My thoughts on the horde of quality tools

So I know there’s a lot of tools and accessories in the locked cabinet that would be nice to use for members ie the good Japanese hand saws, the router bits to make cabinet doors, the nice hand planes, the re-saw king blade, the nice chisels, etc etc and when it used to be anybody deemed skilled enough to use them was able to have access to use them, cause they are the caliber tools that only people with the experience needed to properly use them should have access to, but since the policy has changed to very limited people have access I believe that’s unfair because you have quality tools bought with maker space money that only a privy few are allowed to use. Now I do believe the supplies, replacement parts, class materials, and maintenance supplies should all be locked away and only accessible by a few, but i don’t think it’s fair to have a horde of fine woodworking tools not accessible to people with the ability to utilize them, maybe a smaller lock cabinet with the nice tools that when deemed talented enough to use people can have access to that way the stuff that needs to be locked down can but at the same time not deprive members of tools purchased with makers money! Just my thoughts

I was wondering where all that stuff got off to. Figured it walked out the door.

No last time I had access to the cabinet it was mostly all In there, I don’t think any of it had grown legs since but I’m not 100% on that

When I went through the cabinet last night with Paul many of those tools have walked off or were possibly taken out of the space by their owner (as they were not DMS owned). We are working to track this down better.

Right now we do not have the bandwidth or capacity to create and manage a system that approves and then gives access to these fine woodworking tools. Until that time, unless the committee votes otherwise, I’m inclined to keep those kinds of tools locked up.

If creating such a system is a project you would like to spearhead, let’s sit down and identify a path forward.

6 Likes

@patrickpleez1 - I think we have a volunteer opportunity with Chris to review and approve people.

6 Likes

I had no idea that there were fine tools actually locked up for their protection, although anyone who’s seen the area just outside the woodshop door would understand why. Do we have an inventory of what’s locked up (or supposed to be)?

2 Likes

Hey Jim,

As far I know, there is not an inventory, though a comprehensive inventory of the woodshop supplies and tools is something I would like.

Also, to be completely transparent, when I glanced through the locked cabinet yesterday, the only tools that were in there were replacement blades for the table saws. That said, I did not do a deep dive into the mounds of sandpaper and saw blades. It’s entirely possible that some of the tools are hidden in the back of the cabinet. I will do a more thorough look through next time I’m in.

2 Likes

There used to be a Tormek grinder and CBN/Diamond grinding wheels (for the turning tools).

2 Likes

The CBN wheels are put away with the lathe tools. They are not permanently out right now due to cost/ lack of training. I think we could approach a solution for placing these out permanently if we implemented a quick online training with RFID lockout similar to machine shop’s grinding wheels.

I don’t know about the Tormek, but I believe I saw it on the bench in the annex next to the stones. I’ll look when I’m back in.

Any other tools to look for?

1 Like

That doesn’t really seem fair assuming they were bought with maker space funds, how about just put them in the unlocked cabinet then so the woodshop community can use them, but I guess that just something I’ll have to deal with, and just like everything else…bandsaw blades, saw blades, chisels, drum sandpaper, etc I’ll just buy my own because the heavy use seen is not match with amount of replacement! All the consumables in the woodshop see 15-20 times more use than an average tool, yet there’s a void in the mentality of heavy use=more frequent replacement! Instead the consumable are expected to last as long as they would under normal conditions which is a void of logic but that’s not something I can control or want to try and change anyone’s thinking!

There should be Japanese hand saws and replacement blades, a set of bit to make inset cabinet doors, several nice hand planes, a couple chisels, a re saw king which probably isn’t in the cabinet but hopefully a 200-300$ 108” bandaw blade didn’t just walk out the door unnoticed, a couple other router bits that are specific purpose bits,

1 Like

Thanks, when I read this:

I wondered what else was in there. Raised panel router bits are frighteningly dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing, so I would completely understand them being locked up, but I’ve seen Swiss Made carving gouges and nice looking chisels laying around that have been sorely abused, and it makes me cringe to think of how much money was wasted on them to have them end up in that state.

Personally speaking, I can’t think of any reason why DMS should be buying expensive hand tools or specialty tools that only a very few are qualified or deserving to use. Anything above contractor grade stuff should be supplied by the individual–especially in light of how the typical tool is treated in the woodshop.

My two cents.

4 Likes

I agree. Perhaps they should not have been purchased at all. Or perhaps they were purchased at a different time when more fine woodworking occurred in the space. Etc. possibilities can be debated endlessly.

More to the point, it is also not appropriate to place expensive tools into the hands of makers who don’t know how to use them and will (albeit without malice), damage or destroy them (or hurt themselves). That would a lapse in responsibility in leadership.

As you stated, a training and checkout process for these would be ideal.

If you would like to work to set that process and system up, please let me know.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll look for these also next time I’m in.

1 Like

Chris, my observation would be that many/most people cant seem to be bothered with RETURNING tools to their rightful storage location(s). Which gives the tools:
(1) time to grow legs and walk away,
(2) provides opportunity for unskilled/unknowledgeable persons to misuse and/or break the finer tools (Witness the genius who utilized Machine Shop micrometers as wood clamps)
(3). Or other creative ways to abuse the inventory.

Figure out a way to ensure that an inventory of better tools can be Consistently accounted for and treated properly before crying “foul” on systems in place.

Edit: clarify prelude to three bullet points

3 Likes

Regarding maintenance:

We do not have the volunteer manpower to replace sanding belts and bandsaws every day. Nor the budget. Nor should we need to.

Part of this issue is training. Part of it is caring. Part of it is maintenance. This speaks to broader discussions that need to happen on the committee level, and I hope to improve upon over the next year.

If you want the best possible experience, the answer will probably always be, bring your own consumables into the shop. If you feel that the space should provide you with fresh sand paper on every tool every time you visit, you’re sorely misunderstanding the idea of a community shop.

If you’re going to bring your own supplies in, please also make sure you’re authorized to make belt / blade changes, as improperly making maintenance can easily lead to dangerous tool conditions for the user or tool itself.

1 Like

I think you’re probably right, contractor grade supplies for most tools is probably the target.

In the land of dreams and I think it would be cool to look at having a cabinet with rfid doors where nicer tools could be stored and small training sessions would allow more skilled members to access more capable tools. Maybe one day :grinning:

1 Like

Wait, so there currently isn’t a way to sharpen the lathe tools? That will severely hinder my ability to turn :sweat:

1 Like

There are other grinder wheels that are currently out. I do not know their formulation, but my understanding is they are less delicate / expensive than the CBN wheels.

1 Like

Easy the previous system of when someone was deemed of a skill level worthy they were given the code to access the tools! It worked pretty darn well! So that didn’t take long to figure out