Multicam CNC Machine Woodshop

Hey, was just wondering what the status is on the multicam cnc machine in the woodshop? Do we need to get our own spoil board now?

Yes. Spoilboards aren’t going to be provided. Too much damage.

The multicam class has been redesigned and retooled with the recent changes to the machine spoilboard. The class is currently being beta tested with a few people to make sure it works. When the new training is available it will have to be taken before you can use the machine.

7 Likes

Can you let us know when we can recert? I paid and passed the previous version with Mr. Ghaly. I’m needing to finish up a few presents for kids.

1 Like

The line starts behind me LOL.
Lots of us that were already certified are also waiting. But that’s what happens when people keep tearing up the machines.

1 Like

Anyone ready to move forward with recertifying on the Muticam please let us know. This is currently only for members who have been certified in the past.

1 Like

Please set me up to take the online class.
~Doug

How long ago did you test out? How much experience using the machine do you have.

@SWA,

Your gonna get a flood of responses for this, I think. Given your follow-up questions to the first responder (“how long ago…”, etc.), are you planning to ask everyone who responds to this? Are you going to track it? I guess what I am getting at is if you are not just going to post re-cert classes on the event calendar and require folks already be certified to be able to sign up (no problem there as far as I can see…), then you will probably need some more structured way to track interest/requestes and a queue.

BTW, as you already know, I am ready, willing, & able to be recertified as well, so please add me. I tested out (was originally certified) ~6 years ago, I use the Multicam a couple of times a year, and I like long walks on the beach at sunset.

7 Likes

I have not gone through the online material yet. Mitch and Brian gave me some one-on-one instruction, and Mitch granted me access just before the overhaul. That’s the main reason I haven’t logged any additional time on the machine beyond the few hours I had with those two.

Ready to recertify and get whatever bits I need.

I would like to start back up!! Is there an online test now???

I have my own bits and spoilboard. Donated some LDF to Makerspace. Also completed steps outlined below:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/MultiCam_2.0_Test_for_Authorized_users_prior_to_July_2021

I have additional projects for inlays in end-grain cutting boards. Can we please schedule a class to get re-certified?

Good grief! Does six years ago even count:)?

Do you think I should stand up a SQL server instance to track everything? I’m partial to PostgreSQL, myself.

I’m just trying to get a bead on currency and actual experience. It might make sense to bundle people into cohorts based on competency and confidence.

Bottom line is this project was undertaken to create a better platform that would allow everyone that has a desire to become successful.

mblatz DMS Member
April 5

@SWA,

Your gonna get a flood of responses for this, I think. Given your follow-up questions to the first responder (“how long ago…”, etc.), are you planning to ask everyone who responds to this? Are you going to track it? I guess what I am getting at is if you are not just going to post re-cert classes on the event calendar and require folks already be certified to be able to sign up (no problem there as far as I can see…), then you will probably need some more structured way to track interest/requestes and a queue.

BTW, as you already know, I am ready, willing, & able to be recertified as well, so please add me. I tested out (was originally certified) ~6 years ago, I use the Multicam a couple of times a year, and I like long walks on the beach at sunset.

No online test. It is actually more involved than before, but easier to be successful. We will help you with all the resources necessary for you to be successful.

We(hopefully including you) are going to be providing blanks for a joint project between PR, CA and Multicam users. Hopefully this will allow DMS to market to new members in a unique way. Contact @Julie-Harris for more information.

A charitable project creating Teddy Bear chairs for the Fisher House is being headed up by @pjolone1.

We envision the Multicam being used for the benefit of other non-profits in the area by providing items that can be used for fund raising. We want our members to manage these projects thereby helping other groups reach their goals.

2 Likes

There isn’t an online class. There is a machine side class going over the new design, capabilities, and liabilities if you don’t follow the rules. Then there is a practical test that shows proficiency in CAD CAM, and machine operation.

Sounds much worse that it is. If you really desire to learn the machine, we will help you get to the finish line. We are not continuing the "Give us your money and sink or swim system".

Have fun, you got this.

You present as an advanced user who is current. I expect we can get you on boarded over the next few days.

Okay, JJ. We will get you thorough as quickly as you can run the “Multicam gauntlet” :grinning: Many of us are looking forward to the set of shelves you are making as a gift. Please bone up on the new Vcarve software if you are a bit rusty.

Hey there. As I told you @nicksilva Saturday, just say when and it will be done.

Note: Teachers and other significant contributors(committee chairs, BoD, Officers) to DMS will always get preferential treatment. Give back to DMS and you shall receive.

1 Like

I hope I haven’t forgot anyone. We will pick this back up tomorrow.