Peggie Talks based on Detroit Soup {updated with potential grant}

Personal challenge explain your idea in two minutes:
It would help my time if you googled Detroit Soup (http://detroitsoup.com)

Five DMS members are selected from a pool of applicants to present an “idea/concept/project” at a catered dinner hosted by DMS. Someone can only come to this dinner by purchasing a ticket before the event (approx cost $10-15). This will be the first During the dinner 5 makers are given 6 minutes and 40 seconds and 20 slides (google PechaKucha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PechaKucha) to present the idea to the audience. Hard time limits, hard adherence to the rules - if you break it you’re out. Period.

After people present they can walk around and answer questions to audience. At a very specific (and publicly known) time each audience member will leave a “vote” (your fork from the meal) in one of 5 boxes. Each box has the members name, picture from the slide, and the makers face on it.

Votes/forks are counted. The person with the most forks/votes will receive 100% of the money from the meal (minus cost).

Ok that should have taken you about two minutes to read.

Specifics:

• Catered because I think it would be the easiest way to do this. We have a member who has a catering business (BBQ). I have’t put much effort into looking into different catering options but here are some easy options, it would need to be a lower cost meal because you would want $5 minimum per person (at least $200) to go to the winner.
    http://www.olivegarden.com/menu-listing/catering ($10ish a person at cost)
    http://www.jasonsdeli.com/catering-menu (they have a community page for non-profits where we could get $5(ish) sandwiches)

• Applicants would apply and a small committee of would select the people who would present. It would be blind (one person takes off names and given out to committee members and given a rubric - It might even be people not related to the space to remain fair)

• Ya I don’t know about the legal aspects - because I know that’s going to be the thing that blows this up. Possibly someone might need to front the catering costs and be refunded with the ticket sales if it’s a big issue. I would hate to take money at the door - because we don’t know if this thing would work. Possibly this is run via eventbrite where (say 25 tickets need to be purchased to make this event happen or the funds are returned).

• I’m not adhering to the Detroit Rules. I think public Q&A might get very lengthly and be unfair to the other participants.

• At the next dinner the winner from the last dinner come to present the outcome/impact of the dinner money infusion.

• What about baiting the audience - did they buy a ticket, they have a vote.

• What if someone doesn’t finish - they never get to apply again

4 Likes

I’m in - just for the dinner at least.
Seriously - pretty nice ‘out of the box’ thinking. would there be a restriction on what the project is? (commercial, for DMS, personal ??) How many times a year would this occur?
cheers!

So I heard about this idea at an art conference (it was the people who pulled together the Detroit Soup idea) and they said they had so many applicants that they were able to sort by theme:

• arts
  • community
  • I don’t recall the other things
    and everyone picked revolved around a central theme for the night.

My personal belief would be it could be for anything - but not a commercial project - but in that I’m also flip flopping because ideas get judged as they go down the pipe first with people actually completing the application and turning it in, second is the first round of judging to see who gets picked and finally the crowd is the final say so - so the editing and wishes come down to that.

It would occur however many times we could manage. I would think 2X a year to start - if we can get the word out and applicants are plentiful we change it up.

1 Like

This could be great in so many ways. First you have the social aspect of the dinner, then you have the experience of standing in front of a group of people to pitch your ideas which in itself is invaluable, especially for those who are nervous public speakers. And then you also have the advantage of possibly crowd funding your project.

I’ll be happy to sit, eat and listen to ideas!

1 Like

It sounds like a great idea! It would be a fun evening! Would this be open to only DMS members?

1 Like

Do they really have 175 people attending each Detroit soup? Or do the funds they mention come from more than just dinner ticket price?

6.66 minutes is too long

1 Like

You know other than a simple pitch, there could be a debate format. Where you have countering opinions that challenge your ideas that will need to be defended. Kind of the sitting duck scenario. The person pitching would need to have strong convictions that can be tested out by fire of a debate. Thus, convincing an audience of its validity. Effective skills needed if ever someone was to get in front of any venture capitalists or angel investors, etc.

So from the talk I went to they really do have a good strong backing of people. Now, mind you $5 is the suggested amount AND if you scroll down you will see the investors they have cornered.
I had dinner with Chandra last night and we talked about this idea and how we could make it happen. Stay tuned, I want to see this happen.

I could see the debate format turning off lots of people in wanting to present the concept but, I see the need for open critical evaluation. The Detroit soup fields I think 4 questions for each participant after the presentation. I’m open to seeing how this can be done with a concern towards the time constraints, done in a way that is fair to all, and not emotionally charged.

One idea that occurred to me last night is to give each of the presenters a specific amount of wall/display space to use as they please to help convey the concept.

I hear where you are coming from and the debate format perhaps could be a second stage approach?

I think it does require a certain level of emotional marturity to take that on and perhaps some would not be ready, but for those willing to do it, especially if they really are looking for venture capital, etc. it would be quite valuable. Kind of a “Shark Tank” approach.

Perhaps that would be a different animal that would/could be separate from what you are proposing.

I participated in debate in high school and college and it definitely requires a thick skin and deep convictions to be the “sitting duck”. I can tell you this, it can tremendously increase you leadership abilities if you can learn through the experience and not take criticisms personally. It’s also alot of fun too!! It also helps to overcome biases that can lead to tremendous creativity and growth.

I always thought sport activity help build my resolve and ability to adapt and leadership skills, but as I got older, I’ve realized this debating has really shaped my skills more than anything else.

when you see how nervous people get during interviews its easy to imagine this being too much for them. Personally, I never got nervous at interviews and always wanted to do a panel interview. Got the chance a few years back where it was me and 6 engineers. It was a blast. got the job too. Leading meetings, public speaking, teaching, and demonstrating helps too.

1 Like

I like the idea of a second stage. I think it is valuable I’m just not sure how it could be done without overtaking the intent of the presentation. Also, time might be an issue. But it’s a good thing to consider and I agree learning how to debate and hold your own is invaluable.

So, just for giggles I’ve asked The Plaza Arts Center for a quote. I like it because of the stage, its location, it’s vibe and because it’s also a non-profit – Ill let you know what the quote is. Anyone know of any adequate and even strange event spaces we could use?
For the first one I could see it held at makerspace but I would like to plan one step ahead with a larger area that could easily hold the amount of people something like this would hopefully attract.

1 Like

Yes, I would limit this to only DMS members to apply - now anyone can come and support of course.

You really think 6 to talk about something is long? Especially when you’re trying to “sell it” to someone else. I know you’re a man who isn’t afraid to edit but I would think the latest widget on your mind would be something you could passionately talk about for a bit. But no rules on not filling the time - just going over would be cut off.

1 Like

I agree, I think this is more for the entrepreneurs amongst us instead of the hobbyists. An entrepreneur needs these skills to succeed unless they are self funded. I’m thinking about an inter-disciplinary Entrepreneur Committee could be created in order to pursue the actual funding of projects created by members. A place for copyrighting and patent info as well as funding, etc…Then holding debates and “DMS Tank” could be developed? Maybe, I’ll check interest come the new year.

As far as venues for the event you are wanting to do, I think it would be great to find a cool place for it. I’ll keep my radar on, you never know what will pop up now that I thinking about it.

All good, I’ll come for sure. It could be big. I could see it as an opportunity ti raise money for each committee to get as many representatives there to show support. Like a $5.00 donation to the committee of choice.

Sounds like you’re going to start a committee! (ps DMS has some hoops to jump into read up). I think LOTS of people would be interested in a group of like-minded driven people.

I have high hopes for this event. I also think it would serve as a kick in the pants to many and a smaller fishbowl to people with loftier goals. It’s not as intimidating as kickstarter but not without hoops to be accepted. I also think it would just be fun, and stressful, but fun to organize. I printed a binder today - get ready. This could allow for lots of cultural shifting in thinking (if someone is motivated to apply) at the space. Plus people who come would have some buy-in to the idea of dms and that person. Will be really cool. WILL not would be.

plus food. everyone loves eating. everyone.

1 Like

Nothing like sitting inside the crucible to burn off the BS!!! Lol. I actually prefer this over being coddled. A challenge makes you feel alive. I’ll bet that was one of your best interviews ever!! I have been in many interviews where I am the interviewer. I always conduct them in a debate format. If they wilt or can’t defend their abilities, how are they going to solve problems when the poop hits the fan which it always does? You don’t grow until someone thinks you are full of sh*t and you prove them wrong or they do you a big favor and teach you something. It does require maturity and an atmosphere of respect, but it can be quite rewarding if done right. I agree leading meetings, public speaking, teaching and demo’ing are valuable as well. Those are usually canned presentations that most feel like they are being talk at, not a real conversation. But they have there place.

Nothing beats debating your ideas though. Its like the difference between watching someone shoot a machine gun and then actually you shooting the machine gun! (or some describe it as trying to dodge the bullets…Lol)

Though Brandon may confirm that his comment:

was to be taken literally as well, I giggled my butt off at the “sign number of the centibeast” joke I presume to be intended.

Got a response from from the Plaza Arts Center:

Of course it’s something that has lots of variables but Friday would be $850
Saturday would be $1,400

Includes: Venue (duh) dressing rooms, balcony, kitchen, table and chairs, theatrical lighting system, projector screen, microphones, and marquee to advertise.

This would be for a 5-10p rental
$100 if we would want them to setup chairs and tables

$300 security deposit. All money due 2 months before date.

FYI as far as what “they” require for an application they have people answer the following:

Applicant Name:
Applicant Email:
Applicant Phone:
Project Name:

Project Summary:

Why does this project matter [to the Detroit community]?

How will you use SOUP grant funding towards the realization of your project
What is the timeframe for your project, and how could you share about its progress/completion?