MultiCam running unattended

The multicam is running completely unattended! If I recall, that is absolutely prohibited.

@Team_Woodshop

3 Likes

Yes, some one needs to pause it immediately. This is a huge risk and whoever is running the job should have their access revoked until retaking the class.

6 Likes

@John_Marlow is it actually running a job or just warming up? I realized it may just be warming up which is ok unattended.

1 Like

Looking at the “static” camera page (https://dallasmakerspace.org/cgi-bin2/cam?cam=multicam), which updates every few minutes (2? I can’t remember) it has definitely moved along the X axis (length of the table) since this thread was started.

Hard to get a good feel from what is actually going on from that URL, but obviously someone with full camera access could take a look.

1 Like

Why would that matter?

I don’t think we REQUIRE people to be around for spindle warm-up in particular (which is 18 minutes? It’s been a while). I think we just ask they move it to the center of the table to keep it as much out of reach as possible.

2 Likes

@Kentamanos is right, you can leave the machine warming up as it is not moving or cutting material.

It was cutting.

3 Likes

Then I say @Team_Woodshop we need to determine the user and an appropriate punishment. This is far too dangerous for a slap on the wrist.

3 Likes

Yeah, that machine does a great job pausing and resuming, so even a bathroom break (possibly using a note) is really no excuse.

2 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t even done the multicam class and I know leaving it while cutting is akin to leaving a laser unattended. Person in question definitely needs at least a ban from it for awhile, @indytruks138 I’d agree more on them having to retake the class if it wasn’t a $50 one. I’m curious how @Team_Machine_Shop handles things like with the HAAS, it’s a lot simpler for laser to make a member retake their class. I do understand how much damage could have been caused by this so I’m all for a retaking the class option if there has to be one.

3 Likes

I agree the cost sucks, but in my opinion this user does not know how to safely operate the machine, and a two week timeout or coming to a cleaning day doesn’t reinforce that. I’d say only retaking the class would reinforce that. We don’t charge a per usage fee like laser so the class has to cost money for consumables and upkeep.

2 Likes

I can only attest to it running unattended for ten minutes. I have no idea for how long it was actually running.

@Mrksls2 investigated and knows who it was. He spoke with the person, who defended his right to walk away from it and leave it running.

I’ll leave it up to the Woodshop committee to determine how to deal with it. I only wanted to report it.

Ahhh - but on a related note - Friday a.m. I noticed that the Multicam dust bag was full. I mean - completely full. I mean - stuffed to bursting. I pointed it out to the gentleman who was about to run a job, and he very graciously emptied the bag. The bag was so full it did burst while he was trying to empty it.

As a constructive suggestion, is there any way to put a sensor or something on there to prevent it from getting more than 3/4 full? I wonder if it’s possible to put a weight sensor under the bag and have that trigger a shutdown or something.

3 Likes

Well the usual punishment was to emergency stop the router, this would screw up your home and basically ruin your work.

But also teach you never to leave a cutting router unattended.

You can leave it unattended during warm-up, as stated you can easily pause the job go pee and come back and start where you left off.

2 Likes

for safety reasons it is not allowed. Like the multicam - the haas can usually be paused (feed hold) or can be optionally stopped at a tool change. Leaving it running can cause 10s of thousands of dollars in damage if the spindle is crashed. Penalty can include lost of retaking the class to banishment from the haas.

yes, this!

I’ve had people do this with the PlasmaCAM, and it’s an instant revocation of usage rights until the class is retaken. If I ever personally see it whilst I am present in the the space I will hit the red button twice, which cancels the cut entirely (press once to pause, so really no excuse for a user to walk out of arms reach).

1 Like

I have addressed the problem directly, as it was brought to me directly this morning. In the future, it is perfectly acceptable to hit the emergency stop if the machine is left unattended. This will at the very least erase their home and bring their attention to the problem. Spindle warm up is the exception. The machine takes about 15 minutes to warm up, and a bit isn’t installed at that time, making the warmup the only time that the multicam can be left unattended while running.

3 Likes

Can we ask what repercussions the user will face?

Page 59 of the MultiCam® Router User Manual in the first paragraph of the Spindle Warmup section…

Operators should insert a tool into the spindle prior to warmup.

2 Likes