Metal shop scrap - everything inside bin must go

The scrap bin in the metal shop has been used for pieces too in appropriate to leave due to size.

Right now, come take as much as you can, all of it if you can. Everything in the scrap bin except the hint itself.

Recycle it, make rifle targets, make a project we don’t care. Just get it out. Give back a bit by taking something put there that shouldn’t belong.

All else fails we dispose ourselves, but we’ll give someone who wants the metal a chance at it first.

Cheers,
-Jim

5 Likes

Can I make Damascus with it?

1 Like

Remember before you throw it away, people will literally pay DMS to take this metal away :slight_smile: Metal scrappers are only a call away!

4 Likes

Yes, but we’re giving members first dibs as a courtesy

Maybe, come take a peek and see what you find but good luck

Oh, no in this case I know nothing about bare metal other than its faster than a virtual machine. :wink: Not to say I wouldn’t want to try, just …

Denzuko when visiting metal shop or anything outside the matrix

Would love to have get “combat training” downloaded though

2 Likes

Note: IT IS ONLY METAL IN THE BIN OR LEANING AGAINST IT. This isn’t grab all the metal you can see or find.

Thanks

2 Likes

Dammit,

No “Grad” or “Grabbing” of those items that are clearly not scrap you say?

'Tis a shame that we need a note like this posted at all.

Thanks corrected. But it has happened in the past.

1 Like

Recyclers have been reached out to for information. If anyone has worked with a recycler that would be interested in this or has worked with DMS before, please let me know so I can reach out.

So far few take a pile this small, but since Makers haven’t done anything with it I’m making calls. Goal is to have it gone immediately so we can make some new shelving & more space.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

This is just a clean up so we continue to have a scrap bin, yes?
I have gotten a fair amount of stock for tool making from that bin.

Everything I’ve ever made out of metal at the space has been with the scrap bin lol. Sway bar end links, skid pads, body mounts, washers, brackets, motor mounts, and more!

We discussed it at the metal shop meeting.

I believe the plan was to have a smaller bin, since currently the scrap bin seems to be filled with 4’x4’ swiss cheese from the PlasmaCAM that makes it hard to search through for other types of scrap.

2 Likes

its metal right, couldn’t one just cut down to size and melt some ingots?

1 Like

You might be oversimplifying it a tiny bit.

I guess we could start a Bessemer SIG.:wink: And then do what with the bastardized alloy?

2 Likes

Bessemer SIG.:wink: And then do what with the bastardized alloy?

Count me in, we could idk explore mode castings, blacksmithing, Damascus. Maybe run a few classes on material density and composition?

1 Like

You might be oversimplifying it a tiny bit.

Me? Nah… might have lived in a town that subsided itself off scrap metal for a little too long and maybe played a little too much sky factory but no… never :wink:

1 Like

oh I know, besides making steel filamite for advance mesh weaves and other fancy high tech stuff like that…

How about 1:12 size model trains?

2 Likes

To everyone here, we are still going to have a scrap bin. It will be smaller, as this bin has been abused by plasma cutters to leave their giant cutouts that don’t provide much in the way of usable scrap.

Pieces like stock cut offs etc will still be accepted, but no giant 95% used sheets.

2 Likes