My thoughts on the horde of quality tools

I have no say in the requirements, but I do know there were a lot of damaged Festool sanders that resulted from people using them with just velcro without attaching any sandpaper. That would indicate a need for training or maybe signage or something.

Japanese blades, router bits present.

Bandsaw blade, chisels, and hand planes missing. I believe however that the chisels and planes belonged to members and went home.

Tormek in miter station.

Looks like the only thing that’s unaccounted for is the blade. Expensive consumable to be sure.

3 Likes

My own issue is obtaining the knowledge and skill to use nice tools, if there are never any classes on the nice tools. For example, let’s take the scroll saw. I’ve been wanting to learn how to use it so I can make a scroll saw basket, but I’ve been a member for about a year now and I don’t think (please correct me if I’m wrong here) I’ve ever seen a class on it, making it inaccessible to me. So I guess how do I hone my skills if I don’t even have access to whatever tool in the first place? A great example is the woodcarving classes, which do allow you to use nice tools but under the watchful eye of an instructor so you can learn without fear of unintentionally breaking a tool. It’s my worst fear that I’ll unintentionally damage something, which is why I love seeing classes that specialize in a specific tool/skill so I feel confident I won’t break a tool/machine

5 Likes

Your point in general is a good one, but specifically re: scroll saw, it does not require training. I highly recommend finding the manuals online and checking it out, then looking on YouTube for instructional and skills/techniques videos, and then just going in and using it. It is not an overly complicated or dangerous tool which is probably why it didn’t get assigned a “mandatory training” category).

3 Likes

Should clarify, I don’t think it has specific training but I believe you need the initial woodshop classes.

1 Like

2 Likes

Another avenue you might have considered was asking on Talk for someone to show you how to use it. I am sure someone in wood shop would have been happy to show it to you. Unfortunately in life the squeaky wheel gets the attention.

This sounds like a really fun project! I’d be interested in collaborating on this. Such a system would solve similar issues across the entire 'Space and remove many barriers to having nice things.

I bet this has been investigated, discussed, and probably even prototyped before in greater detail than I’m aware, so I’d definitely prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any existing DIY, RFID-based checkout locker projects at the 'Space? I vaguely recall @themitch22 and @denzuko working on a similar system for the 3D fab exotics cabinet back in the day. I found one interesting thread here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/rfid-locking-cabinet-locker/31294

2. There are many turn-key solutions available. Is anyone aware of existing or dead projects to evaluate these for our use? For example: https://www.autocrib.com/products/autolocker-fx
    An interesting thread here: Digital Media needs your help!

3 Likes

existing DIY, RFID-based checkout locker projects at the ‘Space’

At present? not that I’m aware of but we do have two wiki pages that have playbooks to build that same project.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/RFID_Storage_Cabinet
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/RFID_Interlock

1 Like

i have been a member for almost 4 years, and the scroll saw has only ever been working (to my knowledge) for about a week in total

2 Likes

Good info! Thanks!

It’s just such a finagly machine to use. I just use the lasers for all my scroll needs now a days. Replacing blades on the scroll saw is just not worth it.

Awesome!

Metal shop piloted the same system I described with their grinders. @hon1nbo led that implementation and is working with machine shop currently to apply it to some of their tools.

I’d like to talk with the committee about applying this system to many of our tools in the shop. If that passes thru the committee, I could absolutely use your help implementing it!

The saw works, the blade is just easily broken.

@Popcorn at the risk of repeating others, feel free to watch a video or three on YouTube and come in and use the saw without any further training. You will almost definitely want to bring in your own blades, but if you let me know before hand when you’re going to use it, I will purchase some with committee money and place them out.

All of that said, I believe the machine is currently in storage but if someone is going to use it I will happily bring it back over.

2 Likes

Good luck, it has been the same for me and many others.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan!

@hon1nbo would you happen to have a write-up or docs for the RFID tool checkout cabinet build metal shop is using for the grinders?

The grinders in metal just use a self-study quiz that gives you the lock code.

You mean the system that automotive and Machine shop use? (lift and shark lathe currently as more get rolled out)

It’s code is here: https://github.com/Dallas-Makerspace/RFID-KeyMaster

The system uses a rPi, a PiFace, contactor of appropriate size, and some other bits. The machine shop has the wiring documentation currently written (it needs to be transferred to digital).

For cabinet usage something simpler can probably be used, since it doesn’t need to drive a contactor, have current sensing requirements, and durability in the same way heavy equipment drivers do.

2 Likes

Good info. Thanks!

Wood shop is a great place with in Dallas maker space. However it is not come and due as you please and destroy our expensive tools. Invest in wood shop with time, ideas, and, kindness to fellow makers.
If you wish to be so demanding and in charge go build your own.

4 Likes

Who will do the authorization? Will you volunteer to be that person. As well as keep track of the tools and make sure unauthorized members don’t use them.

2 Likes