Do I need to reserve the BIIIIIIIG resin printer?

I am in the process of designing a model that needs printing. It should not tie up the printer for long, as it’s going to be pretty wide, but only a few mm tall. I know the printer has been working on the mech dragon for a while, but I would appreciate it if I could hijack it for a few hours sometime in the next week.

Also maybe anything I should watch out for with the new printer.

DMS is a First Come, First Served organization. Only classes can reserve equipment using the Calendar system.

3D printing is the only equipment I’m aware of you are allowed to be away from while running - but you must be in the building. At one time each printer had a camera that allowed you to watch it from within DMS.

2 Likes

@cvrana … Is Phrozen in service yet for general use? Your earlier post suggests training is not yet available, nor are all the technical problems resolved.

@photomancer is correct, and I have two more thoughts for you.

1. Curling. Suggest you consider how to prevent your part from “potato chipping” during curing. Large, thin resin parts tend to curl up. If your design can tolerate it, I suggest you put ribs onto it to reduce the curling. I have used a combination of ribs and flat “weights” (like a small piece of 1/4" metal), but if you use “weights” you may be blocking the UV curing. Also, you may have difficulty getting it off the platform.

2. Volunteer. It takes an enormous amount of effort to put together training. You might volunteer to develop the training material. I’m sure the extra help would be appreciated and it would get the machine in service sooner. (I speak from personal experience on the Elegoo printers here.)

2 Likes

@engpin and some characters

1 Like

Hmmm. Ribs. So instead of having a large, thick base, I put something like this on the base? That would reduce the amount of material being cured

Also I have not done any formal training, but I often make an effort to instruct people when I am able to help out. I would be interested in perhaps putting together training documentation. Make things easier when someone is looking for help RIGHT NOW.

2 Likes

Yes (to your ribs question). Info below is casting-specific but equally relevant to printing/curing thin parts.

Ribs:
• 80% of the adjoining thickness
• rounded at the edge
• ribs deeper than they are thick
• space between ribs should prevent any localized accumulation of metal
• Should not meet at acute angles
• Design cross-coupled ribs in a staggered double “T” form

Source: Maximize Design of Ribs and Brackets