Official Voting Schedule (Online Voting Closed-Vote in person tonight)

Meet The Candidate: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:00pm in the Lecture Hall

Cutoff for Statement of Intent for Online Voting Ballot: Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 12:00pm (noon)

Cutoff to register for online voting: Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 12:00pm (noon)

Online Voting Begins: Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 7:00PM

Online Voting Ends: Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 12:00PM

Deadline for submission of Statement of Intent (In-person voting only) : Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 7:00PM

In-Person Voting: Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:00pm

Voting Ends: 10:00PM, Thursday, April 12, 2018

Election Results Announced following closure of polls.

All times CDT

DMS Voting Rights site is live at https://votingrights.dallasmakerspace.org/ it allows you to add or remove your own voting rights.

4 Likes

when is the cut off for statement of intent? seems weird that it says april 8th but meet the candidates is april 4th… meaning if you dont like the candidates you can submit- then we havent met all the candidates… or am i overthinking things?

As I understand it, you must register to be a candidate for online voting (or you can’t be voted for) but you could totally not do the Meet the Candidate if you didn’t want to (but it’s not exactly a great way to start things off).

The cutoffs are at different times - you can delay filing till right up to the end, BUT:

• If no SOI, no can do Meet the Candidates
  • If no SOI the time E-ballots go out, you won’t be on the e-ballot
  • You can file a SOI right to the end have your name on the paper ballots and people voting in person can vote for you.

It maximizes the time in which you file but at the cost of progressively less exposure.

How does a “Meet the Candidates” meeting work?

EDIT: Never mind. My face is red. I read the calendar, which says
“Introduction, statements by candidates, and questions answered by the audience”

As I recall from the past, each candidate present gives a short (5 minute?) statement.

Then members take turns asking questions with each candidate getting a chance to answer.

1 Like

Hmmmm last year it was the candidates that answered questions.

2 Likes

The easiest solution would then be to require that all candidates file by the E-ballot limit instead of allowing some extra time.

3 Likes

Luke Strickland used Lob.com to do the mailing for the election.

Lob cost $150/mo. Prorated cost for the rest of March is $38.71

We filtered out members with no address and sent 1,382 requests for a cost of $995.04 for a total of $1033.75. The BoD allocated $1,000 for the mailing effort.

1 Like

Whas that a physical mail out?

Did they allocate $$ for the online voting system? The online system relies on an email address or paper ballots.

This was a physical mailout by a third party, Lob.com. There was $1000 allocated for it.

There was also money ($300?) allocated for online voting. I’m not sure what the online system’s requirements are for authentication.

Paper ballots will be printed locally April 12 just before the the in person voting.

1 Like

Luke Strickland has the Voting Rights site live at http://votingrights.dallasmakerspace.org/

It will show you if you have voting rights, and allow you to add or remove your own voting rights, if you are eligible for them. It requires your DMS login and password.

4 Likes

Luke is working on getting a SSL cert to fix that issue soon. I just thought it would be a good idea to get the information that it was live out to the members.

1 Like

We have a lot of work to do for all of the applications before your DMS password is not sent in the clear.

1 Like

SSL is now setup, thanks for noticing!

6 Likes

This is the first election that I am eligible to vote so please excuse the ignorance.

• How is the election being handled, 3rd party, internal?
  • Where/when will information be posted about online voting steps?
  • Who is running for what position within the BoD?

The electronic voting is being handled by a 3rd party, @Lampy is running that effort. The paper ballots will handled internally. Likely by me and @Lampy and any other willing volunteers.

Likely as soon as we have something setup to post about.

You don’t run for a “position within the BoD” you run for the BoD, then the newly seated BoD elects the President and Secretary. A list of who is currently running is in the Wiki at https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:2018_Statements_of_Intent

4 Likes

Any new information about this? Thanks.

The system we used last year is SimplyVoting.

The description of How it Works is at: https://dallasmakerspace.simplyvoting.com/index.php?mode=brochure

Basically you receive an elector ID & password via your email address as listed in our membership manager system/WHCMS.

How Simply Voting Works

Click on the Home link above to get back to the welcome page. Then, submit your Elector ID and Password.

If your login was successful, you will be shown a menu listing all current ballots in which you are eligible to vote. If you have not yet voted, you may click on the ballot name and an electronic ballot will appear.

Once you submit a ballot, the results are encrypted and stored in a database. Your Elector ID is then flagged as “voted” and will not be eligible to vote on this ballot again.

1 Like