Possible cheap walnut buy

Just what is referenced above is pushing 3000 lbs (obv. depending on moisture content) and that’s not including his personal stash or any extra

2 Likes

quick’ndirty:
10ftx12in/ft=120in
7in avg width
2in nominal height
120x7x2=1680in^3 per stick
80 sticks minimum
1680x80=134,400in^3
https://www.bellforestproducts.com/info/popups/average-dry-weight/
weight of dry walnut: 37 lbs/ft^3 (lightest I saw in a cursory search)
134,400/1728=77.8 ft^3
77.8x37=2878.6lbs

9’ cargo van from U-haul payload = 3880lbs
but is not rated for towing

10’ box truck from U-haul payload = 2850lbs
but can tow 6000lbs

15’ box truck from U-haul payload = 6385lbs
rated to tow up to 10,000lbs

6x12 Cargo trailer from U-haul payload = 2480lbs

This should be a fun math problem rewarded by driving back from who-knows-where with an appropriately (we hope) loaded vehicle/combo!

5 Likes

Bwahahahhaahhaahaha, as if anyone renting a uhaul has ever cared about the useful payload of a box truck or cargo trailer. I knew of knuckleheads that would load 4x8 sheets of steel in them. Not the brightest members of society, but at least they restrained them in the back so if they got in a wreck, the steel sheets wouldn’t slice them in half.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers: Hoping Ian exceeds this measure, and might use those specs as a sort of “guidepost” in his planning (technically, I’m hoping he’s already done all this “research”, and my paltry post will be farting in a tornado to his plan, but mildly entertaining to us vicarious)… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’m renting a penske because the Load limit is 4600lbs :slight_smile:

We will be just at the limit of that however as I’m thinking I will purchase 1400bdft.

4 Likes

If you’re worried about it check out the Enterprise truck rental down the road from the makerspace. Not sure how the pricing compares but they have some pretty heavy duty trucks. We’ve rented a 3/4 ton to tow the race car before and 850lb-ft of torque was pretty fun for that long highway tow.

1 Like

1400 board feet of 8/4 old growth Missouri walnut in route back to Texas. I think the ratchet straps are more for looks than anything…

See everyone tomorrow.

11 Likes

If anyone backs out, let me know, I’d be interested in a couple sticks.

1 Like

I bought ~500 extra board feet that I’ll sell for $7-9/bf If you want to stop by tomorrow you can look through the pile and pick what you want with everyone else. I bought about 300 of it in 12ft sections if you want something longer.

3 Likes

What time will you be at the space tomorrow?

What time tomorrow?

2-6pm tomorrow.

3 Likes

So it’s 1st come, 1st serve for picking boards? :thinking: Guess I’m going to have to actually wake up at a normal hour so I can get there as soon as you do! :sleeping: :yawning_face: :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this for us.

5 Likes

Your wood looks awesome :flushed:

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for making a wood run for all of us!!

2 Likes

Thanks to all of you for making it possible to buy wood together for cheap! I had a blast!

I’ve got 300-400 board feet extra in 10 and 12 footers that I will sell at $7-9 / bf until I run out! Let me know if anyone needs some cheap walnut! (This works out to $80-$100 / board depending on the $/bf and width)

A particular thank you to @dougbcave for offering to ride along @mblatz for talking to keeping me awake and @alyssalee for supporting this craziness and letting me disappear for a weekend.

I’ve asked the people to let me know when they have other wood in stock and If we have the interest in the future I will repeat this!

9 Likes

Ian, thanks again for doing this. I think that I have enough walnut to last me a while. Thanks again.

1 Like

This stuff is GORGEOUS! THANKS!

3 Likes

Huge thanks to @IanLee for organizing and driving and giving us all a great deal! Can’t wait to see what your connection finds next!

2 Likes