Mouser Donation 2018

Pitch shifting timpani drum roll accompanied w/ rolling snare drum intro…rim shot…

Mouser has generously stepped up and donated the following gear to the ELab for 2018.

1. FLIR-E4-WIFI thermal imager.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FLIR-Systems/FLIR-E4-WiFi?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsODaMWbDSzPXIMfgxv%2FoyK8oFlufDxua4%3D

I marked the charger - just in case someone forgets to keep it in the case w/ the imager.
Pict on right is corner of the ELab. Taking a pict of the imager taking a pict was interesting.

1. FLUKE-572-2 ir thermometer
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fluke/FLUKE-572-2?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduhRgUhzS4OqoPgUJw7cn%2bnUk05tu7qegqYbzoRSB1w8Qw%3D%3D

1. Fluke T6-1000 meter
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fluke/T6-1000?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs4AFwHyzhTm1O2CWbDYOXfq8mUBqKhhZ4%3D

Got this to be a complement to our Fluke clamp meter (an earlier Mouser donation)

1. Fluke 80K-40 high voltage probe
    ttps://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fluke/80K-40?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbPwtnQMMkA9sU3D3eKt1NrYIFG7JZVYM%3d

This replaces the hi v probe Walter donated that was stolen. (see tool wiki) I’ve been asked if the probe could be used w/ Oscope. The answer is yes. You will need how, where and what things are grounded. Not sure? Then don’t! ASK!

1. Metcal PCT-103-11 preheat wrkstn
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Metcal/PCT-103-11?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiSOaD4GSsJM1MYgXnnEfTqfFXQ%2F9zI6t4%3D

1. Digilent analog dscvry 2 (7x)
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Digilent/410-321?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvI6uSdB0AenUEnMWd4BGAik5IuREBNVbQ%3D

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/start
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/waveforms/waveforms-sdk/reference-manual

Digilent is part of National Instruments - the LabView folks. Very versatile module for learning/teaching. Manual and sftwr are available for dwnldng. A short list of some of the tutorials:
Using the Logic Analyzer
Using the Pattern Generator
Using the Protocol Analyzer
Using the Spectrum Analyzer

Note: Some/most of the IO on the module are 3.3v. Read the manual / tutorial and pay attention! Do not burn up the new gear!

Thank You Mouser!

Tool Wiki will be updated soon.

19 Likes

This model can be “unlocked” into an E8 with higher resolutions.

They should have DMS engraved into them so if stolen we can prove ownership - as well as photos of data plate and S/N kept on file.

4 Likes

In the works.
Tool Wiki will have all the above info - picts, links,etc.
And Serial no.

1 Like

As long as the fault can be proved to be a hardware issue, changing the software on the device doesn’t by law void the warranty.

With that said, DMS as an entity, shouldn’t be replacing the firmware on the device from a manageability standpoint. Something like that would need someone in the know to keep up with firmware updates in a way that wouldn’t brick the device, and in a volunteer environment such a person couldn’t be guaranteed.

I’m not in any way recommending that we modify the device, just that we are surrounded by makers and someone might come along an “help” the device. Since it’s possible, we should probably have the chair make a solid rule about whether the device should be “upgraded” or no.

I personally lean towards no as well.

1 Like

Let’s not punch a gift horse in the mouth.

Accept a generous donation and not try to take unfair advantage.

3 Likes

Generally hacking the hrdwr at DMS is discouraged. Consistent maintenance as mentioned and possible bricking of the device are good reasons. And there are potential legal issues. You are attempting to gain/turn on a feature that is normally charged for - vendors/manufacturers see that as theft.

I don’t think there is an “official” policy on this. Brick an expensive piece of gear, you might be given the option to replace what you damaged at your expense and/or be banned. Especially if you did not have permission to do the hack.

And here’s a perspective that most won’t consider/realize. Any organization that has reputation for hacking its gear to gain features for free runs the risk of being dropped/turned down by vendors/manufacturers for donations/sponsorship.

11 Likes

Does CA or ? have an engraver?
Something along the line of vibrating sharp metal point that engraves on metal, plastic, etc.

There were two that I know of: One out in Workshop and one CA. Being shy migratory species finding them is another story.

2 Likes

Art - for the Analog Discovery modules, I suggest we get a set of these when possible.:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=s%2FdyVPQMB4x7a6MPVGWeNg%3D%3D

Anyone want to use the thermal imager to do a lie detection class/event? My Weimaraner never lies. Her nose is always cold.

Was it specifically requested as a donation? I’m not sure how the mouser sponsorship works are you? I have seen thermal imagers used to detect hot spots in computers and test how well “cooling systems” actually work.

In the last few years, Science was hot and heavy for one. Maybe Electronics should gift it to them if they still want one?

So what are you proposing ? Give it back to Mouser ?

Looks like a useful tool to me, so I will oppose that course of action.

Funny how the *itching comes out of the woodwork after the fact.
I asked for input/suggestions and got very little feedback.
Sooo…put a cork in it and move on.

8 Likes

I think that @Team_Jewelry & @nausser915 would find good use with it.

1 Like

This is a great tool and can be used by many different groups. The temperature range is limited to 250C/482F so it probably isn’t useful pyromtery readings for molten metals, heat treating and really isn’t even high enough for annealing temps for most things.

But I’m sure where exact temperatures within it’s range are needed this is a fantastic tool. I can see it being useful in Science where exact temps are necessary (I’m thinking of distillation and separation points) and the ability to seen gradients in liquids for even temps. (How much body heat does a tarantula give off - can they be detected?) I think in automotive casing down leaks or tripping cicuits would be of great help. These were used widely at United Technologies in their Preventive Maintenance programs for detecting motors that were in early stages of wear both for bearings and windings (along with ultrasonic for bearings). I’m sure in tracing HVAC leaks or determining duct outlet temps this would be of great help. In 3D Fan used for checking nozzle temps: programmed vs actual. Of course they can be used in electronics - to what degree I’m no expert but it would they would be good at trouble shooting.

Read an article today they can be used in detecting lies by temperature changes in your nose! Might be great to have projected on a scene during meet the candidate meeting for the BoD or Chairs … or maybe they should be banned. Pinocchio effect

I see no reason it can’t stay in electronics - it like all tools could be checked out for use else where. This is a tool that has been talked about on and off over the last 3 years at least. I think it’s great we have a high quality tool. Art asked for input, apparently nothing of a higher priority was requested so this was chosen. I don’t think it a frivolous addition to DMS’s tools and capabilities.

I can think of some things I’d like to do using it in the Machine Shop when teaching milling: We talk about the effect that lubricants have on cutting temps - now when we demonstrate and show the change in real time. How cool will that be!

5 Likes

have you ever used one? it’s super useful when you’re powering up a new prototype to be able to see an individual overheating chip BEFORE damage is done, rather than waiting for the smoke/smell or burning your finger.

For some reason I was getting the Fluke and the FLIR backwards. The Fluke IR thermal goes to 1600f.

You can use it to try and track down shorts on a PCB… or defective chips by how hot or cold they are compared to surrounding components.

1 Like