Pearson vue Exams

How often do you expect to hold these exam sessions?

1 Like

Under the current schedule of classes to be released we’re looking on an upward of 14 exams a quarter max, but averaging about 3 a month.

2 Likes

That’s almost once a week and would tie up a classroom for a substantial amount of time including the set-up of the computer stations, time before the exam, the exam, and time to take down. Would assume Lecture Hall would be the classroom desired. It appears they require the testing site to provide all computers, how per exam takers per session?

What group sponsors and charges for the exam?

What other requirements do they have? How many computers would be required to have configured for the exam? Where would they come from? Will DMS be expected to “Be quiet” during their exam? Asking this because I would expect that the testing would be held in in Lecture Hall and people come and go through the hall way and you can hear them.

What day of the week? What is typical starting time? Usually these are set by certifying agency.

Would be good PR.

1 Like

What group sponsors and charges for the exam

That would be VCC and the funds go though DMS proper. Our current requirements are that students teach honorarium classes after the prep class and do a lab or two to not only gain addition experience but to cover the cost of the voucher to Pearson Vue.

What other requirements do they have?

1. Provide adequate parking and/or access to public transportation.

2. Provide access to people with disabilities, in compliance with
    the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (in the United States) or
    your country-specific requirements.

3. Provide an area separate from the exam delivery room for checking in
    candidates. There should be a workspace for the test administrator
    where the computer (must be a desktop workstation) that will serve
    as your administration workstation is located.

4. ESP Security kit will be connected to this administration
    workstation that will be used for check in. (ie camera security system through out the building and in the exam room)

5. There should also be seating for candidates who are waiting.

6. Provide lockers or other suitable storage for personal belongings,
    such as a lockable file cabinet, closet or backpacks with locks.
    • The candidate cannot take items such as pagers, paper, books and briefcases into the exam delivery room.
    • Lockable storage must be outside the exam delivery room.

7. Exam delivery room area

• Provide adequate lighting and ventilation, along with comfortable seating and work surfaces. Room lighting should provide sufficient light for keyboard and noteboard while avoiding screen glare.

• In the exam delivery room, remove equipment such as printers, fax machines, copiers or telephones while testing is in progress.

• Provide an enclosed, professional environment that is clean, comfortable, smoke-free and conducive to testing.

• Place the exam delivery workstations in a permanently enclosed area that is separate from the rest of the office space. It should be in a low traffic area away from any training rooms in use to avoid the sounds of students talking and moving to and from the classroom. Also, avoid placing the exam delivery room near an area where people gather, such as a student cafeteria or busy corridor

• optional but helpful:
      o Insulate the exam delivery room to minimize noise. In addition to insulated walls, an insulated ceiling will help minimize noise.
      o Commercially available acoustic privacy systems (or “white noise” generators) use sound-masking technology to effectively mute external noise. These may be helpful in areas where traffic or street noise is sometimes a problem.

8. Place each exam delivery workstation on a clean surface that has no obstructions overhead and underneath. The desk space established for each workstation should measure approximately four feet (1.2 meters) wide. Only one workstation should be placed on each four feet (1.2 meter) of space.

9. Separate candidates within the exam delivery room. Separate exam delivery workstations with at least four feet (1.2 meters) of empty space on all sides, or use privacy partitions.

10. Candidate proctoring/monitoring options:

• Live feed video surveillance system
  • Proctor inside exam delivery room

How many computers would be required to have configured for the exam?

We’re looking to offer three Exam pc’s and one for running the main intake and training server software. Which we’re able to get a fairly decent deal with https://www.sourcecode.com/systems/desktops/all-in-one since they work with non profits and education centers to fulfill thier it inventory needs.

Where would they come from?

As of the current plan it is as an offering to the membership and anyone that signs up for the certification classes that is submitted to meetup, and the calendar. However, I’d suppose this would be something that PR would want to get involved on as well since this gives us the opportunity to tie it in with the efforts for the STEM program and offer this to high school students within the dfw area and potentially reach out to the City of Carrollton to offer a hands up program to individuals seeking better career opportunities.

Will DMS be expected to “Be quiet” during their exam? What day of the week? What is typical starting time? Usually these are set by certifying agency.

These are actually something that is scheduled by us for the available exam window and would take place doing the day time hours between 10-16 to prevent disruption of general makery and utilize “non-peek” makerspace hours that tipically goes to waste anyways.

2 Likes

Just how old is this document? Pagers and no mention of mobile phones.

1 Like

copyright is from the last few years but good chance they’re using copy from an older document. then again, I’ve see a few people bringing pagers back to life.

1 Like

If you send me your fax number, I’ll forward a more current version.

2 Likes

I no longer have POTS to plug it in…

3 Likes

Do you envision this as a revenue center for DMS? What’s your cost estimate of what it would take to outfit a suitable testing center?

Unfortunately we do not have an ADA-compliant site.

4 Likes

I vote no. no no no no 20

I believe it is well within the scope of an educational non-profits mission to support this.

It does promote DMS publicly so it has PR value. Paying driver’s entry fees for the Lemon’s race car is based on it’s PR value, no?

Now whether this or anything else is something DMS want to do or is deemed worth the expense an effort I think is what is being discussed here. Based on what I read above or else where the testing would take place during week days so it would be competing very little for classroom space. If during prime times: week nights and weekend days, that could be a consideration. Other considerations are dedicated floor space for lockers.

I’d like to see more of the discussion. I’ve asked questions and they’ve been answered.

1 Like

Unless this is a major revenue source, dedicating this much prime space for something which happens so infrequently is a problem.

4 Likes

Maybe we can require any of the test takers to clean out the wood-shop dust collectors and clean the filters first as part of the requirements?

10 Likes

not sure that fits with it, cyber security, and, design ( ie cad/digital art) but if there’s a good case we could see.

1 Like

At this point the plan has been with current resources available to VCC thus limiting capacity.

However, if the board is open it and there is no threat to our 501c status then there’s a chance we can look into this being a revenue to the space. Given there is a budget granted for instructors.

1 Like

Do NOT presume that Classroom wants to be involved in this.

1 Like

my apologies, there was no presumption involved but I will gladly amend my statement

2 Likes

One of our most valuable resources is classroom space/time. While everyone’s numbers will be different, we might consider how may members receive benefit (knowledge, skill, repair, fellowship,…) from each hour of classroom time. If the average class is two hours and eight members consider they have received a benefit, that amounts to four member benefits per hour of classroom time. How many members will receive a benefit for each hour of testing service time?

4 Likes

I really do hope they merge the other thread into this one.

In another thread, I mentioned that Pearson does pay testing centers and this may be able to cover paying for the proctor in terms of something like honorarium for doing it as well as instructor materials and equipment.

2 Likes

please link to the “another thread” and @Team_Moderators will do the needful

1 Like