Pinewood Derby Rules and Information: September 17th

General Information:
September 17th at Dallas Makerspace (address)
Check-in time 11a-1:00p Sept 17th to the interactive room
Races will be later that day
Wedge & block kits available at DMS for a $5 cash donation to CA
Axel & wheel kit available at DMS for a $3 cash donation to CA
No race/entry fee
Open to all age groups, but competitions will be by class, not age
Team cars are allowed
To be eligible, cars MUST be turned in during check in
You don’t need to use the axle slots
Extended wheelbase cars are allowed

Absolute Rules No Exceptions:
Nothing over 10lbs
Nothing that catches, causes, or creates fire
No Co2 usage in any form
Nothing that can hurt the track
Nothing that can hurt the timer
Nothing can be left on the track (such as grease or other substances)
Cars must be checked in by a DMS pinewood derby race official/volunteer
Participants subject to approval & final discretion of David Summers* Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee members/volunteers can touch it.
If a car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer can make repairs within a reasonable time frame as designated by David Summers

“The Standard” Competition
Boy Scout Rules, but enhanced with your adult maker mind
Overall length of car shall not exceed 7 inches
Overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches
Car must have 1 3/4” clearance between the wheels.
Car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track
The car shall not exceed 5 ounces – based on committee scale
The block may be shaped in any way that is desired.
Wheels must be used. The wheels may not be cut, beveled or rounded.
You may remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels.
No needle axels.
No bearings.
The axles may be polished, and lubricated.

“The Outlaw-The Maker-The Breaker” Competition
A competition for the rogue maker in all of us
This category is anything that falls outside of the “standard” category
Cars can be made from any media
Motors are ok
Fans are ok
Note absolute rules
3 ¼” width limit
5” height limit
8” length limit
Again final discretion is left to David Summers*

“The Michelangelo of Mechination” Competition
Objects of aesthetic delight not necessarily created for function
Must have at least four wheels
Doesn’t need to be in the shape of a car
Displayed and possibly run if it can
Same width, height, and length limit as the

*David Summers is the owner of the professional track, operator of pinwoodnuts.com, and DMS member

Awards
1st place in every category
Best costume to match car
Most makery (best use of DMS resources)
Spent the most, won the least
If you’re not first, you’re last

“Rule” maker-uppers (with lots of help from the internet)
David Summers: @pinewoodnut
Nick Sanz: @Nick
Nicole Franczvai: @uglyknees
Mark Reynolds: @mreynolds
on July 27th
and Amelia Young made sure my engrash was understandable

7 Likes

I assume it will be a standard track, where could I find the dimensions of things? Specifically I’m wondering about how the start is triggered and what exactly happens after the car passes the timer, what stops it?

As a curiosity, does the entrant have to be a DMS member? (or in the case of a team, include a DMS member?)

Great question (we talked about this but we didn’t put it on the rules)

This contest is open to anyone who wants to participate. I think it will be a good draw for people for open house to come in and participate and tour!

@pinewoodnut

I would take a look at the specifics on his website www.pinewoodnut.com. It’s a fancy aluminum track. I’m sure David will share the specifics as well. I’m excited about this.

1 Like

One small note (and I’m sorry for blowing up talk) I don’t have the kits yet. I ordered them just yesterday. I will put a note up on talk.

We will get flyers out to get non-talk people interested ASAP as well.

Thanks the pictures on that site explained it, more specs here

Can we have an entry in each class? Can an entry be in more than than one class?

Team builds? Maybe even Committee build for bragging rights (CA should OWN the last category)

1 Like

@Brandon_Green
I was just getting around to sending you an answer with those same links, but you beat me to it. The pictures you added are perfect.

I don’t see any issues with multiple entries. Enter cars into different divisions, or several cars in the same division.

Team builds?..

team cars are allowed

Does the vehicle have to cross the finish line in one piece? Thinking of two halves that split apart using allowed forces to get the front of the vehicle to cross the finish line faster

Does the vehicle have to stay in contact with the track the whole time?

For those that have no clue what a pinewood derby car is or how to start making one? Here is a short video giving some general info on how to start.

That’s a fantastic question that I’m unsure of @pinewoodnut could you please advise about a splitting car.

@Brandon_Green,
Push the rules as far as you would like. The kits are cheap and worst case you end up in the art class. No need to rule lawyer everything, The tightest judged class will be the Standard class, the outlaw class will have more wiggle room, and the art class will just be fun. There are no expensive prizes up for grabs and as long as you don’t break the absolute rules, don’t harm the track, or spectators we will try to get you in a heat.

Agreed!

Keep with the absolute rules and you will run.

1 Like

I’m currently trying to create a very very simple free wix website so we can send out information to interested parties easily. Give me a bit and it should be running. It’s super simple.

@pinewoodnut What is the fastest you have ever seen or heard of something crossing the finish line?

I’ve seen propelled races break 18 seconds, Gravity raced are usually in the 30 second range.