Phrozen Mega Sonic 8K first Test Result

So we’re chugging along with the Phrozen Sonic getting closer to figuring out classes and stuff so we can open up use of it to the public.

Step 1 was a test to make sure there were no dead spots in the build plate, so I printed a model of mine that had a bunch of pieces and spread them across the plate. It seemed to have worked pretty well, and I wanted to share the results. The model is in the 3d fab display case if anyone wants a closer look. Be careful, though, it’s probably a little fragile.

10 Likes

Awesome! How long did it take to print?

I wasn’t the one who took it off the bed but its original estimate was 23 hours. It may be nowhere near that number though.

Wow. I figured it would be a long time but I was hoping that since you did it at DMS it didn’t take as long as I expected. Thanks for the data point.

We got all 9 pieces onto the bed at once, but I’m not sure if there’s a setting we can tweak. I think the lift and reset is slow, but it may need to be because of the way that the bed works and how unreasonably big it is.

Any updates on classes being offered? Do we have a wash & cure station big enough for the large prints that can fit on the build plate? I have the Mini 8k, but sometimes you need a bigger build plate. I’d like to get signed off on the Mega if possible. I don’t mind being a class guinea pig. :nerd_face:

And yes…I know it’s VERY different from a Mini. I had actually bought the Elegoo Jupiter, but had to sell it, so I understand the differences in pull force and all that fun stuff.

Hey,

We’re still running it through its stress testing phases and trying to work out how to deal with things like washing and curing very large prints. So far we’ve run into a few issues that haven’t been corrected yet either, so I’m working out the most effective way to deal with that.

Once we have it all worked out I’ll probably start offering classes on it, but that’ll be another few weeks probably. We’ve still got to figure out the wash and cure options before anything else.

Chris

1 Like