Multi Cam training class

Yes. One user, in an innocent mistake that probably wasn’t covered in any detail in the class, set fire to the Multicam. The vacuum hold-down turned small embers into a blast furnace that could have taken out the entire machine, if not the entire place. If that had happened unattended we’d have been finished.

I’m also very interested in the class. And wouldn’t mind paying the fee.

In addition, I’d be willing to sometimes help/teach 1:1, but not until I’ve had a little bit of time under my belt. I’m not looking per se to be an instructor; but I do often see people take a class and then use tools improperly.

Fortunately, I have projects sitting in my garage this moment and a bit of time to spare.

COMPLETELY SEPARATE:
I went to a Makerspace out of town last year and the volunteers there had name tags that said “I’m an expert at… ask me if you are not sure”.
This was awesome, and avoided me from using tools improperly and also legitimized these folks when they pointed out a mistake - like forgetting to clean my area before and after using it. It was completely volunteer; but so amazing. They also were careful not to reprimand, but lead/remind/teach gently (something that I read a lot on talk that seems to go amiss - and have witnessed a few times)

Maybe I’ll post this one separate. Curious what people think.

6 Likes

I’ve suggested name tags for “experts” but members seem to be resistant to it. I think it’s probably a bit of volunteer fatigue: when the same members seem to always be the ones stepping up, they don’t want to be bothered when they’re here doing their own projects.

Re: Honorarium- During the office hours I made some suggestions to the board for some Honorarium rule edits during COVID. They said they would look at those and try to put out an opinion in the Next few weeks.

The problem is that any time any changes are made to honorarium it turns into a big mess because everyone has an opinion and people feel slighted by the changes. Thus any change has to be well thought out and described and defensible.

5 Likes

Instructor tags have been done:

Shirts have been done:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/chairs-and-vices-now-have-shirts/44634

No idea how happy we’ve been with that, or if those experiences could be built upon…

1 Like

I am looking for training and then certification on the CNC machine soon also. So hopefully a class or online class will open up and yes, definitely willing to pay for that.

Wish about 100 times I’d seen someone with a name tag.

2 Likes

My name tag usually stays stuck to the cabinets in Ceramic…

1 Like

Here is my name tag. I dont really wear it because so many people know me.

8 Likes

The subject of honoraria was discussed in the office hours meeting prior to the board’s meeting. No conclusions were reached.

2 Likes

@IanLee - I hope this is the correct Ian…
below is the link to the training classes. Bottom right class maybe the one you want…

https://store-ncosqghrfc.mybigcommerce.com/training-1/?_ga=2.96032159.2097495692.1602909273-2039137648.1602909273

Multicam’s training is way more advanced than the DMS training, and they don’t use Vcarve in the training. Its very good though if you want to learn some more advance CNC (specifically with multicam machines)