Amazon Stock Scales

Continuing the discussion from Multicam / Woodshop CNC Future:

Robert shared Amazon’s new re-order scale system. I’ve been in auto a number of times to find that when I got there the oil absorbant bin was empty (or full of trash, but that’s another story for which I’m still hoping a volunteer will help resolve ITT: TKTK_thread_link )

So I can think of a number of use cases across committees for this:

Automotive

Maintaining Cleanup Litter / Absorbant

The Large model scale is rated for 200 pounds. We could mill out of some wood an adapter plate between the bin wheel plate and the scale to make it work. IIRC we haven’t put more than 100 pounds of kitty litter in that bin at any given time.

Metal Shop

Flap disks and the like. This would require making a bin for them, but that’s doable. As a committee we’d want to evaluate this first though after seeing what kind of logging capabilities the unit has to the account / granular level of control. Whilst it’s not likely for someone to walk off with kitty littler not being used on the spot like in auto, it’s more common that someone brings a grinder into the room and the metal shop flap disks leave with it. Usually that just means snagging it back from a logistics grinder but we’d want to tally out numbers first.

3d Fab

Filament and Resin.

Creative Arts

Dye sub paper and misc supplies. Downside to this is I know some of the better dye sub providers aren’t amazon and the material choices may actually be more important than the ease of operations. whereas things like the auto kitty litter is the same no matter where you get it.

Overall

I think the biggest thing I like about this is that someone on the amazon account can keep tabs on current inventory a bit better. This, in theory at least, could allow for better accountability as right now we only know about things like filament or resin being low when someone physically checks the cabinet or camera footage to find when it was used.

Thoughts? For @treasurer if we haven’t already the amazon account can be setup with order approvals etc.

Can speak on Amazon, DMS has an account that can be setup with sub accounts. I used to do it with procurement officers they would put it in there cart and buy it from their it would go to me for approval. Worked like a champ for some people that were not great at doing the receipt reporting.