Ninjaflex! ...at the 'Space?

Hey y’all…

This is a bit of a multi-purpose post.

I’m seeing more and more posted on Facebook and YouTube about successful Ninjaflex printing!

I would love to have some really good samples of Ninjaflex prints that have been printed by DMS members (both to display in 3D Fab in general; but, specifically to have on display during the Big Open House!).

I personally want to see how good the prints are starting to come out; as well as hopefully pique some interest from current and potential future members!

What I would really like to do, is have someone bring a printer to the 'Space and have it actually printing Ninjaflex objects during the Grand Opening / Big Open House - so we all can see it in action!

I know that Peter (@redslashace) has a PrintrBot Metal that he and Mitch (@themitch22) have been printing with Ninjaflex on… I know James (@James_Koffeman) has left a sample of a Ninjaflex print he printed a while back when he was starting to get some real solid quality Ninjaflex prints…

Who else has been been printing successfully with Ninjaflex? (@edkman, @frank_lima, @PearceDunlap, ???)

I’d like to look into either upgrading one of the PolyPrinters to be able to print Ninjaflex and/or buying a PrintrBot Metal for 3D Fab. I can’t think of a better time to drum up interest; and, perhaps some donations to help go toward either a Ninjaflex-optimized upgrade for one of our Polyprinters and/or a PrintrBot Metal so we can start using Ninjaflex at the 'Space! :smiley:

tl;dr:

1. Let’s get some really good samples of Ninjaflex prints to display at the 'Space - including some really impressive ones for the Open House!
  2. Let’s get someone to bring their Ninjaflex ready printer to show off at the 'Space during the Big Open House! (Who all is gonna volunteer?!!) If I can get a solid commitment, I’ll order a spool of Ninjaflex specifically to use for the Big Open House - so all ya have to do is volunteer your time and show off the printer’s capabilities! Lemme know ASAP!
  3. Let’s get ready to toss some money in to upgrade and/or purchase equipment to allow us to start printing Ninjaflex at the 'Space! It won’t take much… We can definitely make this happen! :smile:

ps… we still need help with the tables… it would be super nice to have them ready in time for the Grand Opening / Open House! I have no clue how to weld; and, there are others at the 'Space who can do a much better job with the wood tops than I personally can. I can paint the legs, though - w00t! If we all pitch in and help, we should be able to get 'er done! :smile:

2 Likes

I’ll ask Peter to bring his Printrbot, I have a sample ninjaflex print.
They’re very rough because of the oozing, so it needs better calibration.

In the future the Mendel90 we’ll be building in class for 3D fab should
have the capability to print ninjaflex or other flexible PLA materials.

I would like to see actual multi-material samples like ABS parts with
ninjaflex hinges.

2 Likes

That’d be awesome! Thanks Mitch!

Let me know if he agrees to bring it!

Also - it would be absolutely fantastic to get some samples of multi-material prints! Do you know of anyone who has had success printing any? If so, please point them to this thread, so we can try to sweet talk them into bringing samples by for us to show off as technology that’s available (if not specifically at the 'Space ‘yet’ - at least somewhere and hopefully sooner than later at the 'Space! :slight_smile: )

Thanks!
:smile:

I’ve printed a few things with Ninjaflex, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533576 (that’s an iphone case I made with it also in the picture…) , but it is a bit finicky. I have it running on my Rep 1. All you really need is an extruder with support right out of the drive gear and feeding into the extruder heat chamber. I don’t see why we couldn’t “print” a drive system for our Polyprinter that would work. There are enough drive systems on Thingiverse that something could be modified.

1 Like

Dear Lisa:

We will probably be at the space working on the glove that evening. We
probably would be in the general work area. Would probably be a great
opportunity to show off both the ninjaflex printing as well as the glove
project. :smiley:

Sincerley,
Peter Sassaman

1 Like

That’d be awesome if you could do that Peter (@redslashace)!

'n Patrick (@Captchemo) - those prints look pretty good, in pix anyway!

As far as the PolyPrinters, since they are still under warranty, I am waiting for clearance/guidance from PolyPrinter… Hopefully we’ll have something in place soon - one way or another! :smile:

BTW… Where do y’all buy your filament? Is there anywhere to get it at a discounted price? Looks like it’s about $47 - $52 for .5 kg on Amazon (and other sites)… Also - which color(s) seem to print best? (I’m guessing color affects quality - just like it does with ABS, right? No?). Finally… Anyone use the Ninjaflex SemiFlex yet? If so, which do you like better (and why)?
http://www.fennerdrives.com/ninjaflex3dprinting/_/3d

Thanks again!!!
:smile:

Have we at all tried PolyFlex?

It is a Flexible PLA that prints at 210-230 (ABS temps) and its a fair bit cheaper.

http://polymakr-llc.myshopify.com/collections/3d-printing-filaments/products/copy-of-polymax-pla-true-colors-1-75-mm-0-75-kg

Yes, I use it. Good stuff. I’ve been very happy with it, and with their polyMAX as well.

Hi everyone, do we know what weekends the polyprinter is scheduled ot be set up with ninja flex?

I thought it was permanent on the far left printer

Last I was there was converted back to abs because of the high demand, and that it would be converted to ninja flex at designated times for special projects. I’ll be there tomorrow night maybe someone there will know :slight_smile:

The last post I saw regarding it was this one: Ninja Flex Printer

It mentions a poll with a few options. I think a vote was taken, but I can’t find the results (I might suck at searching). @LisaSelk is definitely the best person to ask on this.

Lefty was actually temporarily converted back to ABS, and the poll was
basically put on hold, because PolyPrinter took the extruder back to do
some modifications on it to make it even better…

Good news is… The flexible extruder is back on Lefty and it’s configured
for NinjaFlex / flexible filament again! :slight_smile:

If you have been trained to use the Flexible Filament, and have the code,
you can jump right in and start using it. If you haven’t been trained yet,
please check the wiki and ask one of the Flexible Filament Trainers to
train you on it. (It only takes a few short minutes to be trained to use
it… smiles)

Thanks!
=)

1 Like

Anyone tried either of these flexible filaments? I really want to get my hands on the Flex 65!

This one looks to be a fair bit softer, but not as tough as NinjaFlex: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/flex-65-filament-black/

This one just looks fairly similar to NinjaFlex: http://recreus.com/en/filaflex-filaments/42black-filaflex-175mm.html

Hi Jory (@Jory) … I personally haven’t tried them…

@edkman, @PearceDunlap, @James_Koffeman, @frank_lima… do any of y’all have experience with them? If so, any advise/suggestions? :smile: