Ninja Flex Printer

Hi,

Im new to the fourm but use the 3d print lab often. I’m sure there is a discussion ongoing about this but I can seem to find a topic on here about it. Is there any talk about a deffinitve date for the removal of the ninja flex head? While it’s exciting the acuatl printer sees little use. The lines to print are stacked up again and many times the trip up to dms is met with dissapointment because the printers are in use for a 5+ hour print. Further is there anyway we can discuss desginating a printer to be used as a sub 1 hour print only?

As it stands the reason why we don’t swap heads is because the general population would require special training. I’m all for designating someone to replace heads, I just don’t know how reliable that would be.

If y’all are at the 'Space right NOW, go to the Board of Directors meeting
and let them know we need another 3D printer. I have a request on the
agenda for one. I am trying to get to the meeting myself. Chances of it
being approved are much greater if members are there to support the request.

To answer your question, in order to get as many members trained to use the
Flexible Filament Printer, it will remain configured as it is at least
through the end of this month. If the purchase of another printer is
approved, it will remain as it is. If the Board is not convinced we need
one to support the recent growth, then it will alternate with one week as a
flexible filament printer, one week as another ABS printer.

The meeting is NOW. I’ll be there as soon as I can. Anyone interested in
making sure we get another printer should head that way now, too Please.

Thx!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I wasn’t working until 7:30 I would be over there with torches and pitch forks.

Looks like 3D Fab is getting a new printer. YEAH!!!

So do we have another alternative filament we can lock down the new 3D printer with and ask for another 3D printer next month. :wink:

I’m just kidding, but I agree with the proposal to take Ninja flex off of the 3rd printer and turn it into a Ninja flex one week out of the month, or possibly two weeks every other month to have the same amount of time with half as many changes.

I’ve noticed much of what @Jason_Widelitz stated.

I disagree with the 1 hour print only printer, first come first serve solves many problems and the 1 hour only requirement would probably limit a majority of the 3D prints made at DMS. I know it sounds like a brush off, but planning times to be at DMS in non-popular hours is still viable to jump strait onto a 3D printer.

Ninja Flex is cool, but cost and material properties are very limiting on it’s applications. We should address this, and probably switch up how we are handling it. Not trying to speak out of turn or demanding, just stating what I keep hearing.

All the times I have been there, the NF printer is sitting there idle while everyone is queued up for the other two. I think the queue would be the same even with 3 printers.

I think it would be better that if someone wanted to do something in flex, that they would send an email to the fab team and schedule a time to run their job. Training/checkout on tools that aren’t the most popular, runs the same way, so it stands to reason that it could work for the flex printer option as well.

I would love to experiment with 3d printing, but I always feel guilty that I would be keeping someone from doing something useful if I was to be ‘wasting’ time printing experiments. Maybe if there were 4 printers there, I could feel a little less guilty experimenting.

Just chiming in on the number-of-printers debate. At RIT, I’ve been part of starting up a new hackerspace. We’ve barely existed one semester, and we’re already at 4 3D printers. They’re undoubtedly the most popular reason for people to visit the space. Our strategy was to buy a lot of (marginally) lower quality printers rather than splurge on one big, expensive one, and it’s worked out well so far. We have 4 Flashforge Creator Pros, and while there’s usually one offline for one reason or another (people using the wrong temperature profiles and burning PLA in the nozzle), I think it works well overall.

A lot of this was discussed during the Board of Directors Meeting yesterday, so those of you who were there already know what was discussed and how it’s going to be handled. :wink: :slight_smile:

I’ll post more a little later when I have more time. Thx! :smile:

Great to hear we have a new printer on the way. With regards to a designated sub one hour print time I figure it would be a testament to the honor code and I could foresee some problems with knowing exactly what an hour print is (the apron time on the printer is junk as we know) but still it would be nice to simply label one small prints only.
I suppose the reasoning being just making sure we aren’t holding up someone who other wise needs to print a knob or something that has a build time of 30 min. However as said before with the addtion of a fourth printer and removal of ninja flex we might not have to worry as much.

Also with regards to the ninja flex. It was my understanding that we were discussing a weekend out of the month; is that correct?  a full week on seems like a lot, but maybe as the popularity grows so will the demand I don’t know. thoughts ?

“Lefty” as the NinjaFlex / Flexible Filament Printer
It’s not going away; but, will spend part of it’s time as a NinjaFlex / Flexible Filament Printer, and part of it’s time as an ABS Only Printer.
I will post a separate thread about it later; but, basically there are four options that I will put up to vote:

1. One week ON, one week OFF - Pretty self-explanatory… with this option, it would be a flexible filament printer for a full week, then an abs only printer for a week. That would allow people to plan accordingly… If you prefer to use flexible filament, come use it the week it’s “ON”. If you prefer to use abs, come use it the week it’s “OFF”.
  2. Three days ON, four days OFF - Again, pretty self-explanatory. I plan to hold NinjaFlex / Flexible Filament Printer classes every other Saturday, so one of the “switch days” (for either option 1 or 2) would be on a Saturday. With option 2, it will need to be decided whether the three days ON will be Thursday - Saturday, or Saturday - Monday.
  3. Once “Far Lefty” (our newest PolyPrinter) arrives, if there is enough demand, we would keep “Lefty” as a Flexible Filament Printer pretty much all the time - except for times when one of the other printers happens to be “down” (or away for any reason).
  4. Have a member donation drive to purchase a printrbot simple metal (6x6x6) to be used for alternate filaments (including flexible filament, pla, etc…). With this option, we would accept donations from members to go toward a printrbot simple metal (6x6x6); and, we can match donations up to $400 from the 3D Fab Committee funds. Any donations above the cost of the basic model would be used toward upgrades (heated bed, etc… http://printrbot.com/product-category/accessories).
    Keep your eyes open for the poll that I’ll post later with these options.

Why we don’t just let members swap out extruders (between the standard ABS and the flexible filament extruders)? One of the main reasons is: Even though the process is not difficult, damage to the wiring - or worse - is a very real possibility. The more often it gets swapped out, the more often the chance of someone accidentally causing damage would present itself. That being the case, the extruders will only be swapped out by myself or PolyPrinter employees, and (with rare exception) only as scheduled. [Exceptions being when we have other printers ‘down’ for maintenance, or out at an event, etc… Not just on a whim.]

Dedicated Small (one hour or less) Print Job Printer / Large (multi-hour) Print Job Printer / Scheduled Print Jobs Only Printer / any other variations of single type usage - with the exception of types of usage that require hardware changes (which makes it difficult to be anything other than dedicated to that particular type, such as with the flexible filament - as it requires a hardware change to change it’s type of use…)
For various reasons, we are not going to dedicate any one printer for any of the above types of usage. They will continue to be first come, first serve. At any given time, a member should only use one printer at a time. If there is no-one else at the 'Space, a member may start a print on a second printer; but, must be willing to cancel the print if another member wants to use the printer. In those cases, there will be a twenty minute courtesy window - being that if the print job will finish within twenty minutes, it can continue. If it will take more than twenty minutes, it must be cancelled right away - unless the member wanting to use the printer offers to wait (Do NOT ask any member to wait more than twenty minutes to use a printer, if you are already using another one.)

“Wasting Time Experimenting” is not a concept I understand! A big part of being a member of Dallas Makerspace is having access to tools that we may not otherwise have access to, as well as being able to Learn how to do things we may not otherwise have access to learn in the hand’s on environment that we have at the 'Space… Sure, we can all YouTube until the cows come home and “learn” a ton of things online; but, NOTHING compares to actually Doing / MAKING / Learning new things with our hands - like we can at the 'Space! While the PolyPrinters are not available to tear apart and “experiment” with on the level some may wish… :wink: At the very least I want to keep the opportunity to Experiment with various filaments - such as the NinjaFlex - an available option as much as we can. In time, we will have other types of printers that will allow even more flexibility in what we can experiment with. For now, at the very least, we can offer the opportunity for members to get a hands on experience with NinjaFlex and other similar flexible filaments! :slight_smile:

Re: Number of / Quality of / Type of Printers at DMS…
The reason we stick with PolyPrinter printers as our main 3D Printers at the 'Space is because they are incredibly reliable; and, when issues do come up (from normal wear and tear, or from user error, etc…), PolyPrinter provides a premium level of support that cannot be matched! We will be getting some other types of printers in time (one is actually going to be built during Mitch’s class; and, if members donate toward a printrbot simple metal (6x6x6), we will have one of those sooner than later, too!); however, in order to ensure we have reliable printers available, we are grateful for the PolyPrinter printers that we have!

Again… Keep your eyes open for the poll I’ll be posting (see the first part of my response above)… The poll will only remain open for a few days (most likely 72 hours) once it’s posted.

Thanks!!!
:slight_smile:

@Jason_Widelitz @themitch22 @Nick @paulstaf @zootboy

Could we add an option of first week of the month ninjaflex, abs the rest of the month?

1 Like

How many people are printing flex? Are there some “behind the forums” conversations going on that no one is talking about here? I haven’t seen anyone chime in on the forums to say that they need/want the flex printer available for any particular length of time. How much of an interest is there in the flex compared to regular ABS.

1 Like

I agree. Not sure the ratio of ninjaflex prints to ABS justify having a Ninjaflex only printer.

One thing we should do is track how many hours the printers are actually being used. Surely there is a way to add into the G-Code or that everytime a print starts and ends it gets sent to a spreadsheet. Would show very quickly how much use the printers are getting. Also would get info on peaktimes and days.

If you switch to Ninja flex it would also shoe how much this Ninjaflex printer actually gets used.

If the printers track run time / filament use (I’m not familiar with these particular models), it would be pretty trivial to just log the run time before and after switching materials. I know makerbots have a “filament odometer” that shows exactly how many meters of filament have gone through the machine.

Hi Lisa,

Is there a schedule posted somewhere virtually so that we may have an understanding if ninja flex will be available on the days we travel to the Dallas maker-space?

Thank you.

Why not add it to the tool webpage and then it can be checked?

Just a thought.