Spindle/drum sander

@dr_cee has been the primary person working on this

Any update on the spindle sander? When will it be back in action?

Any updates on the spindle sander … Is the broken one getting fixed or is a new one going to be purchased? It sure would be nice to have a spindle sander in the wood shop!

I followed up with @dr_cee on Friday and from my understanding it only needs a gasket and new oil. @wandrson can you confirm? I am happy to help get it running ASAP any way I can.

2 Likes

We are still manufacturing the metal replacement parts. It does have 3D printed replacement parts, which allow it to function, but not sure how reliable they will be.

We have machined six aluminum rings to serve as blanks for the clamp part, and I will be machining one of those this evening into a ‘final’ ring. At which point we will need some TIG welding by someone to attach a bar of aluminum that will get machined into the ‘wing’.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update and help @wandrson! @LeeCJones Can anyone help us TIG weld aluminum?

1 Like

Alright, great! Sounds like it will be up and running very soon! Thank you for the feedback!

I found a link to a manual for the spindle sander. I emailed Andy at State Manufacturing to see if the part is available from them. If the cost is not too great it may be worth taking the burden of fabricating the part off our members hands. I own essentially the same sander made by Tannewitz/MAX and it was a very high use tool in my shop. Would be great for many of our projects at the space.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/798/2378.pdf

2 Likes

I was never able to get State to respond, despite multiple calls and emails. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Maybe they are gone and their website is just still active.

Looked that way to me, but you never know.

So where did this ever end up?

I’m not sure which “Chuck” Walter ( @wandrson ) was working with, but I’m wondering a couple of things:

1. why aluminum?
  2. have we found a willing member to try TIGing these parts?
  3. if not have we decided for or against a professional?
  4. if against, where are we now?
  5. are Walter and Chuck willing to share their work so far (I presume there are 3d “sketches” at the least, since there was a 3d printed mockup)?

I believe you are looking for @dr_cee

2 Likes

The Chuck in question is @dr_cee

1. Because it would be strong enough and MUCH cheaper (and easier to work) then the original bronze casting used
  2. @LeeCJones has agreed to do the welding, but is waiting until TIG machine is repaired
  3. See 2
  4. Glad to share the design files

http://a360.co/2gZPqdz

http://a360.co/2hxvptZ

2 Likes

The pamphlet says State was exclusively distributed by Freeman Mfg. & Supply. Freeman seems to have moved but they are still in the greater Cleveland area and at the same 800- phone number (or 440-934-1902.)

Their website appears that they are very much in business.

Freeman also has a “local” branch in Fort Worth.

TEXAS
3152 S.E. Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX 76140
Tel: 800-792-1047
Tel: 817-551-7301
Fax: 817-568-0908

However, from their website it looks like they don’t necessarily have any parts for State sanders, except for the “abrasives”, which appear to be on “close-out”. But maybe either they can point us in the right direction or maybe we can buy some sanding (spindles?) for good prices.

Or maybe we should just consider buying a Grizzly or comparable?

1 Like

Roger that.
Thank you for the update, and the share.
I can see now that I did not let the thread load fully when looking for “which Chuck”. I can see it’s been stated repeatedly. Sorry about that.

As I am unfamiliar with this machine, what purpose do the “other holes” serve? I can see there is the actuator arm “ear”, and the holes to bolt it to the spindle, but what are the others for?

@TBJK Tim, where are we on “the TIG” machine?
If I recall correctly, the “better” TIG for aluminum was the one with the bad water pump (the Synchrowave 250, I think). I think the pump had been ordered.
Where are we on that?
Anything we can do to help that along?
I know you’re buried in other projects as well, and while I’m probably not competent on a technical level, I can generally follow directions to add/remove bolts to stuff…
As for using the functional TIG machine, I think we’ve exhausted all leads (spark gap adjusted correctly is about all I know we had on that list) and it’s still not working well for Aluminum. Any other ideas/thoughts?
Should I break this into a TIG machine thread?

If your referring to the holes on the ring? They are because only half the ring is needed for the part. Since the ring represents most of the effort in machining this replacement part, from solid aluminum bar, I machined it so that we had a practise side and a used side. Chuck and I also thought the ring, when attached to the spindle, would help reduce warping during the welding process.

1 Like

We still need the pump. I’m not sure if Airgas did anything with that machine or not. It is a Procon pump series 1. I don’t remember the exact model number but it’s is in the casting on the pump. The pump is not too expensive. We also need the coupling as well.

1 Like

I’ve put yellow boxes around the holes in question.

I understand this will basically make 2 parts when cut in half. I think the holes are there in the original as well as the replacement, but I seem to be missing their point.
Maybe all 4 are actually used for securing it to the spindle…?

1 Like

Two of the four are for securing with shcs, the other two have roll pins, presumably for alignment.

1 Like