Peggie Talks based on Detroit Soup {updated with potential grant}

FYI I can’t let a good idea die

@Adam_Oas and I submitted a grant proposal for $1K to nation of makers today in hopes to gain some financial support to get this project/event launched. I also added a very quickly written note on the BOD for financial and symbolic support for this event because DMS would be a CO-sponsor along with Nation of Makers (plus any corporate buy-in we could muster)

We will find out June 17th-ish if we won the grant.
I’ll keep you guys posted. Think positive thoughts!

Start thinking of ideas you would like to have some financial backing for (might not be much but it’s not exactly about the money). In basic - you will apply to speak at the dinner. The applications will be screened by non-members (I’m thinking teachers) for validity and interest (we will have a rubric along with the application). You will have a specific amount of time to speak to the audience. Audience members come in and purchase a simple dinner. Audience members have one vote each. At the end of the night the winner takes the proceeds (after costs) to complete the project. “We” audience members have no buy-in to the idea. We are not owed anything from this support. The winner is called back in at subsequent events for an update on progress.

This is a wonderful event.
We are hoping to host it at Plaza Arts Center in Carrollton http://www.plazaartscenter.com ($850 rental includes AV, tables, table setup, linens, front of house and all mic on a Friday night)
If anyone knows of a more accessible venue please let us know.
We will soon be working to find acceptable catering (something like chili, soup, salad, something like that possibly a sandwich from jimmy johns if they will honor the $5 deal for this - simple foods that we can serve quickly and simply)

Bummed - Just heard back from Nation of Makers and both @AlexRhodes and I’s (proper english?) grants were not accepted. The money was one thing but it was the approving thumbs up I was really looking for from a national organization. It’s not enough of a bump in the road to stop this train.
@Adam_Oas and I are discussing how we can still continue with this event without the co-hosting “funds”. We will have more information once we make it all up on the fly and write down some thoughts on a dinner napkin.

1 Like