New Multicam CAM Class

We need some more Multicam Guinea Pigs

The Multicam team has been providing a pathway for existing authorized users to regain access for a few weeks now. Now is the time to introduce the next phase of on-boarding.

Priority will be given to existing authorized users who are wanting to brush up on their CAM skills in order to pursue the new checkout process.

The class date will be posted soon. This class will have a $30 wood shop fee when released, but the testing versions will be free.

This class is for those members who already know CAD or VCarve. This class is why we have been suggesting eager members take the time to learn VCarve by visiting the online tutorials. We will not be covering how to use CAD. Expect this version of the class to last between 2-3 hours. Please keep in mind that the Vcarve class for beginners is different and will be launched next.

We are posting this to gauge current interest levels. We plan on having two Guinea Pig classes (shake-outs). You must already understand how to create a DXF file from a drawing that will be provided to you. We will take the DXF file and turn it into the instructions the Multicam uses to make cuts.

If any of the above sounds like Greek to you, then wait for for the VCarve class.

CAD software used

• AutoCAD
  • Fusion 360
  • FreeCAD
  • VCarve
  • TinkerCAD
  • Solidworks
  • Sketchup
  • Catia
  • Solid Edge
  • OnShape
  • Rhino

0 voters

CAD Proficiency

• Under ten hoursJust beginning
  • Can draw almost any design, but very slowly
  • Reasonably proficient
  • It’s my day job
  • I can teach CAD to engineers

0 voters

CAM Proficiency

• Is CAM a type of food?
  • Understand what it is, but have never used it
  • Used to know it somewhat
  • Reasonably proficient
  • It’s my day job
  • I can teach CAM to engineers

0 voters

Least Preferred Class Day (i.e. I can’t attend that day)

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday Afternoon
  • Sunday Afternoon

0 voters

2 Likes

You missed those of us who use openSCAD as our first choice CAD. :grin:

I’m not currently a member, but plan on re-upping as you as I can get on the MultiCAM. The machine wasn’t operational when I joined, so I wasn’t approved on it obviously.

I’ve very proficient in CAD for a hobbyist, and I’m studying Aerospace Engineering. I use Solidworks primarily for CAD, but I’ve been using HSMWorks for my CAM because I’ve been using a friend’s Shark CNC a little bit. The shark doesn’t normally have any post processor except for VCarve/Aspire, but he wrote one for Fusion360, which happens to use the same postprocessors as HSMWorks with both F360 and HSMW being made by Autodesk.

I’ve also played around in VCarve a fair bit.

TLDR
-I want to be a guinea pig
-I wasn’t approved before
-I’m proficient in CAD, primarily Solidworks but I can learn any pretty quick
-I’ve used HSMWorks for CAM
-I’ve used VCarve

The current focus is to get members who were previously certified on the Multicam back up to speed with regard to changes in procedures/rules after the machine refurbishment.

After that previously uncertified members will be accommodated in a more thorough class.

Hey Scott,
This could be taken as you are willing to rent the Multicam for $65 a month or the student rate, but otherwise have little interest in being a member. Oh, and you want to try home grown post processors out on the machine? Sound like a great deal if you could get it…

We are going to train and support all those people we call members first. May sound harsh, but we aren’t tool rental counter at Home Depot. Have a great weekend.

I don’t want to try homegrown postprocessors on the MultiCAM. I’ve used them on a friend of mine’s Shark CNC. I believe MultiCAM has OEM post processor’s that would work.

I don’t think your characterization of my interest in the space is entirely fair. I had to cancel my membership because of the increased price of gas combined with the demands of my classes more than anything. I want to build things, but I was spending too much money messing up projects trying to do things without CNC.

I’m just trying to play to my strengths. Yes, I’m primarily interested in using the CNC, but that doesn’t mean I just want to rent it out. If I were to rejoin, I would want to get more involved in the space. I’ve thought about teaching a few classes. Particularly a basic SOLIDWORKS course and a wood finishing course.

But at the end of the day, my financial realities do not justify me driving out to the space burning $4.50/gallon, without the MultiCAM. I miss the Space and the community. I hope to be able to get back soon, and I’d appreciate if you didn’t view me in the worst possible subtext.

5 Likes

We have members coming from as far away as McKinney, Denton, Waxahachie, Burleson, Arlington, Mesquite, and Ft Worth on a regular basis. Continuous paying members have waited patiently, while also enduing those same wonderful gas prices. I guess keep your eye out for when all the existing members are trained up and then rejoin.

Tell you what Scott, the is a solution to your issue. This won’t result in you getting on the machine any faster than any other member, but it will get you in the hunt.

Since you mentioned teaching classes, I’m calling you on it. Rejoin, then place two classes on the calendar. One to pay your dues, another to pay your gas. Maybe teach three classes and you can eat at Jack in the Box those days you are here. If this is the issue, then you now have a solution.

1 Like

I have been considering doing this. I only learned of the honorarium recently. I have to see how my classes will play out this summer. But it’s something I might end up doing.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that you can teach more than three classes per month, but don’t try to do it all in a single day as that usually doesn’t result in quality classes for the other members. Consider wood shop basics/safety as one of your classes. You cam probably so that one a couple of times a month. Then add a wood working project class and solid works or a laser class. Members absolutely enjoy project classes. Keep them simple, under two hours.

My beginner SolidWorks classes have been going very well. There are room for 6 people plus a teacher in the computer lab, and all those computers can connect to the jump server to access the software needed, as well as any laptops people bring in. There is definitely also room for an intermediate class to go over stuff like revolved features, linear patterns, assemblies, etc. I teach 4-6 classes a month which covers all my expenses.

1 Like

Hanna, I’m pretty proficient in V-Carve but I want to look into whether I want to transition to SolidWorks. What is the title I should be looking for on the calendar for your intro classes?
-Greg

Not to speak for Hanna, but… “Solidworks”…

Suggesting that tagging them with “CAD” category in future might make them easier to find…

1 Like

Apparently I also need a class in using the Calendar. Greatly appreciated.

I don’t usually bother with tags to be honest.

@gsommers to answer your question, V-carve and Solidworks are very different software for doing different things. Solidworks cannot and will not replace V-carve, but learning Solidworks will expand what you can do with the CNC.

I’ll definitely join your class at some point. Always interested in increasing my capabilities.

I really only know basic assemblies. While I’m studying engineering at the moment, my CAD skills are mostly self-taught; I’ve always been ahead of my assignments in proficiency. And most my effort recently has been in modeling. Which is also what’s probably most applicable to what people would be doing at the space.

Recently I’ve been doing a lot of surface modeling. Trying to get models for guitar necks to my liking. That could be a good experience for people trying to model more complicated curved models. I tried doing it with solids forever, but it’s a pain in the ass. Far easier to do it with surfaces.

I’ve also been focusing on trying to model my designs more parametric and editable. To make them easier to adjust afterwards.

Do you think people would be interested in any of that?

Yes and yes. My class they make a basic 6 sided die with an extruded boss, extruded cuts, and fillets. We then export to .STL and .dxf for various uses around the space. My level 2 class will be around building a chair assembly. Certainly there would be use for a class on surface modeling

Does your class cover reference geometry at all?

Depends on how the students are doing. Some prefer to just use the smart dimensions tool