Need Help Designing and Building a Display

Hello Friends!

I have a project that I REALLY need help with. I have a small business in which I create and sell a product line of DIY Watercolor Kits. I need to build a display WALL to showcase all my designs that I could easily set up, take down, and fit into my Prius. I’ve tried a few different designs and none of them are suitable for my needs.

I’m willing to pay someone to help me design and build this project!!

Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

A little input from me that you are free to ignore. :wink:

To save weight I suggest laminating hardwood veneer onto gator foam or foam core. Be much easier to hang and transport. I had to build a fake fireplace once and this ended up being our solution. Even then brick veneer was still heavy.

3 Likes

I’ve used dowel rods stuck into the back of shelves before to make a temporary floating shelf design that you could just slide the shelf off of when done with. That might work for you. Then you’d just have the backing board to support the dowels and for the shelves to brace against to pack up.

1 Like

This is genius! Do you have a picture by chance??

No but I can post one when I get home. They’re what I use for my apartment so I can take them down when I move.

1 Like

A lot of Ikea shelving does this. There is a bracket that mounts to the wall and the shelf slides over the rods in the bracket. You could probably adapt one of these:

1 Like

P.S. - Welcome to DMS!

1 Like

Thank you!

Yah there ya go. This is pretty much exactly what I did. You could run the pegs through the back of the display board so that you could remove those as well, or use something like a French cleat system to mount the pegs on. Or even skip the middle man and just use a French cleat for all of it. Lots of options.

The weight of the shelves will make the wall want to tip forwards. You’ll need to build something L shaped so you can put weight on the bottom back and keep it from doing that.

For the wall itself, how big of a section can you put into your Prius at once?

I use a pop up display for my business, but YMMV on using something like that. They are cheap and you can use bent plexi to hold the boxes and simple Velcro makes it stick to the pop-up display. The one I have is a lot like this one, but has felt walls.

Hey Raymond, I don’t want to use a Pop system because I want it to be more customizable and less corporate looking.

Aaron, I love the idea of incorporating French Cleats! I think I could work with that concept but still need to figure out the structure of the wall. I’m thinking thin MDF with hinges so I can fold it flat in my car?? I don’t want an L shape, but would settle for an A frame

1 Like

A-frame is what I had in mind when thinking about it so that the weight is set back a bit. It’d be pretty easy for you to make it collapsible with hinges. Can even make it locking with a pin so that some overzealous lookie loo doesn’t take down the whole display.

1 Like

Would a poster style display work too?(and do away with the shelves altogether)

Great suggestion, but I need small shelves to hold my products and a couple frames.

I like the way you think!!
Could you help me build it? I could pay youuuu!! I’m great with ideas and terrible with execution, haha.

You could recess the products. Or put a “picture frame” around them, using the depth of the “frame” as a shelf to hold the product. It would be quainter, and attract more attention than a run of the mill shelf display.

1 Like

That’s clever. How would I recess the products?

The faux frame itself if made thick enough will act as a shelf. Let me sketch something.

Unfortunately not. I’ve too much on my plate as is :frowning: Sounds like a fun little project though and a good paced one for learning the ropes of woodworking.

1 Like

P.S. What’s the floor area you have available to display? What’s the width (& length with seats folded down) of your Prius’ hatch opening?