Metal shop scrap - everything inside bin must go

One last call for anyone to take scrap they want; none of the recyclers will pay anything for it since it’s too small, and so far none of the “free scrap metal pickups” have replied. I’d be very disappointed if it costs us to dispose of this because of people tossing in those giant pieces they aren’t supposed to.

Regards,
-Jim

Respectfully, is there some signage ive missed about how people are not supposed to put in their scraps from plasma cutting? I’m not guilty of this, however I am confused by the concept that is not illogical. If it is labeled a scrap bin and you put in scrap, how is this wrong? Would not the waste from the plasmacam be scrap?

1 Like

I believe the point of a “scrap bin” is that it’s for scrap, not trash. I think most members can’t really use the trash from the plasmacam cutouts because people who cut them out make sure that as much of the metal is used by the cuts as possible.

I agree with you however that if we change policy we should post it. I think in this case a lot of the issue is the people who cut out a sheet bigger than would fit in the scrap bin and then just lean it on the bin and call it good.

Personally, I use scrap to practice welding and to show what different types of metals weld like to students and for that purpose the scrap bin is pretty difficult to use in it’s current state because getting a good piece of metal out of the bin is like playing a meaner adult version of pick up sticks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pick-up_sticks

I would prefer that the plasmacam cuts go home with the person who brought in the stock or were reduced to their usable parts (if you don’t use a corner then cut that off and throw it in the bin, but don’t leave the 1/4" slivers attacked to it).

At the very least cut them into 1 foot by 1 foot squares so they aren’t a cage for the real scrap people might be looking to use.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the confusion here is that metal is never treated as trash in a situation like this. Nothing says someone couldnt make use of the bits from the large plasmacam sheet cutouts. I totally agree that they should be cut into manageable chunks.

There is signage indicating to not put PlasmaCAM cuts in the scrap bin since they are not generally usable, and it is part of the training.

Regards,
-Jim

2 Likes

Hasn’t been part of the training I’ve given, either (that being based on Zach’s and Tim’s and Brady’s, etc.) but we can incorporate it, if desired.
I haven’t been to Metal Shop in longer than I care to recall, but hope to make it in soon, and I hope the signage is a self-evident reminder of this.

This has been on signage on the plasmacam computer for quite some time; was definitely in the training I was in. If it’s not being taught by all the teachers, it should be.

It’s not a rule of mine, it was here before I was. I’ll see if I can make some better signage for the plasmacam. I know we had to cycle out one of the computers recently and one sign was on it, and another sign was on the table itself.

1 Like

Maybe put it above the bin as well? I know that’s where I would look as I’m getting ready to toss it in the bin.

should be easy enough to do.

I think there is a confusion or compression of terms.

I have a 3 foot by 1 foot piece of steel that I got cheap. I use 2 foot by 1 foot and do not need the 1 foot by 1 foot piece. That is valid scrap.

I have a 3 foot by 1 foot piece of steel that I got cheap. I use the plasma cutter to cut out as many throwing stars as possible. The result is a piece of metal with lots missing and nothing left for any one else. This is trash.

Maybe there should be a size rule and a cut off rule? If by my example I cut 2 feet of stars and had 1 foot that was still useable by someone else, I should cutoff the swiss cheese area (throw that away) and leave the 1 foot bt 1 foot in the scrap bin.

I think the term scrap may be confusing people. I also think there is a “conservative” mind set that thinks, “1 square inch still useable let me put that in the scrap bin.”

I think scrap is confusing in this use.

I think assigning a minimum continuous excess would be valuable.

I think making people responsible for cutting off the swiss cheese and throwing that away is responsible.

Finally, Ace Iron on Irving Blvd (Relatively close to Mockingbird for a reference point) will buy the swiss cheese metal for cash. They also sell by the pound, I bought an office chair for .30 cents a pound, $12 TTL. IF they have what you need, it is dirt cheap compared to new.

2 Likes

Agreed on this; scrap here is meant to be pieces that are reasonably usable (i.e. cutoff pieces or stock or sections of sheet). I’m working out a way to best convey this, but it’s not an easy problem especially if the makers are in the middle of something and can’t stop to read a massive list of things.

I’ll look into them; so far every scrapper has said it’s too small for them to bother.

Edited for horrible spelling

Im a customer of ace. Long story short, you show up with scrap, get weighed, unload, get paid. Real simple. Don’t think they pick up.

1 Like

Whelp, who can help me load the truck later tonight or sometime tomorrow to bring it by then?

Cheers,
-Jim

Bingo! I think the operative phrase is “re-usable cutoffs”.

2 Likes

I think this is the crux of this whole thing.
I think people don’t know what “the right thing” is to do with “scrap” or “waste”. They don’t want to put it in the dumpster. It’s recyclable, after all. Problem is, it takes so much to be worth a treck to a recycler, etc.

So, for my $1.00, let’s help people know what the right thing is to do with their swiss cheese, and help them do it, rather than creating “rules” or “guidelines” about blah blah blah…
I think suggestions will help, more than rules, in this case.
Also, instructors and others being on the same page.
Also, “others” assisting when we see someone “behaving badly”, and having the (right) alternative readily at hand.

1 Like

I need practice with some pieces like from Malcolm’s Tig class with mild steel. I don’t yet have enough experience to make sure I choose appropriate materials from the bin. Please if it is getting hauled off tomorrow, could someone save me several small items that are safe that I can practice with. I will be there for MIG class tomorrow night (Thurs) and can remove from the premises to make space.

1 Like

I’m setting aside some scrap that is particularly good for practicing welding (good material, interesting challenges like tubes and some thin walls, etc).

Most of it is going bye-bye though; I loaded the fist batch into my truck and am running to Ace Metal shortly.

Cheers,
-Jim

7 Likes

Thanks for taking on Metal Shop, Jim.

The motor that MIGHT go on the donation shelf. Please don’t.

Are you suggesting not putting it on the shelf, or not scrapping it?

Not putting it on the donation shelf. Please.