Next Welding Class?

Same here!

What is the process for getting this class started? On the Teach a Class page, there is no info on tools training.

The tools page on the wiki has a bit more information about tools training.

For Metal Shop, youā€™re doing it. Talk is really about the only method of communicating requests, other than ā€œin personā€. Current Metal Shop chair Chuck ( @dallasmagna) and ā€œmost likely to lead a welding classā€ Lee ( @LeeCJones ) tend to be best approached in person, though, as Talk is not where they spend their time.
As for anyone else leading a class, talking with Chuck and/or Lee would be the best way to get started on that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve taken 2 welding classes at the space.

The first was the ā€œSafetyā€ class. Being 100% honest, I felt MORE danger was created by the class as it was a 100% classroom more about welding theory and defining what gasses are used than any practical skills. We didnā€™t even look at the machine (MIG) itself, but were told afterward that we should go and practice!!! WHAT? Thankfully one of the class members was an experienced (self taught) welder. After the class I was staring inquisitively at the machine with no concept of what to actually do when he approached and set the machine up so that he could do a quick weld himself. I learned much more (safety) in 10 minutes at the machine than I had in the hour+ sitting in the classroom.

Later, I also took Leeā€™s class, which was a hands on MIG class. It was great. He showed us pieces of the machine, told us about where weā€™d run into troubles, had a bunch of chunks of stuff cut out to weld together and everyone had a go at the machine. Probably only spent 30-60 seconds with an actual arc struck each, but it was enough to get a feel for whether you wanted to try more, or if it was just a passing fad. A GREAT class. There was literally no ā€˜curriculumā€™ other than: Hereā€™s what to do, and hereā€™s what not to do.

It might have been a good idea to start with 5-10 minutes of theory and safety slides/handouts, but in general just give me a quick demo and stand over me while Iā€™m trying it so that I donā€™t make stupid mistakes is all it really takes.

I assume that @dallasmagna might need to approve you as an instructor (the idea of who can and canā€™t teach certain classes is a bit vague in my mind) but if you know what youā€™re doing I donā€™t think heā€™d have a problem with it.

2 Likes

I was thinking that the class was about safety but also to turn the gas off & bleed it off once done. Also about techniques of welding MIG. I started using an arc welding (Lincoln 225)machine in 2000, self taught. Then a Hobart AC/DC stick machine in 2005. From there I bought a MIG machine in 05, then plasma cutter in 06. I learned the Circular technique first, I still use that way today. Iā€™ve done push & pull with the MIG gun, I even wore down my old m10 gun & replaced it with the pro-fax 180 gun. Even wore my rollers down too.

As they all say practice, practice, practice. We can show you some technique but ultimately its up to how much practice you get. I picked up MIG quickly because I had been arc welding for some time.

2 Likes

After Iā€™m allowed to weld safely on my own, youā€™ll definitely see me practicing my dime stacking. I want to be like Jody (seems like great tutorials/reference if you already know the basics).

It seems like next steps here would be speaking with either Chuck (@dallasmagna) and/or Lee (@LeeCJones) in person about either having an experienced member from this thread teach a class, or when they will next be teaching.

Will anyone be around DMS that could ask? Or I could stop by sometime in the next few days.

It would be great to get some sort of cadency going with these classes, similar to Woodshop Basics.

2 Likes

Earlier this year I signed up via Eventbrite for on of the hands on Mig classes however I was not able to make the date. If I recall correctly it was perhaps $50 and Iā€™d think proceeds would go to the committee. The classroom safety class was not as useful as Iā€™d hoped however did contain some information and suggestions for future study that were useful.

The Metal Shop welders page suggests hanging out in Metal Shop is the best way. Another option would be a committee meeting scheduled any time soon though Iā€™m not aware of one.

Iā€™ve tried this - the shop is generally empty at the times Iā€™m able to be there though.

The wiki states:

Generally training is not required for any equipment, but we do expect you to seek assistance and/or attend training classes as needed for the safety of all building occupants.

Iā€™ve watched a few safety videos - does this mean itā€™s OK to practice on my own?

Unfortunately I donā€™t live close to DMS and would rather not make the trip if thereā€™s a chance someone wonā€™t be around to help out.

Would anyone be available on Wednesday evening, or any time this weekend to walk through safety and basics? Iā€™m more than happy to pay a fee to the committee or instructor for their time.

There is signage making it official that the welders and plasma torches require training.

I did speak with Chuck for a couple minutes last night, so hopefully heā€™ll be able to act on some of the suggestions here soon.

2 Likes

Thanks @Adam_Oas.

Looking forward to hearing about some class announcements.

My point is that I didnā€™t want to have a person to person conversation to where it could be considered favoritism or to get the chair in trouble. Case in point was when a former chair told someone they could go ahead & use the woodshop tools. Now I wasnā€™t involved & that I can say is second hand rumored information. Iā€™m personally just trying to keep myself & others out of trouble.

Just throwing my hat in as being interested in learning welding once something gets put together :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s what, 7 people interested now, just on Talk?

We do need to keep in mind that itā€™s all volunteer based and thereā€™s no telling what is going on in everyoneā€™s lives at any given moment. I think weā€™ll see more classes at some point, they were occurring every few weeks earlier in the year. We just have to make it know thereā€™s interest, which weā€™re doing, and be patient!

2 Likes

Right of course! Sorry if my last comment came off the wrong way. I was just doing the math for honorarium qualification. I think itā€™s fair to say we donā€™t have to worry about that.

1 Like

If I end up giving a class, I personally wouldnā€™t care for the honorarium just because tax reasons. Mainly cause I donā€™t want to keep track of more paperwork that I would likely loose.

1 Like

You can always surrender it to the department (I believe that relieves you of any tax BS, since you never touch the money-- @Photomancer or Allen or @BenjaminGroves) can probably speak more authoritatively on that). It is my opinion that this is the ā€œrightā€ thing to do. YMMV. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess that will work if it works that way. I thought that you still had to be issued the honorarium then donate it. Funny thing is I have a bad habit of also not depositing checks either. My family will give me cash cause they know it will take me forever to deposit them, if at all

It appears to, to me.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Honorarium (the necessary steps. step 5 states: A Honorarium can be forfeited and given to a committee.[12]).
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#cite_note-12 (Cite note 12 states: the committee sees $100 instead of $50)

2 Likes