New Glock Gen5?

Has anyone shot the new Glock Gen5? I’m curious how it compares to the hype.

Its a Glock, so it will hit center mass as long as you aim it within 178.97253 degrees centered around your visualized target… :smile:

P.s. I still have my Gen 1 model 19 and it is capable of more accuracy then I am. Unless your competition shooting I doubt you’ll see a difference, except in ergonomics, and those are something only the individual can judge.

3 Likes

At a quick glance, looks like the differences are…

• New finish allegedly even better-er than their Tennifer process
  • New “marksman” barrel that does away with the long-standard polygonal rifling and uses more conventional grooves
  • Elimination of finger grooves on the grip
  • Flared magwell
  • Half-moon cut in front of the magwell to assist magazine removal (return of a gen3 feature?)
  • Bright/contrasting magazine followers
  • Ambidextrous slide stop
  • Different trigger that’s seemingly well-received
  • Rounded front edges on the slide
  • Better sights; believe that tritium night sights are a factory option
  • Maintains compatibility with previous-generation magazines
  • Probably some other things I’ve missed

Not really in the market myself, so I’ve only paid so much attention.

2 Likes

I wondered if the ambidextrous mag release would be an issue - this means that regardless of which hand you shoot with there is always a mag release under your hand.

I own a gen3 17 and used to own a gen3 21 - ambidextrous was not in the vocabulary back then. I vaguely recall it was introduced with gen4; gen3 and lesser magazines aren’t ambidextrous.

I believe that lefty magazine release operation requires a physical config change on the gun, leaving the left side flush when swapped.

Ex: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/GLOCKs/Gen4mag.jpg

But then it looks like there was some sort of ambi-release option as well, shown here:

Some people are seriously rejoicing the loss of finger grooves that didn’t suit them well.

I have heard, but not confirmed that the grip angle seems to have been adjusted. Or maybe it just points a bit different without the finger grooves.

Magazines are interchangable (with the conventional righty mag release), so the grip angle can’t have changed by much.

Why ambidextrous…I mean leftys should not be able to buy a gun…they are just weird! A freak of nature type thing …:grinning:

I’ve tried it and now want one, (full disclosure, I’ve never shot a gun of any kind I didn’t like)… but I want to build an 80% too.

Does it still produce the famous Glock Brass?

If I recall, that was an issue specific to hotter .40 S&W loads. Not sure if they altered the chamber profile to address it or not.

It affects 9mm too, but to a lesser percentage of brass than the .40 s&w. :frowning:

That bulge plus the fact that they are pig big is why I skipped Glock for my .40 pistols.

I refer to mine as the Block 17 for a reason. I’ve collected brass on and off over the years from it - and the 21 - and haven’t noticed said bulge, however the overwhelming bulk of the ammo I was using was standard pressure.

But almost nothing can be everything to everyone and pistols are no exception. I find the G17 to be quite satisfactory as a the duty pistol it’s sold as. I have larger-than-average hands and find the ergonomics satisfactory. It doesn’t conceal very well even when you’re borderline-outlier tall like me; makes me wonder why some sing the virtues of the barely-smaller G19 for carry. Some people don’t like the grip angle, the general ergonomics (even my large hands struggled with the 2x4-like grip on the G21), have quibbles with engineering concepts, dislike the design aesthetic, or have fought Glock bulge trying to reload brass.

Some of the best advice I’ve heard - and subsequently dispensed - is to find what you like through experience before committing. I’d consider the new Glocks if they were selling anything I’m considering buying myself, but I have decent experience with their products and gen5 is clearly an evolutionary development.

2 Likes

I think you may be referring to the gen 1-3 issues with excessive case bulge because the barrel chamber wasn’t as tight as it could have been allowing for back end case expansion,

That was largely resolved in Gen4 in my own experience.

That’s what I tell friends and family. Go to the range and rent a few pistols and see what you like. I love my Ruger SR40c as it fits my hands like a glove, is easy to shoot, and I’m accurate enough with it to score 248/250 when I was getting my CHL.

Pistols are cheap to rent over at Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville.

2 Likes

Not sure about Eagle, or if DFW gun still does it, but we have had DFW gun waive the rental fee if we bought one after trying out the rental.

They just opened a range not far from the space, on Midway between Spring Valley and Belt Line.

https://www.eaglegunrangetx.com/farmers-branch-gun-range/

2 Likes

:+1: Keep meaning to post up on that, but I figured this crew already knows, and I can’t seem to remember once I leave the car…

2 Likes

This is a re-branding of the FBI “M” models. All of these adds are good stuff, sadly, only available on the G17 and G19 for now.

I’m a Glock fan, although I came into kicking and screaming. I was a died in the wool 1911 fan for many years. But I started shooting the combat pistol games (IDPA. USPSA), and didn’t really understand pistols at all, until I did that (despite shooting them actively for many years). The production classes of these sports are rarely won by anything other than a Glock, and there are lots of reasons why. Correct grip angle, barrel axis low to the hand, high grip, square profile, no safeties. Glocks are made for using in the real world, for fighting, and not for poking little holes in paper (though they are also very accurate).

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas!

1 Like

True dyed in the wool hardcore 1911 bigots fans are really something to behold. There’s some weird combination of chest-beating patriotism, strict adherence to tradition, and selective ignorance.

John Moses Browning was a talented firearms designer, the M1911 was an excellent service pistol in the service of the United States for the better part of a century, and .45ACP is a decent pistol round. None of these facts are particularly persuasive or relevant when choosing a pistol to actually use. Heck, the fact that 1911s dominate the custom categories of competitive shooting has at least as much to do with inertia and decades of past development around the platform than their inherent qualities.

Listening to a lot of 1911 fans rant about how awesome the 1911 is, it’s amazingly similar to listening to someone that’s only ever lived in one place expound upon how it’s the best place on earth. “I shot [another make/model] of pistol once - hated it - was missing [1911-specific features] therefore it’s terrible”. Or one-liner dismissals - tactical tupperware being my favorite - that fail to address any actual strengths or weaknesses of other platforms.

The most vocal 1911 fans I’ve come across also tend to have the least to show for it. Their marksmanship is average-at-best, they spend immensely more on their hardware than everyone else, their pieces spend a lot of time with the gunsmith - either for the ubiquitous “trigger job” or because they accidentally fed it some Blazer Brass on Sunday using their Tuesday magazine - and they make few friends at the range. Listening to them reminds me of random-verbiage generators - vague statements around “trigger breaks like glass”, “as John Moses Browning intended”, “stopping power of .45ACP”, “like it better since I got it back from the 'smith”, “well worth the $2000 I spent”, “looks like it needs to go back to the 'smith”, “Remington UMC garbage”.

I’ve considered adding a 1911 to my collection, but the one time I tried one it was decidedly less than the spiritual experience I was promised. I’m satisfied with my P220.

This is phenomenon is applicable to almost any other make/model with a vocal following - however none of these

An example is the H&K P7. When I was shopping for a carry piece circa 2010 there was a dearth of single-stack 9mm pistols. All the palatable options at the time were spendy, unobtanium, or of questionable quality. An option that a certain segment loudly insisted I make was the H&K P7, which was …

• Out of production, thus difficult to obtain, resulting in …
  • … A cost more than twice as much as comparable models
  • Featured curious design features
    • Squeeze-cocking grip design disliked outside of the fanbase
    • Unusual blowback operation
  • Magazines cost close to triple those of comparable models - when you could find them

None of these facts mattered to the rabid fanbase. If one opted for anything else, it was clearly a lesser choice. Because reasons. Reasons that only made sense to those suffering from H&K Stockholm Syndrome.

I opted for a Walther PPS, which was the optimal choice for the time.

This is a subject that’s launched countless flame wars.

I stand by my suggestion that what works best for each individual is what they should go with - near-vertical like the 1911, some of the more-acute angles other makes use, or even the pronounced acute angle in the Luger. Everyone’s physiology and grip is a little different.

1 Like

Peyote helps you get in touch with the spirit of the 1911, at least it did me.