Multicam / Woodshop CNC Future

There have been a variety of issues surrounding the multicam. This thread is an attempt to create a strategy to address these issues.

First a big thank you to all the members who have been working to keep the machine maintained and stable over the last year.

These issues are bigger than I alone am capable of dealing with, so I’m proposing a way forward that requires volunteers and help. This is open to all interested members, not just experienced multicam power users.

First- Let’s set a date to collate this strategy into an action plan. If you want to be involved in any of the following and would show up to a meeting, how does 1/16/21 work for you?

The following are the Core issues i’ve identified:

• Ongoing basic maintenance (grease the machine, deep clean the ways, etc…)
  • Ongoing upkeep (Tell me when to order bits, paper, etc.)
  • Setting a standard for acceptable use
  • Teaching new members/machine users
  • Teaching the teachers

To solve the top 3 issues, I think we need 2-3 people who “own” the machine. They will set the standards, tell me what support they need, and keep the machine in working order (either as a team or by setting up community work days to service the machine, or both.)

To solve the bottom 2 issues, I think we need to have some of the current power users put their heads together and put on a train-the-trainers event. Trainers could be new members who are not currently users or current users/ power members.

Here’s what I propose:

• I’m asking for 3-4 volunteers to step up as owners of the machine for 1 year, 2021.
  • In addition, we need 6-8 volunteers to step up as teachers for 2021.

Both commitments are a 1-2 evening/ month commitment:

• Set a rotation with the other owners so the machine gets maintained almost weekly, but each owner only has to come in 1x / month. Owners will also keep the woodshop chair and other owners in a constant communication loop via email or talk.
  • Teachers are committing to teach 1 checkout session of 3-5 students each month (translating into 6-8 classes each month.) Teachers will also have to pre-check the files students send in. The initial class/ powerpoint will be moved to a moodle video removing that responsibility from the teachers.

Owners can certainly also be teachers (and vice-versa) but I want to make sure that we don’t overtax volunteers and that we ‘spread the knowledge around’ and prevent the current situation from happening again.

Committing to teach this class also does not preclude you from teaching woodshop basics or any other classes. The multicam class will not be an honorarium class, but instead members will be expected to pay a fee to reserve a checkout time-slot, the fee will be split between teachers and the woodshop for the maintenance of the machine. Because of this, teaching the multicam will not count against your monthly honorarium class limit. This non-refundable fee also encourages students to show up for their reserved time slot as we have had persistent issues with students no-showing prior to a previous teacher implementing this fee.

If you’re interested in being an owner or teacher: please post here and lets get together and make 2021 a better year to CNC.

Open Slots:
Owner- Matt R. @mdredmond
Owner- Brian @Brian
Owner- Jennifer M. @jmeinel
Owner- Edward A. @Nomad

Possible owner or teacher: @SWA and @Sam_Violett

Teacher- Ryan D. @indytruks138
Teacher- Doug C. @dougbcave
Teacher- HB @got_tools
Teacher-
Teacher- Mitch C. @themitch22
Teacher- Patrick C. @trapper13
Teacher-

The following people have stated interest in teaching / maintaining the machine so I’m tagging them so they see this:
@mdredmond @indytruks138 @Evan_Lott @Brian @rlisbona @dougbcave @themitch22 @fedakkee @kaylanbetten @got_tools @SWA @bertberaht

Please do not post in this thread asking to get trained or when the next training is, as that will only muddy the conversation. I’m trying to get training happening so that I can answer that question.

Thanks!

13 Likes

I will commit to teaching 1 night a month.

4 Likes

I would like either owner or teacher.

2 Likes

Ongoing Basic Maintenance- I am fairly certain Multicam offered a automatic grease system for the machine would that help?
Ongoing Upkeep - did you have a chance to talk to the guys at fastenall? as a DIY alternative Amazon just came out with a new scale product to automatically measure and notify of consumption of consumables. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW86XWG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_dlC_Zb31FbHHSWX6P
I could research either and see if it’s viable if you would like but I will not be able to attend in person as I am staying in isolation.

3 Likes

Great ideas. Both things that I would leave to the owners to make decisions on. I’m going to do my best to let the owners manage the machine and not make decisions like this for them.

1 Like

I’ll put you as both for now and depending on interest and how many volunteers we have we can split it later?

1 Like

No problem. I am retired so I have the time even during the mornings if that would help so it is in slow use time

2 Likes

We need cotton rags and, optionally, nitrile gloves for greasing the lead screw.

I left this for the lead screw. It seems to be working extremely well. It’s about 80% full.

I left this for the linear bearings (zerks). I have no idea if it works well or not. The manufacturer has stated, in writing, that it is as good or better than the lithium grease recommended by MultiCam. I have no idea how much is left but it has to be most.

I have a simple maintenance suggestion for the lead screw. MultiCam recommends “daily” greasing. My suggestion is that every third use the person is expected to grease the lead screw. The only exception is if the person just before did it. Or, if it squeaks in which case it should be lubricated immediately.

2 Likes

I’m Willing to teach

2 Likes

Thanks Brian. Are you willing to be one of the owners or at least help put together the train the trainers class? We could certainly use your wisdom!

Yes to both.

1 Like

Noodling on it, but based upon the other members that step up. Need to be more than two experienced members deep on the maintenance side in order to be successful. Switching out the substrate is a beating. We have a new substrate management solution in mind for consideration. At least a couple of the people you reached out to, although excellent choices aren’t in the position to be involved due to various reasons including COVID. Training needs to be tightened up if Chris @cghaly isn’t able to provide training at this time (gold standard).
Brian @Brian and I have discussed some basic issues that if addressed would be helpful. As for as myself, owner and trainer if anything. I have already been pre-testing people, so why not do it for real:)

2 Likes

I can do at least 1 class a month. Does this include the Vcarve class and 3-5 person test out sessions?

1 Like

The goal is to move the “classroom” portion entirely online. That way Teachers will check Vcarve files and run check-out sessions 1x / month.

2 Likes

I can commit to help taking ownership of maintenance - this would allow me to become more familiar with the proper servicing of the CNC.

2 Likes

i could be a teacher

2 Likes

Ian, I am not proficient enough yet on operating the machine to offer to teach, but with a KT session I would be able to help “own” the basic maintenance. Feel free to loop me in if you still have open owner slots as I’ve been looking for ways to get back involved after a hiatus.

Thanks,
Rich

1 Like

Hmm this makes me wonder if we should differentiate owners and a maintenance team.

The initial goal of the “owner” role was to be the machine expert. They set the standards for teachers, decide on large changes to the machine etc…

On the flip side, people like yourself and @Nomad are interested in learning how to maintain the machine, but it sounds like you’re not comfortable setting standards of use for the machine yet?

How about this: If there are 4 owners, at least two of which are required to be experienced experts, and the other 2 of which could be inexperienced. This would be an opportunity to teach and involve more people.

Alternatively we could have a separate owner and maintenance role but I feel like that’s getting too complex.

@IanLee I’m open to your either of your options. My goal is to support MS and, when possible, help the board navigate challenges. I’d be open to shadow maintenance and repairs If this helped.

1 Like

are we teaching the teachers a set class so everyone is on the same page

1 Like