Multicam CNC Machine Woodshop

Design:

Result:

10 Likes

I would like to recertify in the next couple of months. I have done 3-4 projects on the Multicam.

Bert!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! You rock!!!

You are welcome little bean! You can vary the border offset and V bit angle to get more/less height as needed.

2 Likes

Here is a 5" x 10" oval with corner cut outs. Same tooling as Bert’s - 0.75" dia 90 degree V-bit.

Not sure dimensions are correct, but can easily edit. Forms are 3/4" thick. DXF File is attached:
PotteryPlaque - Body1.zip (1.4 KB)

5 Likes

@SWA I would like to get myself in line for Multicam recertification as well, if possible. Not a huge rush for me since I’ll be out of the country almost all of May and will spend the next few weeks super busy (getting married is a crazy time).

Please let me know if there’s anything else you need from me!

1 Like

When you’re ready for the ‘fresh’ guinea pigs, please count me in (I joined DMS after the multicam was out of commission, so I haven’t taken the old cert :frowning: ).

2 Likes

Vcarve file ready. Just let me know when a good time to load this plywood sheet up and meet you at space.

Hi, I am new to the Makerspace but I have used CNC routers and I teach how to use them - I teach Sculpture at UNT. I am open to teaching classes on the Multicam once I am qualified and given access. How do I sign up for the next available class?

Are wanting to just run the job or recertification for full access? Running jobs for existing certified users takes precedence over recertification. If you are CAMed up and ready to go, we can run it Monday - Wednesday about anytime before 7PM. Just let us know.

The existing backlog of members has to be addressed prior to new members being onboarded. Look me up in the shop this week, if you are going to be up there. Feel free to PM me with times that might work.

Are you an existing certified member? If you will be willing(and capable) to immediately create & run those five jobs that @coffeebean wants for her committee, then let’s move you up. Keep in mind that you might need to create(cut and glue-up) the blanks. It would be a nice bonus if you allowed @coffeebean and crew watch the process so they won’t be hostage to anyone in the future.

I expect we might need to order the proper bit for the job. Not sure who would own it, although it might be smart for clay folks? to hold on to it. We can spec it and get with @artg_dms to order it and the material needed. We will address getting the proper material to the space.

If this doesn’t fit your scenario then someone else can step up for the same offer.

@coffeebean, are you prepared to move forward this week?

1 Like

(For anyone that doesn’t have many hours of machining time) The Multicam is almost in the same league as the Haas and the new CNC metal lathe. It is not just another sexy looking wood cutting gadget in the wood shop. After the move it will have its very own room and badge in.

For all you budding machine operators out there, there is a proven path to follow.

1. Take the baby Shapeoko class and make some things. It runs really slow and you can usually catch your mistakes before any damage is done.

2. Then take the plastics CNC course. Learn how to CAD, CAM, and use a touch-off block.

3. Begin learning Vcarve if you aren’t proficient with a real CAD package.

4. Review how the Vcarve CAM works and study the Amana CNC bit website for speeds and feeds. It is able to show a cutting preview along with a completed image of the workflow.

Please don’t try to start learning CNC with the Multicam industrial machine. It is absolutely unforgiving and costly when mistakes occur. Without a question, you will make a lot of mistakes learning.

Many of the past failures were because people knew how to push buttons, but really didn’t know why they were pushing them. Since you will be doing the designing(CAD), CAM, and operating the machine, you a required to actually understand the complete process. You will make mistakes when learning. It is just smart to learn a much smaller machine with fractional horse power router, a $30 bed that you can replace in a few hours, than a giant powerful machine by comparison.

3 Likes

Yes, I am an existing certified member. I am willing and capable to create and run the five jobs @coffeebean wants.
Whiteside Machine Company makes a 3/4" 90-degree v-bit. Here is a link. These are on Amazon (link) for $49.26.
The material appears to be MDF. I assume they are coated with shellac afterwards to prevent water or clay moisture causing them to expand. Any other recommendations? I can purchase some 3/4" MDF from Central Hardwoods and bring it over in my truck if that helps.
@coffeebean, do you want one of each of the pottery forms from the image provided (link)?
Anyone who is interested can attend and I will provide all files (Fusion 360, STEP, DXF, VCarve, and GCODE) for future use.

2 Likes

Awesome. @coffeebean should get a purchase okay and i expect @artg_dms can place and pay for the order from central. You can pick it afterwards.

1 Like

Nice!!! Thanks so much for more options!!!

I can…what do i need to prep for it?

@Hanna_Kessler brought up a salient point. Is mdf the proper material. How are these molds used? What is the workflow and release agents required?

1 Like

I do not think there is a coating on them though

They are used in handbuilding. Laying rolled out clay on them and then pressing it into foam…you would have to see it really. But again, i do not think they are coated. We use mdf and clay does not stick to it.