent genes or acquired immunity is open to debate.

But either way, it helps keep me ready to ride and spread the alarm through every Middlesex village and farm.

3 Likes

I have to wonder…do the people that say “yankee posturing” in a very derogatory fashion along with screaming fake news have ever lived in these areas?
New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, anywhere in Vermont or Maine…? If so, for how long? When?

It’s one thing to claim posturing from Yankees and fake news if you’ve only been there once or twice during a mild winter.
And by the way, Door men for hotels, Apartments, Etc are trained to apologize for the weather because of all of the southerners out of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, excetera that come up there for jobs, Etc… and those are usually the people you see hardcore bundled up talking about how cold it is, when it’s only 30 degrees out.
Not “natives”.

Look, I don’t want this to turn into something toxic, argument to thread but, until you can tell me about personal life experiences of having to walk to school and snow 3ft deep because your car couldn’t get out of the driveway, or better yet, having to go out a second-story window with a sled because of accumulation and Windrift, don’t try to sell 40° as being cold and its just “Yankee posturing” and “fake news”.

Just because you haven’t personally lived it doesn’t mean it’s not real.

Um. I’m a smartass. Marshall is a fellow smartass. I was messing with him.

Welcome to Texas.

Where I HATE the heat as much as you (evidently) to hate the cold in states further north.

1 Like

Fair enough.
I guess the term “yank or yankee” kinda sets me off a bit after some issues I’ve had here.

I do apologize if I came off a bit rough, lol

1 Like

But you admit, don’t you, that we are not really even in the same league…right?

2 Likes

Feels like the weather has been mild this “winter.” I still have a tomato plant in the raised bed and picked these tomatoes this morning while battening down the hatches on the vegetable garden.

But this cold snap is just ridiculous. The vegetable garden (lettuces) is going to take a beating.

1 Like

These kind of shenanigans seem very familiar :wink:

100 car pile up around fort worth yetserday. stay home y’all.

1 Like