Miller 250 TIG "Return to light" project

Continuing the discussion from Miller 351 TIG Welder Back in Operation.

@TBJK : I know you disassembled the pump on this guy. What parts do we need? I’d love to get it back in operation.

1 Like

I know I’m not Tim, but:

needs the coolant circulation pump. Like so, but maybe not EXACTLY:
https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_173

I keep forgetting to look at it to see EXACTLY which pump is needed, but that’s what it needs to be “testable”.

Perhaps this is the ticket:

I’ll be at the space tonight and will take a look.

1 Like

That LOOKS great, but I don’t know the sizes/etc. Keep forgetting to check while on site. Maybe you’ll remember. :slight_smile:

The issue with what we have is the seal leaked & seized the bearings. Kinda the hold up has been knowing exactly what pump we have. We have a procon series 1 but there are so many variations. The PSI is rated at 55. However we do not know the flow rate. The markings on the pump do not help much either. I’ve scoured for more information other than calling procon itself to get a break down of what pump we have. @Tres0422 & I have discussed it as well

Here is the picture of the pump

1 Like

10523 is listed on the page.

I’ll give 'em a call tomorrow to confirm.

I obsessed about this for many hours when setting up my home syncrowave…ok days. Bottom line is brass or stainless,…we need to get the one w/ the adjustable pressure…not the one typically found in the carbonators for soda machines…flow is usually not an issue…

If you want I can obsess about this one after I finish the slip roller stand…likely today/tomorrow.

We need to get it fixed and operational so we can sell it and the other one and buy a new inverter unit that won’t blow the breakers, is much smaller in size and easier to transport around the shop if needed.

1 Like

Ok I’ll start refreshing my memory…I can also change it out w/ the one off my home setup to get us going…

I suggest talking to Chuck before doing that.

I disagree with selling the 351 and 250 units. They are damn near bulletproof and make excellent fixed-location TIG welders. You don’t want a lot of air movement to blow the Argon shield gas away (a gas lens setup would help here), and TIG is not something you’re going to use for a lot of large-scale projects. Tripping the breakers just means that we need better service to that welder to make it excellent again. :slight_smile:

We’ve already got an inverter unit (Fabricator model XXX) which does stick and lift TIG. Plenty small enough to cart around and do the odd TIG job with. Lift-arc is simple once you get the hang of it. Automotive benefits from the already-mobile MIG setup.

When I last discussed this with @LeeCJones, I thought that two welding stations against the wall with the fume collector, partitioned by a curtain, would work really well. I’ll let him chime in to agree/disagree with this sentiment.

Let’s put what we have to good use!

3 Likes

Just called http://edco-distributing.myshopify.com/ and that is the right pump. We just have to enter the numbers “10523” and “55 PSI” in the order comments box to make sure we get the right one. $85 new from them.

@dallasmagna – who has a card to order this?

3 Likes

The issue with the current operational TIG is the breaker is not large enough to have the A/C function work well for the TIG. The service tech from airgas was the one that said this. I personally didn’t hear him say it. He said that was the reason the a/c TIG wasn’t working right.

Interesting, since I tried to use AC Tig on Friday and thought it might be the spark gap causing problems. I was only using like 30-40 amps, so I’m a little dubious of his claim.

It acted like it has the pulse feature (which we don’t have) turned on. Resorted to elbow grease to break up the oxide on my material instead, since it was a small spot and I could get to it quickly with the torch of DCEN.

WOOHOO! :smiley:

That’s great news!

I honestly couldn’t say for sure since I haven’t used the TIG. But I’ve heard other members say the AC function on aluminum was really squirrelly. Also those same members were saying the other machine worked great for it.

I don’t disagree ar all they are good units. But they draw more way more amps than the circuit is rated for.

If there is a way to physically limit how high the amperage can set to - then I’m totally for keeping them. But I get asked for access to reset breakers all the time, at least once on average any day I’m at Space (not counting Woodshop requests for resets).

The pump has now been ordered.

2 Likes