Minimum age for using woodshop and other tools?

What is the minimum age for using woodshop tools unsupervised? (properly trained, of course)

Machine Shop and Metal Shop have both posted their age requirements in the wiki.

If someone can tell me Woodshop’s policy, I’ll add it to the wiki.

EDIT: I know that the DMS policy requires minors 15 and under to be closely accompanied. That leaves ambiguity for 16 and 17 year olds.

1 Like

@Team_3D_Fab @Team_Laser too, if you please.

2 Likes

Woodshop is 18+

You must be 18+ to take Woodshop 101 thus 18+ to use the Woodshop.

Example Class.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6144

1 Like

Is there an age exception for those 16 and up on the small wood lathes?

2 Likes

I am not sure on that one.

2 Likes

Or for the scroll saw, which doesn’t require Woodshop Basics?

P.S. Good idea to look up the training required!

3 Likes

Following Robert’s logic … I looked up the Laser training and it says 16+.

3 Likes

3d fab you need to be a member so 16+

3 Likes

I added “Minimum age to use the printers in 3D Fab is 16 years old.” to the wiki page. I didn’t know the age for the vacuum former so I specified “printers” in the age caveat.

3 Likes

Mattel sold a toy vacuformer when I was a kid. I was not lucky enough to have one…

4 Likes

I had one and loved it, burned the heck outta myself a few times!

4 Likes

We discussed this in the last woodshop meeting. For the tools required as part of Woodshop 101 you must be 18, no exceptions at this time.
For the band saw and scroll saw, under 18 is ok with a parent/adult actively supervising.
All that said, if we have a minor who is wanting to do a woodworking project they can ask pretty much any of us in the woodshop and we will make the cuts for them, or run the jointer/planer, then they can finish with sanding, glue-ups, or hand tools.
We want to encourage our younger makers but safety has to be the deciding factor.

5 Likes

Lathes? I’m not trying to pick nits but trying to clarify the answer.

EDIT: The Lathe basics class requires 16+ to take the training class. I guess I should assume that 16+ are allowed to operate the lathes unsupervised?

3 Likes

Lathe Basics do not require Woodshop Basics, at least when I took it.

I know that. So that’s why I wanted to know if the 18+ rule applies to lathes since they aren’t part of Woodshop 101.

2 Likes

I’m not positive a decision was made on lathes. I think the idea was to leave that up to the lathe teachers but I can’t say with any certainty.

3 Likes

@talkers John, can you answer this? Are the wood lathes, especially the smaller ones, age 16 and up or 18 and up?

2 Likes

@talkers - could you please weigh in on this? Does a 16-year old taking this class qualify him/her to run the lathe unsupervised, or does it qualify him/her to run the lathe with parental supervision?

2 Likes

Opposing likes at five paces…

2 Likes

There are a few issues involved in this.

1. MakerSpace rules/bylaws restrict power tool usage to members only except in an authorized class.
    To by a member, … I thought you had to be 16. I do not see this in the rules or bylaws any where.
    Bylaws - Section 4.2 Eligibility of Membership
    Membership shall be open to any natural person not suspended or expelled from the corporation under the terms of these Bylaws, or otherwise disqualified by the terms of these Bylaws

So I don’t think there is a hard restriction at the MakerSpace in general by age. Committee can set their own policies.

1. Teacher Liability. Many woodshop teachers would not teach members under 18 because of personal liability worries. Chris Ghaly has taught at least one, having the parent also attend training and acknowledge their responsibility for their child’s safety.

I will teach members, even if they are 16. I would teach as young as 13-14 years old. We as teachers are not experts. We are not a trade school teaching formal apprenticeships. We do provide significantly more training than the tool manufactures.

Personal liability for teachers is a real concern. Our insurance should cover our teachers. Does it? I wonder not just for woodshop, but Metal, blacksmithing, fired arts, auto, jewelry, machine shop…

1. Trained members are allowed to use the tools.

2. The MakerSpace does not require direct parent supervision after age 16.

3. Woodshop allows trained members 16years old and up to use the tools, without direct adult supervision.

4. Parents are still responsible for their children until legal age of maturity. The Liability waiver they sign reminds them of this duty.

This did come up again at the last woodshop, as a 13 year old with his own woodshop wants to be able to use our equipment. @Azalaket asked me to research it.

I am more confused about the age of membership and ability to use tools than before.

@John_Marlow In answer to your question, yes. a 16 year old checked out on the Woodshop tools is allowed to use them without direct parent supervision.

3 Likes