OSHA’s New Silica Rule in effect Oct. 23rd

Ran across this article today and thought it pertanent to DMS in general and the air quality in Metal specifically around sand blaster use.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power-tools/dust-extraction-tools/the-silica-rule-can-you-afford-noncompliance_o

The “sand blaster” does not (is not SUPPOSED to) use silica-based materials, though. Which still does not make it healthy for there to be any airborne particulates…
Any idea how to actually fix the problems with it?
(Throwing it away does NOT count)

You took away my only solution …:wink:

But seriously, I have no idea why it’s so bad. Seems that I remember @Brandon_Green put together some air quality data that indicated either when the sand blaster and/or plasma or both were utilized the air quality was completely degraded and had particulates that were very high.

I’ve used other cabinet blasters in the past and they never seems as leaky as the one in metal is. Perhaps it’s just worn out? Not sure if there is a fix or not.

EDIT: when OSHA creates a rule around Silica, you can note, like all Feds do, that it will encompass dust and particulates no matter what the make-up is.

1 Like

Perhaps, though it was purchased less than 12 months ago, and is a relatively quality piece. Perhaps we underestimate the amount of use it sees. I suspect we underestimate how little it is maintained, and I think that is the solution. But I can’t MAKE people do the right thing…
EDIT: I’ve had trouble getting ME to the right thing, and pitch in on maintaining the blaster cabinet when I’m on site

1 Like

The usual issue is either the dust collector not being used, or being plugged up. The cabinet is supposed to be held at negative pressure by the collector. It isn’t the cabinets fault if the collector can’t do that.

2 Likes

Maybe your right. Maybe it’s a tool that doesn’t fit into a DMS setting? Just not sure.

Do you know the model of that blaster or maybe it’s on the wiki, I’ll check there.

I suppose then it might be another trainning issue with an RFID access. Maybe that would solve the problem.

:+1:
:slightly_smiling_face:
I’ll give it a few minutes before I post the link, since you’ve offered to try fishing in the pond…
:smile:

1 Like

Ok I did find it on the wiki … after looking at the instructions, what struck me was that one of the times I was in there, someone that is always there no matter when I am there was going to town on some parts. That blaster looked like a steam locomotive spewing out black smoke.

I realize now that the dust collector wasn’t even connected at that time. I doubt they knew that now.

Maybe that’s where all the issues are with the cabinet. I’ll be there tomorrow morning and I’ll check the collector.

2 Likes

IMO, the collector is too small and clogs up too soon.

2 Likes

Usually it is the filter. It gets dirty quickly.

1 Like

Personally, I think the dust collector needs upgraded for rigidity and perhaps volume. But Tim says it’s all good. I certainly yield to his intelligence, experience, and knowledge on this topic. :slight_smile:
That loops me back to thinking it’s a lack of maintenance thing.
EDIT: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Sandblasting_Cabinet
owner’s manual linked @ the bottom
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/File:ALC_40411_Blast_Cabinet_Owners_Manual.pdf

1 Like

If it’s the filter getting clogged, would one of those Cyclone separator’s like we have on the Shapeoko, or like people use for Shop-vac dust collection setups be helpful in this application? Pretty sure the shapeoko one was 3d printed in house. Those solutions are meant to get most of the particulates to fall out of the air before it hits the filter and into an attached bucket.

2 Likes

About 50% correct. I have extensive data from Brandon’s sensors.

Conclusions:
The following things cause particulates to go very high:

• Sand blaster
  • Welding

The following things cause particulates to go high:

• Sweeping the floor
  • Walking around in the Metal Shop (i.e., stirring up the smut)
  • Running the PlasmaCam, but only if it runs for a very long time.

Running the exhaust fan on the PlasmaCam while welding (without the PlasmaCam in use) reduces the particulates overall.

2 Likes

Good info … so really have a ventilation problem overall.

I have noticed when I coming into Metal and nobody is there or nobody using the plasma that the fan for the plasma seems to be always on. Must be folks are thinking it’s a space ventilation solution. I believe I training I was told to only turn it on when using the plasma.

Probably, but it is the only ventilation available.

The welding table does have a ventilation system if used.

1 Like

You were, in part because that fan evacuates, rather than re-filters the air, so all the heated or cooled air get sucked outdoors.
Also, folks, in general, in my opinion, FORGET. It’s not a conscious decision to improve air quality in the room. It’s not bothering to turn it off when they leave.

1 Like

I wonder how viable it would be to create a plenum using the metal equipment in the shop to rebuild the top of the plasma vent duct since that seems to be the only outdoor access? From there, run round vents to the blaster with a fanned hood and another branch over to a hood above the welding table?

Kinda of like a home ventilation system, but with fairly nice fanned hoods.

I wouldn’t say it’s all good. That damn filter clogs quickly.

Additionally we are going to add vents over the welding table(s). That has been discussed in previous committee meetings. In fact I provided actuators for those dampers.

2 Likes