More Money More Instruction

Nice article. Yah, I think DMS is ripe for that ability. Already a proven success and perhaps the biggest success in the nation? Not sure, but it’s gotta be close. There are strings attached when you get in bed with politicians, but as long as you get good lawyers then a deal can be struck where your not handcuffed. The key here would be to get the building purchased with a clear deed for $1.00. Typically these buildings are a mess and build-out is extensive which means expensive. Locations may not be ideal either.

20 miles east and 15 miles north would be ideal!! :sunglasses:

25 miles West would work better for me! (Arlington).

Maybe it’s time for a DMS East and a DMS West locations?

2 Likes

Has anyone looked at the old Chevy dealership around the corner? That seems like it would be a good place. Has a lot of space, already has multiple vehicle bays, probably still with lifts. A lot of parking, a separate building that could be used for woodshop/machine shop. No neighbors to upset. And no further for anyone who is already a member.

1 Like

The state bought that for the future expansion of 35.

2 Likes

Meh, future development of any NTX highway just means worse traffic. Ohh well, every time I passed it I thought it would make a nice DMS site.

I would keep on the table the possibility of buying out one of our neighbors. That would include helping them move and get set up at their new location. Regardless of how a new location is acquired, there will the expense of dress out - probably not as expensive as the piecemeal job done here. Location would have to have sufficient pwr access to run all the tools plus room to add. Also if we take full ownership of a building, we take on the full costs of maintenance/repair. Some of our costs are limited/shared w/ the landlord according to the lease agreement.

Has that happened yet? Was either of the neighbors approached this year?

If so, what were their objections and can they be overcome in the next 2 years?

If it’s a possibility, that would be great. If not, then dont need to spend any time on this.

How much sqftage does each neighbor have?

I don’t think anyone has approached any of our close neighbors. The Landlord knows we’re interested and I think we get first option (2nd?) should someone move out. Don’t have any numbers on the size.

I’m wondering if a team were to consider and recon an approach to see if either or both would be interested in a buyout. Could be cheaper than a new building, moving, setup, build-out utilities, etc.

Not a bad idea, until we know If they would consider it or not.

Looking for the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to expand. Helped w/ the last move - done in 3 days. Sorting it and getting things back up and running took months. We’ve added a lot of tools/toys since then. Careful planning will be needed should we decide to move. There will be down time. Goes w/ the growing pains.

3 Likes

But in 2 years, there should be a war chest of moolah to pay for professional setup.

I can’t imagine any way to effectively track this…nor do I see how it’s equitiable. Just because a machine is a higher cost to bring to the space doesn’t mean it’s a higher cost to operate, especially not when the pool of operators is limited and highly trained. I’d wager when the data was pulled the general use tools tend to be the most expensive because they’re used more often and more often broken by misuse. As for the comment about woodshop doing stellar nothing personal to them but I’ve been a member almost 8 months and STILL haven’t been able to register for an open Woodshop Basics class so while they’re rocking on quantity they’re hardly doing much better at backlog than any other tools.

Multiple course is the BASIC level needed for some of these tools. I think maybe you’re missing the point above that there’s not money to pay outside unless the members are going to shell it out and he’s right. I’ve gotten kick back about $5…and heard much grumbling about some classes as low as $20 each. I can only imagine the hissy fits that would ensue if people had to pay real prices for things. You can only put so many strings on stuff (i.e. instructors) that you’re essentially getting for free. There is much grumbling but at the end of the day people want it free/cheap more than they want it quickly

I’ve seen the attendance at the committee meetings. I’m calling BS. There are no eager beavers waiting in the wings to do anything of the sort and unless two weeks at work has totally thrown me off the pulse I don’t know anyone but you that’s got an issue with leadership arrangements in CA. The point isn’t “new people have to shut up” the point is that we aren’t going to put stock in armchair quarterbacks who won’t actually fix the things they’re complaining about. If “that printer” is the Annex equipment there’s pretty good theories on that and active working on it…but again VOLUNTEER is what folks seem to forget. You’re welcome to pay the pro for a service call or install the HVAC to test current theories and remove that issue yourself. If you want to complain about classes teach some. Three classes in a year isn’t squat. I did three my first month. If you take out the trash feel free to complain about the trash or cleanliness of the shop…or devote trash time to teaching.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’m missing the point, and i don’t agree that there is not money to hire help for required basic classes. But it needn’t come to that. In the case of one and done requirements, some areas are providing classes much more frequently than others. My point is this. Responsibility should fall to each group to provide the basics classes for their area. If they’d rather use THEIR committees funds to hire outside folks, ok. Maintenance dollars have to allocated. Maybe for new equipment shouldn’t be allocated if the A group won’t provide the basics course.

1 Like

Wah. There’s no unlike button.

Isn’t that years out? DMS could contract from years 2019 to 2024 and put a feather in the state’s cap.

Last I heard 2020 was the planned Phase 2 start. But that’s the state, so it could be another 15 years.

1 Like

Your response isn’t surprising. Fine. I’m wrong. You win.

BTW, who ended up paying for that eclipse printing snafu, or did CA end up eating the cost? I remember reading that there was a pretty significant difference in canvas used v canvas paid.

I’d bet that was the planning start. Egads. It takes an eternity.

Considering the snafu by the other user wasn’t even on canvas it’s hardly relevant to the shortage you are suddnly bringing up. Or me so youd need to ask them if they settled up. In curious how thats relevant to what we are talking about? Loss prevention would def. be a new thread.

Please refer to your earlier comment about moving goalposts and implications thereof