Pinewood Derby Rules and Information: September 17th

I JUST got the kits delivered to my door and little-A and I are putting them together to bring to DMS tonight. They are a strongly suggested $5 donation to CA for the wedge or block kits and $3 for the wheels and axels.
You need not use a kit but I felt having them here would increase/ease participation.

Each (car) kit includes:
4 wheels, 5 axels, wood block, basic instructions from the manufacture, a printout from Dms with all our rules.

3 Likes

And the wheel kits are just four wheels and five axels.
All the wheels and axels are the same.

Put me down for one - will put money in box next time there.

1 Like

Which one? Wedge or block?

Block. …

1 Like

Reserve a block for me, ok?

For the people who are interested here is the contact of the company I ordered the kits from. Kits are in the creative arts room. They aren’t cute and when I go up next I will package them better.

They are located on the top of the general supply cabinet in two cardboard boxes. Please add cash or check to the white collection box next to the door.

Kits are now in CA in a few marked boxes. As you walk into the CA room look straight ahead and you will see the kits. I need a box for the axels and wheels - Ill clean that all up on Wednesday.

With all due respect to the people who are putting in the work to organize this, I have to state that I’m frankly very disappointed with the rules forbidding the use of fire or CO2, which immediately eliminates the use of hobby rocket motors or co2 power pellets.

These kind of ideas were what sparked this entire discussion to begin with, and to have them PCd out of all classes is just wrong, IMO. Sure, have the safe classes, but frankly a touch of insanity is kind of the reason many of us enjoy coming to the space on a regular basis, and there should be a #&$+! the rules class where there are no restrictions, period.

IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

2 Likes

Someone needs to build a mag lev car. Preferably in the shape of the Delorian in BTTF2

1 Like

I guess if we build amd pay for our own track, do it somewhere that have the potential burning down or blowing the facilities (people can take their chances) then say we do it.

Unlimted Mayhem Derby. But alas, we have rules imposed. I’m looking into the nitrosoxide cartridges used for whipped cream … Pretty much same small form factor but not CO2! Liquid Nitrogen with flash heating element could be interesting no fire no residue.

Was thinking Methos and soda water … But then that’s CO2 again and a mess. You chem types, we need a nonoxidizing rapid liquid to gas so no flame. Was thinking concentrated hydrogen peroxide but back the fire issue.

Clearly the solution is hydrazine. :smiley:

1 Like

Whippets, now where did I put those whippets? I swear they are for cooking!

1 Like

I’m surprised someone at makerspaces has issue with something smirk
David owns a professional track they are letting us use for free for the day. We talked about usage and potential issues with this crowd and imposed the rules and I completely understand why- I hope you do too.

Options for disapointed people:

1. Decide if you want to think around what you see as a brick wall or just not compete.
  2. Rise above the oppression and show us innovative thinking within set and universal limitations for all who choose to get involved.
  3. Organize (and gain approval for) an alternative -an “1913 Armory Show Pinewood Derby” if you will.

Please don’t see this as a personal attack. We knew this would happen. Think around the challenges you see.

2 Likes

Why can’t that someone be you?

1 Like

I was thinking of using compressed air, I have a 4500 psi air compressor for airsoft/paintball/scuba I should be able to still use that. Not as much volume as a liquid to gas co2 conversion but still lots of pressure and power to be used there

I assumed the no CO2 rule was meant to convey no use of any compressed gases, as trying to create very light pressure vessels = high chance of explosion resulting in injury.

2 Likes

I’m a barbarian not an artist.

you can be both I suppose: http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/arms-and-armor

The kits are cheap, there is no major prize, this is meant to be a fun thing. JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT. We are going to try and make this as fun as we can, while also keeping the event safe / not damaging equipment.

HAVE FUN!

Worst case scenario, you don’t run your car on the track. But, you could group up with your other buddies and race your cars outside?