Pinewood Derby Rules and Information: September 17th

I assume it will be a standard track, where could I find the dimensions of things? Specifically I’m wondering about how the start is triggered and what exactly happens after the car passes the timer, what stops it?

As a curiosity, does the entrant have to be a DMS member? (or in the case of a team, include a DMS member?)

Great question (we talked about this but we didn’t put it on the rules)

This contest is open to anyone who wants to participate. I think it will be a good draw for people for open house to come in and participate and tour!

@pinewoodnut

I would take a look at the specifics on his website www.pinewoodnut.com. It’s a fancy aluminum track. I’m sure David will share the specifics as well. I’m excited about this.

1 Like

One small note (and I’m sorry for blowing up talk) I don’t have the kits yet. I ordered them just yesterday. I will put a note up on talk.

We will get flyers out to get non-talk people interested ASAP as well.

Thanks the pictures on that site explained it, more specs here

Can we have an entry in each class? Can an entry be in more than than one class?

Team builds? Maybe even Committee build for bragging rights (CA should OWN the last category)

1 Like

@Brandon_Green
I was just getting around to sending you an answer with those same links, but you beat me to it. The pictures you added are perfect.

I don’t see any issues with multiple entries. Enter cars into different divisions, or several cars in the same division.

Team builds?..

team cars are allowed

Does the vehicle have to cross the finish line in one piece? Thinking of two halves that split apart using allowed forces to get the front of the vehicle to cross the finish line faster

Does the vehicle have to stay in contact with the track the whole time?

For those that have no clue what a pinewood derby car is or how to start making one? Here is a short video giving some general info on how to start.

That’s a fantastic question that I’m unsure of @pinewoodnut could you please advise about a splitting car.

@Brandon_Green,
Push the rules as far as you would like. The kits are cheap and worst case you end up in the art class. No need to rule lawyer everything, The tightest judged class will be the Standard class, the outlaw class will have more wiggle room, and the art class will just be fun. There are no expensive prizes up for grabs and as long as you don’t break the absolute rules, don’t harm the track, or spectators we will try to get you in a heat.

Agreed!

Keep with the absolute rules and you will run.

1 Like

I’m currently trying to create a very very simple free wix website so we can send out information to interested parties easily. Give me a bit and it should be running. It’s super simple.

@pinewoodnut What is the fastest you have ever seen or heard of something crossing the finish line?

I’ve seen propelled races break 18 seconds, Gravity raced are usually in the 30 second range.

I JUST got the kits delivered to my door and little-A and I are putting them together to bring to DMS tonight. They are a strongly suggested $5 donation to CA for the wedge or block kits and $3 for the wheels and axels.
You need not use a kit but I felt having them here would increase/ease participation.

Each (car) kit includes:
4 wheels, 5 axels, wood block, basic instructions from the manufacture, a printout from Dms with all our rules.

3 Likes