Open Tour - Digital Media Room - I need Member help

I didn’t see anything planned tonight in the Digital Media Room. I wanted to see if another member would ‘sponsor’ me to setup a webcam on one of the machines and then use the blue screen so people can walk in and see themselves in front of different backgrounds.

This would help demonstrate the ease of using the blue screen for LIVEstreaming as well as some things that can be done in post production editing.

Another thing I would like to see is a notice that the video will be recorded. By doing this we can make a short montage of people coming in to play around with the blue screen at Dallas Makerspace. Then upload it to our YouTube channel.

I am not yet a member so I would need an existing member to ‘hang out’ with me. If someone/others were willing to do this we could discuss/have a class on how to do various things in livestream, production video or post editing.

Anyone?

I want to ask something that I think others have considered asking, too. You seem to have a tremendous amount to offer to DMS and would like to get involved more, but yet you seem reluctant to join.

You could teach a class a month and pay for your membership. What’s holding you back from joining?

Frankly, every time I read one of your posts I wonder what is your motive for wanting to abstain from joining. It seems unnatural to me to have to ask a member to “hang out” with you when you could do it yourself if you would just join.

Maybe you can help me understand your reluctance. I find that the $50 per month fee is a pittance compared to the value DMS offers its members. I’d encourage you to sign up.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Frankly, it’s kinda weird. Not like a fun, cool weird, but as in my avatar creepy.

4 Likes

I have to say, as a defender of the “wait and see” approach, Abel’s answer to this question just might be his biggest contribution because, as you point out, the seemingly symbiotic nature of his and DMS’s interests makes him a prime candidate. So if we can understand his reluctance, it might help us understand the reluctance of others who are less aligned, but still might make good members…
Sorry to assist in the waylaying of your topic, Abel.

2 Likes

@coloneldan, @mblatz, @jast, a missed opportunity to use Reply as linked Topic?

Blah I didn’t know you could do that either… bing!

Well I did it the old fashioned way… started a new thread:

I’m an “I’ll try anything (no not that) once” kind of guy, and would like to see the Digital Media space take off a bit, so; Sure I’ll work with you.

I’ve got lots of media production experience and can bring some additional production lighting. I’ll suggest that a Thursday evening would be a good time as that’s the day that there are tours.

4 Likes

Cool… Well last night I brought ALL my broadcasting gear, but tonight I am not going to bring my rig (computer). I can bring two tripods with a HD webcam and a Canon T3i I use for video and I can bring a wireless mic like what news casters use on location. :wink:

Lighting is definitely lacking in the room and my softboxes, even in my truck, are a hassle to take places. So if you had something to try out in the DM room, that would be cool.

I have a Lowell TOTA kit with umbrellas. 2 issues are that they’re 3200k and hot lights so I’m a little concerned about burning out that little room.

Sony F5 & FS7 , Panasonic AJ-PX270 & AJA CION cameras are also currently at my disposal, but that changes on a daily basis.

Oh, I’m also not able to come tonight as i’m headed out of town. Sorry that I missed that part of your original message. :frowning:

Yeah hot lights are gonna be very hot in there after a few minutes.

I do have some small clamp style lights on tripods that are easier to go mobile with. They only have one small 23W(100W) CFL bulb. I usually use them for lighting up a wall/backdrop or bounce off a ceiling.

I can bring two of those easily enough.

Nice cameras by the way… :wink:

Stepping onto soap box.

Adding to Dan’s and mblatz comments, you give plenty of reasons for wanting to take advantage a free ride as long as possible. Okay. Personally, since you are actively avoiding becoming a member, please refrain from using “We” and “Our”, this may be a personal hang-up/issue. You have declared your current intent at active non-inclusion, hopefully you will see the value proposition of becoming a member a some unknown point in the future which will help further the DMS mission.

You don’t want to teach “Free Classes” but have no qualms with taking them, as Dan points out, teaching a class a month would cover the expense of membership. DMS does have open to the public as part of OUR mission so you are of course welcome to attend. News flash: nothing is free, DMS is a Docracy. There costs associated with that and We, the DMS members bear those costs in money and volunteering time in many forms other than teaching…

Step off soap box … damn probably going to have to pay $15/mo to store it in the near future. Note to self: switch to Retiree, use savings to pay for storage. Nah. Wouldn’t be Excellent.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to tell you that… :smile:

@Adam_Oas I really appreciate your offer to meet up with me this evening, however I don’t believe I will be making a trip this evening to the Makerspace. Apologies if you made any changes to your schedule on my part.

we used the “green” screen last night. im pretty sure it needs more lights for it to work properly~

Just wanting to keep it factual…