My thoughts on the horde of quality tools

That Sir, is a gorgeous bench - How did you like the Leg Vise? I’m in the process of making a portable Roman bench but something like that could be in my future this winter!

2 Likes

Hi,

We still have the standard material “grit” wheels in place for use. The CBN are easily ruined by softer metals (clogs the abrasive and can’t be “dressed” to clean) and are generally not able to be repaired - on the positive side they grind with less heat and almost no change in the diameter so chisel grinds are very easy to replicate.

1 Like

I’m just jumping in here to be a pedantic pinhead and point out:
softer metals clog ALL non-specialized grinding wheels, and they cannot be “dressed to clean” because the molten material wicks into the wheel, causing an explosion hazard. Lack of knowing (or disbelief in) this fact (we trust) is why the Metal Shop has training specifically to try and combat the use of grinders for non-ferrous material removal; we are trying to fix this ignorance through teaching (and locking up the grinders behind that teaching).

The CBN :horns: rock :horns:! <nicksilva Pity we can’t have nice things 'round here…/nicksilva>

2 Likes

Hi, Probably my ignorance but I’d understood that using the diamond dressing tool that is used to level or flatten grooves in the face would remove enough of the media ( I think our current ones are Aluminum Oxide?) to bring a fresh media from light clogging? I understand that molten material will wick deeper and I’ve heard of the explosion danger. Thank Jast - new info is always good!

2 Likes

As someone who has dressed metal shops grinders after finding aluminum, usually you can dress it enough to remove the galled offending soft metal, if you cant then replacement time. That has been how we have done it before.

4 Likes

It’s for Bench Cookies, silly.

3 Likes

The Benchcraft leg vise is the absolute bomb! I highly recommend it. However, your bench needs to have pretty stout legs (4"w x3"d) and a thick chop (>=2-1/2").

Here’s the thing: Once you’ve been around the space a while you’ll realize that there is an element of our membership that will treat delicate or expensive tools as if they were a bargain Harbor Freight hammer. And pound on things with them.

If the woodshop has nice tools - tools that require skill and practice to use - I suggest you spend some time honing your skills.

If the fancy tools are out for general use, they will not remain useful for long.

Fair or not, the policy has sound reasons.

5 Likes

I have no say in the requirements, but I do know there were a lot of damaged Festool sanders that resulted from people using them with just velcro without attaching any sandpaper. That would indicate a need for training or maybe signage or something.

Japanese blades, router bits present.

Bandsaw blade, chisels, and hand planes missing. I believe however that the chisels and planes belonged to members and went home.

Tormek in miter station.

Looks like the only thing that’s unaccounted for is the blade. Expensive consumable to be sure.

3 Likes

My own issue is obtaining the knowledge and skill to use nice tools, if there are never any classes on the nice tools. For example, let’s take the scroll saw. I’ve been wanting to learn how to use it so I can make a scroll saw basket, but I’ve been a member for about a year now and I don’t think (please correct me if I’m wrong here) I’ve ever seen a class on it, making it inaccessible to me. So I guess how do I hone my skills if I don’t even have access to whatever tool in the first place? A great example is the woodcarving classes, which do allow you to use nice tools but under the watchful eye of an instructor so you can learn without fear of unintentionally breaking a tool. It’s my worst fear that I’ll unintentionally damage something, which is why I love seeing classes that specialize in a specific tool/skill so I feel confident I won’t break a tool/machine

5 Likes

Your point in general is a good one, but specifically re: scroll saw, it does not require training. I highly recommend finding the manuals online and checking it out, then looking on YouTube for instructional and skills/techniques videos, and then just going in and using it. It is not an overly complicated or dangerous tool which is probably why it didn’t get assigned a “mandatory training” category).

3 Likes

Should clarify, I don’t think it has specific training but I believe you need the initial woodshop classes.

1 Like

2 Likes

Another avenue you might have considered was asking on Talk for someone to show you how to use it. I am sure someone in wood shop would have been happy to show it to you. Unfortunately in life the squeaky wheel gets the attention.

This sounds like a really fun project! I’d be interested in collaborating on this. Such a system would solve similar issues across the entire 'Space and remove many barriers to having nice things.

I bet this has been investigated, discussed, and probably even prototyped before in greater detail than I’m aware, so I’d definitely prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any existing DIY, RFID-based checkout locker projects at the 'Space? I vaguely recall @themitch22 and @denzuko working on a similar system for the 3D fab exotics cabinet back in the day. I found one interesting thread here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/rfid-locking-cabinet-locker/31294

2. There are many turn-key solutions available. Is anyone aware of existing or dead projects to evaluate these for our use? For example: https://www.autocrib.com/products/autolocker-fx
    An interesting thread here: Digital Media needs your help!

3 Likes

existing DIY, RFID-based checkout locker projects at the ‘Space’

At present? not that I’m aware of but we do have two wiki pages that have playbooks to build that same project.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/RFID_Storage_Cabinet
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/RFID_Interlock

1 Like

i have been a member for almost 4 years, and the scroll saw has only ever been working (to my knowledge) for about a week in total

2 Likes

Good info! Thanks!

It’s just such a finagly machine to use. I just use the lasers for all my scroll needs now a days. Replacing blades on the scroll saw is just not worth it.