MultiCam running unattended

Brian is right here. This is why we stopped using the automatic prompt for warmup when the pendant powers up. We are supposed to load an endmill etc., jog manually, and then run warmup. It’s possible the cheat sheets never got updated etc.

1 Like

I believe the laminated cheat sheet in the cabinet has the correct instructions. If I can remember I will check the next time I’m there.

Spindle Test image followed by Enter image runs the warmup on demand.

2 Likes

Not arguing that the multicam manual states this, but curious as to why this is necessary?

It wasn’t taught that way when I took one of the very first classes way back when and searching online most other CNC’s don’t say that its necessary either (some state to insert a bit after initial warm up).

Just wondering what’s the benefit of inserting a bit for warm up.

Just a wild-ass guess but having a mass on there may change the frequency and damping of oscillatory behavior. Maybe just a precaution, maybe a tip from a bad experience.

2 Likes

Consider this… you might have an empty collet and without something to cinch it up tight, it may loosen and drop out if it is run backwards… OR… since you are presumably going to be running it with a bit… Might as well warm up with a bit installed. It seems a bit nit picky… but leaving a situation open ended violates CYA protocols.

My theory: The goal is to get the shaft and bearings to their operating temperature. With or without a tool, the warmup procedure will accomplish that goal. However, if the tool is not first installed it will be at room temperature when it is installed and conduct some heat away from the bottom bearing. This leaves the bottom bearing below the target temperature and cooler than the top bearing.

That would explain why the air cooled MultiCam spindle, which runs fairly warm, needs to have a tool installed and for a liquid cooled Haas or Tormach it makes no difference.

Note: In their written documentation, Haas recommends warmup with a tool. Their video shows without.

That one is definitely a no-no. Don’t do that.

That will seem to indicate a tool change will be a problem unless you warm it up again after every tool change.

1 Like

Might.

But, putting a load on it warms the entire motor and back plate. Lots more total energy to go around.

indytruks138
1d
Can we ask what repercussions the user will face

I counseled the member on the safety violation and informed him that if it happened again that everyone now knows to hit the emergency stop in this situation, which could cause them to ruin their workpiece, and that thay may have to retake some classes.
If I can talk to a member and solve them problem, I will always try and do that before punishing them.

11 Likes

A cleaning day should not be used as punishment if you want more people to volunteer to help clean/service the machines.

2 Likes

To drive the point home, I would also require the $50 class fee and re-test required to be paid again.

1 Like

That’s a good thought but the chair of woodshop has handled this with the user I am not for public persecution of a maker. I am not saying that’s what your advocating I’m saying we need to trust are elected chairs.

5 Likes

Agree completely.

1 Like

Most likely require a bit during warmup for safety reasons. Collet not secure until tool inserted and tightened.