Projects for those that are shy to jump in

Normally I love to just jump in and start using tools. It seems that my mom’s fear of saws is effecting me.

I really feel like I need some hand holding to get secure in using the tools. I did take the intro course.

Is is possible that someone could come up with some simple projects that would allow a small group to have some guidance.

Ideas, a wooden cutting or cheese board, children’s jigsaw puzzles (for the scroll saw), maybe a frame for a bulletin board, I am sure that the wood guys would have some better ideas of something that would let us have some hand holding.

Thanks

3 Likes

That would be awesome! I’m in the same boat as you. I just finished the basics class, but after years of my grandfather trying to protect me in his wood shop, I’m a bit shaky and hesitant with the tools.

Some ideas for good starter projects would help tremendously!

1 Like

My dad worried about me and the fact that I was the one that bandaged his thumb when he cut it to the bone on his saw, didn’t help. (of course I almost took the tip off a finger with my dremel with a metal saw blade on it

Bird houses and bat houses offer basic designs that allow you to use all of the basic tools, while producing items that encourage wildlife that can help control nasty disease carrying bugs.

They can be built with nothing more the inexpensive construction grade lumber (western red cedar), that you learn to joint, surface plane, saw, drill, and glue up.

If we have some way to verify that all participants have taken woodshop basics, I would be glad to organize a session for this.

3 Likes

I taught a one-board birdhouse class a while back just for this reason. Walter’s right it is pretty straightforward to learn how to use the radial arm saw, the table saw and the joiner/planer building a simple birdhouse.

The URL above show the class I taught. I’d be happy to teach it again if anyone is interested.

7 Likes

I am interested. I have too many projects that I need to use the woodshop for

I would be interested as well!

What day of the week works? I taught the last class on Wednesday night, but had only 1 student show up. The class takes about 3 hours. We didn’t put a finish on the bird house nor did we adorn it with anything. You can put everything from door knobs, to gears to almost any craft decoration on your bird house to make it unique. The birds could care less.

You could also add different shingles, various mounting mechanisms and other feature such as a porch etc if you have the time and the inclination. What I taught, however, was the simple construction and how to use some of the power tools in the woodshop.

We first joined the lumber, then planed it, cut it on the cross cut saw, drilled out the bird entry hole and the drainage hole, used the various sanders to smooth the ends and smooth the boards, too. The birds actually need a rough interior so you can scrape or scratch it with the chisels if desired.

I bought the lumber from home depot. I bought #1 lumber, but you could use #2 if you wanted. I think I still have three boards left.

If I can get three people interested I’ll teach the class. I’m sure @wandrson would be happy to teach one, too.

I originally intended to teach a series of one-board classes, but decided not to after only one student showed up for the first class.

You can make planters, a simple garden toolbox, various wind whirlygigs, a bottle storage cart and other items from a single board. I think Walters inkle loom was made from a single board and some dowels.

I can also teach a class on how to make a simple bowl on the scroll saw from a single board.

3 Likes

Since it is summer, most any night. I may take a clay class at Northlake on Thursday night. I would love the bowl class also.

I think I was sick the night you taught the other one. Fri should be totally clear all summer for me, same for Mon.

Could the garden tool box be adapted to either jewelry or pottery tools?

I would have signed up for this, but Wednesday is bad for me.

Weeknights are generally good for me during the summer as well!

Ok. Wednesdays are out. I think Thursdays are out because of the tours that go through the woodshop. We shouldn’t conflict with other woodshop classes either. Is Monday a good night? How does June the 6th or the 13th sound?

I would be good for Monday the 6th! I’ll be out of town the 13th and wouldn’t be able to attend.

Monday would be good for me

I’ve just scheduled a class for 6:30PM to 9:30PM on June 6th. Bring $10 to class. I’ll buy the wood and bring it to class. I’ve used Eventbrite previously but they take forever to pay and take a healthy cut, too. Please email me at [email protected] or post here if you plan to attend.

1 Like

Count me in. in in in

Unfortunately for me (don’t reschedule on my account) I’m teaching the Vinyl Cutter class that night.

I will be there! Thank you!!

Not to put a damper on things but all members must take the woodshop basics class before using the power tools In the woodshop. The class is offered every Wednesday and Saturday.

1 Like

@AlexRhodes is there anyway for a prospective instructor to verify that someone has taken the class?