Need machine shop safety certification

Hello, Myself and my son joined makerspace and would like to get basic usage and safety instructions for machine shop especially the CNC machines and others. Please let us know if anyone is willing to provide a certification class. Thanks

Most of the machine shop tools are taught individually due to their complexity.

You can see which tools require training on our Tools list.

Keep your eyes on the calendar. If you see a class, sign up immediately. There is much training demand and only a few volunteers teaching so classes fill up very, very quickly.

If you make an advance request, training on the two cold saws can usually be accomplished in conjunction with a committee meeting or another training class.

Several of the larger tools require completing an independent study prerequisite before doing a machine side course. References can be found in the Talk post About The Machine Shop Category. Links are also posted via QR code on a poster on the cabinet side in the Machine Shop.

Right now I see there is a Bridgeport mill class on the calendar. You will have to complete the self-study before you can register. Links are on the event page.

The training can teach you how to operate the machines but does not teach you to be a machinist. If you don’t have machining experience, then watching YouTube machining tutorial videos in addition to the training will be valuable.

3 Likes