Mouser Donation 2018

Still not understanding why there needs to be passive aggressive complaints about a generous donation. If there was something you thought was needed over the item in question just say it and be done with it. That’s the only reason that seems plausible for questioning a high value donation that doesn’t take up a huge footprint at the space.

So your complaint is that we got a tool that several different committees have expressed interest in having as a part of the donation, instead of spending the whole donation budget plus a substantial chunk of money on a tool that likely you are the only one who will ever use. Especially after someone else tries to and lets the smoke out.

Expensive and fragile are a bad combination in the e-lab. And $7K is a LOT of money.

Good call Art.

Can that be used to determine if a custom case (like a Raspberry Pi ABS case) has good air flow?

sure, start with current limiting, but sometimes the current you need for a circuit to function is also enough to blow something in the case of a short. and even when current limiting, this can tell you where the fault is.

no, an IR thermometer is not the same because it’s averaging a huge FOV. big difference when you’re trying to figure out what’s broke or detect a small heat source.

if this is so useless for electronics, why is thermal imaging a top level board on EEVBlog forums?

Unless there are openings to have the flir look through, you can’t see the temperature of the components through the case. You would only get the external temperature of the case.

If the case was easy to open, you could run the system for a determined length of time under predictable load, then open the case and measure for comparison, but even variation in the length of time the case is open can lead to considerable issues with repeatability and comparisons.

The question I’m hoping to answer: “Is there air flowing in from the bottom through the case then out of the top vents?”

So the air does not radiate much heat making it mostly invisible to the camera.

Or is it? Can the camera’s sensitivity be adjusted so the small amount of radiated heat from the air can be detected?

Tool abuse and accidents are not an electronics committee specific issue at the makerspace. Committees handle this in a variety of ways.

Personally, I’m glad we now have the thermal camera. I do, however, think a 4-quadrant SMU is absolutely a perfect piece of equipment to compliment the lab.

1 Like

Perhaps you and Zack can write up a description of what the thing would be used for and what it does.

I’ve been working with electronics for 40 years and in the test equipment business for 20. Never heard of one before this.

I’d personally rather see things like a good VNA first. Or a programmable AC power supply like the Elgar SW5250a.

Make the case for getting the thing Zack wants first.

Would love to try the imager for out YBCO project. The IR portion is just at the 900c we process the pellets at. The K-Type thermocouple jack will let us confirm the inside temp matches with our thermocouples.

I do think it will get used by multiple parties in the space. Just a matter of always getting it back to the eLab!

3 Likes

The gotcha is that most solids are hundreds of times more emissive than the air. So whatever solid is in the background will swamp the pixel. The best bet might be to take a view that sees the sidewall of the vent, and measure that, as an indicator of the approximate temperature of air in the vent.

3 Likes

I would love to have access to one of these. I’m bummed we didn’t get one.

Just chatted with a Keithley rep. Refurbished 2401 is ~$2900.

1 Like

If we ever get one, some form of interface to a PC would be near mandatory. A manufacturer provided LabVIEW driver would be nice as well.

Your description is rather vague though. I still have no feel for why we need this.

Thermal imagers are definitely handy when troubleshooting PCBs. For my personal use, I could actually use an SMU (though not a 4-quadrant) in my work, but I’d still probably go for the thermal camera just because it’s very handy for just about any misbehaving PCB.

(A finger will tell you which chip has a problem. A camera can tell you which pin has a problem.)

As far as the DMS e-lab is concerned, the fact that everyone intuitively understands what the thermal camera is and how it works seems like a +1 for that equipment as well.

2 Likes

“We” may not have a need for one, but for those working on battery-powered IoT devices, these are very useful for predicting battery life and tweaking to maximize it. IoT is internet 3.0 - incredibly valuable skill. I just got a job doing it specifically because of my affiliation with DMS.

2 Likes

Well golly gee.
Guess it’s time to address the unwashed ungrateful masses.
So let’s start w/ the sourcemeter *itching.

Good to know. 2401 is not stocked by mouser. Nor does Mouser offer refurbished gear.
From other threads/PMs the Keithley Model 2450 was recommended.
Mouser price $5340 and currently no stock. Don’t recall if there was stock at the time of the order.
The folks at Mouser stated that items on the “wish list” had to be in stock.
That’s the “entry level” model. Costs increases are in ~$2k increments for the other models.
Part of the engineering gig is learning/figuring how to do things when $$$$$ aren’t in the budget.
Googling “measuring nanoamperes” turns up some options such as:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/picoammeter-design/msg790045/#msg790045
Build a calibrated buffer and put on the front end of one of the Fluke bench meters.
RTFM for bench meter and create data logger.
Moving on. Part of the little feedback suggested not spending the whole donation on one piece of gear.
Along w/ soliciting input/suggestions, here’s the criteria I use for past/present Mouser donations:

1. What don’t we have?
  2. What would complement the gear we do have?
  3. What can we duplicate across multiple benches?
  4. What might be useful to other committees?

Still feeling *itchy?
Wonderful! I will submit your name to run for chair in the May 2019 elections.
Being some kind of hypocrite is not an option.

5 Likes

We appreciate your crumudgenly ways. Walter would be so proud. Sure miss the engaging arguments with him. I’ll drop by the eLab to argue with you.

All kidding aside, we do appreciate you Art. Electronics has the broadest range of interest of any committee. Certainly herding cats!

4 Likes

I like to think of it as if the Machine Shop contained both the Metal Shop and Jewelry Small Metals. It’s all Metal righhhtt?

Hey, I’m not *itching. No even a bit. I didn’t even know there was ever a discussion about source meter. Just saying it would be nice to have, that’s all. I’ll probably end up buying one at work anyway.

CA will debate you on that…

1 Like