2018 BoD Election (4/12), Statements of Intent and Voting Rights

Talk to @AlexRhodes about the company used.

I know who we used, SimplyVoting. I just have not heard any deadlines for registering as a voting member or the dates we want to host the election.

1 Like

My understanding is that is happening tonight

Infrastructure was given money to pay for SimplyVoting. If you want to run the process, I would welcome you taking it over. I’ll pay for it.

Thank you for volunteering!

4 Likes

If we follow the date structure from last year, it will be midnight April 1.

1 Like

I think @Robert_Davidson got a quote from them and paid for it. You provided the voting members CSV and I setup the questions.

Midnight at the start or the end of April 1?

1 Like

LOL
24:00 April 1, or 00:00 April 1?
I had the same question.
Either way, heckuva day…

11:59PM 4/1/18

1 Like

Who is going to sue? Walter isn’t able to any more…

4 Likes

Zack,

Come on guy, give it a rest, I do assume you are being sincere and EDIT: NOT trying to assume the mantle of troll.

All ballots at corporations and government have cut off dates for being listed on the ballots. You have to persuasively argue that the cut-off date is “unreasonable”, but I doubt you could find a judge that would find being put on the ballot as late as 4 days before the election was unreasonable, unconscionable, prejudicial to candidates or that candidate can submit a SOI as late one a hour before the paper (in-person) ballot at annual meeting election.

If you really believe that this is illegal, file a SOI one hour after getting your name on the electronic ballot is closed. This will probably help you have standing sue as a plaintiff. You can file for injunctive relief to stop the election or electronic the electronic ballot if you don’t want to wait till the cut-off (but standing may be an issue).

As to the authority, the elections are held at the annual meeting. Our by-laws leave conducting this meeting, which includes voting, since it is the purpose of the annual meeting to the BoD sets the date and how the meeting will be conducted - which includes voting…

Section 2.3 Annual Meeting

The annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be conducted at a place and time set by resolution of the Board of Directors.

I do agree we should set in the Rules the annual meeting date, voting related matters: time, place, and manner of voting. I’d suggest 3rd Sunday in April.

But not formally having this in rules currently when Section 2.3 grants the BoD powers for conducting the annual meeting does not invalidate or make this election unlawful.

You may disagree with everything I just said and you have a right to file suit for relief and may exercise that right. If others feel this way, they can join you and share the cost.

2 Likes

[quote=“zmetzing, post:42, topic:33097”]
Not sure why you jumped to the conclusion that I have any interest in litigation.
[/quote] The prior statement below is the basis.

[quote=“zmetzing, post:9, topic:33647”]
Without an official rule on the books, this totally made-up and would not stand up in court. One could argue that by not being included in the E-ballots, one is a disadvantaged candidate.

I recommend that the new BoD work to put these dates in concrete rules to avoid such an issue.
[/quote] (emphasis added.)

To be fair, I had the same conclusion… based on past experience with other members using similar language.

3 Likes

It’s great to see that (at this point) there are already eight candidates for the board!

1 Like

Nine.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/2018_Statement_of_Intent_Adam_Oas

16 Likes

I just got an email for voting … the site that it pointed me to says these are the candidates

Is this correct?

The list of Board of Directors Candidates. You may select up to 5 options:

Alex Rhodes (@AlexRhodes)

Brian Davis (@Tapper)

David Guill (@DaveG)

David Kessinger (@Photomancer)

Kris Anderson (@Kriscat30)

Luke Olson (@lukeiamyourfather)

Mitch Cerroni (@themitch22)

Robert Davidson (@Robert_Davidson)

Steve Blanchard (@Diplomat)

Walter Anderson (@wanderson)

Does this need to be updated?

2 Likes

Yes, that needs to be updated.

1 Like

Well, maybe somebody already updated it, because the site it pointed me to says this:

3 Likes

It flashed last years text, I cleared the cache and it displays the correct message now.

What I get for storing last years election data.

Still up to you to vote for Walter or not :slight_smile:

FYI,

The candidate list is randomized for each elector.

7 Likes

Walter would still make an excellent Director. Hopefully we heed the wise advice he provided all the years he helped build us.

14 Likes