Metal Sheer (Project finished in Nov. 2014)

I’m working on a light up sign for the VECTOR committee and I need some flashing cut in half on the long dimension. Currently the metal is 10 inch x 48 in x 1/16 inch approx. Finished I would like strips 5 inch x 48 inch x 1/16 inch.

Can any of one help me with this?

Thanks
Nick Sainz

Without a shear the table saw is probably your best bet. Run it across on top of a piece of wood. With the appropriate blade, of course.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion,
I’m new to cutting metal on the table saw, do you have a suggested blade by chance?

Thanks,
Nick Sainz

Maybe the Machine Shop Committee could be persuaded into purchasing one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

Nice suggestion Mike,

i’m not sure I could be persuasive enough to sell it, I believe we already have a Bend Brake about that size at the space. These tool are pretty specialized and sheet metal work at the space is kind of uncommon, probably because we don’t have the tools, but still a hard sell.

Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

We talked about getting a Grizzly version at one point. I think it’d be good to have and I know there are people with a like mind on that.

We had one of these Harbor Freights donated and it broke in a few months when someone probably put 1/2 hardened steel in it thinking that was ok. We will never know since no one spoke up.

After reading my post it sounds so negative. That was not intentional. I just wanted to pass on what happened to ours in the hope it would help in making a decision. A tool like this is what I call an entry tool which allows people to work in sheet metal. Similar to how a table saw will allow people to work in wood. Adding a jig saw, wood jointer, etc would make things easier but the entry tool would be the table saw in the case of wood.

For comparison here’s a comparable model from Grizzly and twice the price.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-3-in-1-Sheet-Metal-Machine/G4011Z

Looks like it was last discussed back in August of 2012: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Regular_Member_Meeting_20120809

If I remember correctly, the plan was to buy a Grizzly cabinet saw and order this thing at the same time to save on shipping. Greg Needel loaned us his Delta table saw and we lost interest in buying a Grizzly saw. I think the shear/brake/roll was forgotten about after this, but I’ve heard people say “hey, whatever happened to…” when sheet metal is discussed.

As far as HF goes, I think people would be willing to pay a premium to avoid it. FYI, If you say HF three times in a row at DMS, a mob appears and attacks you. :wink:

1 Like

I’d toss in $50 towards one but another $750 is a long ways away!

OK, I’m in with Lampy for another $50

As far as Machine Shop buying a roll/brake/shear, I don’t really see that as a fit. But if the committee wants it I’d be happy to have one on general principle.

As to what blade, I think any carbide rip will do. Just my opinion, I’ve never tried it.

FYI - Here’s a typical review on Grizzly:

I have a Grizzly G4011 30" 22ga capacity, it will do the job if you stay within it ratings, but don’t try to push it much past 20 ga, the slip rolls are not very user friendly, it is hard to get them aligned to roll evenly, good if all you want to make are cones though. the 90 deg fence on the shear is short enough to be completely useless, and the backstop is more trouble to adjust and square up than it’s worth. The fingers on the brake are so short you can not bend a very deep box at all.

I would definately recomend buying a better machine than this.

To: [email protected]

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:10 PM

Subject: Need access to a metal sheer (Please Help)

Kentamanos

November 20We talked about getting a Grizzly version at one point. I think it’d be good to have and I know there are people with a like mind on that.

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/need-access-to-a-metal-sheer-please-help/477/6 in your browser.To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

How about the DMS band saw for cutting your metal? Get someone to help you hold it and pull it along. Use gloves.

Thanks everyone for the posts and great suggestions. I’m going to try and cut the metal on the table saw this weekend.

On the idea of purchasing a sheer I am fulling willing to throw in $50 as well to hopefully save this from being an issue for other members in the future. A 3 foot sheer would be ideal and would work with our metal brake at the space.

Thanks again for the support and suggestions, you guys just un-stalled my project.

:smile:

I don’t know how I missed this post previously, but I wanted to post in case some else comes across it in the future.

Cutting metal on the table saw is forbidden. Especially if it is ferrous (steel). Throwing sparks into saw dust is not good.

What if it’s aluminum or something non ferrous you ask? Still no. Wood shop gave metal shop a chop saw to prevent this from happening as aluminum shavings ended up in peoples wood pieces. If it doesn’t fit in the chop saw, I don’t know what to say but please don’t work with metal in the wood shop. People are sanding metal in the wood shop and we have the same issue. If metal shop doesn’t have the tools you want take interest in the committee and help out.

2 Likes

Did you ever get your metal cut ? I can probably get it done at work if not. We have a HUGE shear here.

2 Likes

The table saw actually worked a charm and knocked out the cuts in no time. I did clean the saw before and after use, so any issues with metal chips where not my doing and as the saw was clean while I worked, fire hazard was also not an issue. I understand the fear of cutting metal in the woodshop, but I took all percations and finished my project without issue.

@tmc4242 thank you for the offer the use of your sheer. I will definitely take you up on it in the future, this project was finished in November of 2014 so I have no need at the current moment. But we are planning on making a few replacement back doors for the VECTOR committee in the near future and having access to a large sheer would be great.

While you are competent enough to not cause problems, it sets a precedent for someone who doesn’t know what they are doing to come along and try to emulate you. No metal in the woodshop may be restrictive, but it is a necessary rule to keep everything running smoothly.

1 Like